TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

TNA Preview 6-16-04

Guest MikeSC
Did I just come on here and say ban this guy out of the blue, or where we discussing something prior to that?  I thought so.

I simply made a comment and you flipped out.

Anyway, yes, my posts are all serious, because I come here to discussion the ongoings of TNA, not to insult people for liking or not liking the same things I like.

I don't CARE if you like what I like. If you make asinine and poorly thought out points, I have no qualms about undressing you about that.

If we disagree, then fine, but I'm not going to call people stupid for not thinking the same way I do.

I don't call all TNA marks stupid. Just the ones who clearly ARE stupid.

That would be the difference between my posts and your posts.  That and the fact that I don't come off as a pompous, arrogant know-it-all.

No, the difference is that I can make a point better than you and won't sit here and pretend that TNA is doing really well now when it clearly is not.

I state things as opinion, you state them as fact, when your opinion doesn't constitute fact any more than anyone else's around here.  Weep for me all you'd like.

If you mistake anybody's opinion here as a fact, then you're an idiot.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
1) Their current World Champ has NEVER shown an ability to draw.

I hate that arguement.

People didn't stop watching WCW just because of Jeff Jarrett wearing the gold.

Numbers dropped during his reign, so they clearly weren't enamored with him. He's also been champ in TNA for the majority of ITS existence, and the buyrates are still horrid and they still can't sell out the Asylum.

They stopped watching because the product was pure shit and the contenders were lackluster. It was the same with Diesel, but everyone is quick to forget that. It's the same with Eddie now.

SD is drawing fans to shows somehow. And who forgot that Nash was a crap draw? He didn't draw as World Champ in his life. Eddy is putting butts in the seats. Jeff never has. Jeff never will.

Then again, with Eddie, people actually use the excuse of the poor product because he's a great wrestler. Funny that.

House show attendance is on an uptick with SD --- no, I don't know why, either. Eddy puts asses in the seats.

And he's so much better than Jeff that words can't begin to describe it.

-=Mike

I simply made a comment and you flipped out.

You almost never simply make a comment. That is the problem

No, the difference is that I can make a point better than you and won't sit here and pretend that TNA is doing really well now when it clearly is not.

I'm not pretending like they are doing anything that they are not. I'm also not pretending like their dead in the water either. I'm saying that they are here and that is. Where they will be in 2 years, I don't know. But dead, I don't really think so. That is all.

If you mistake anybody's opinion here as a fact, then you're an idiot.

More name calling...my point exactly. If you misread, I'll explain my point to you again. I didn't say that I mistook your opinion for fact, I said that you stated it as if it were a fact, when in actuality it is far from it. If you have any further misunderstanding, I'll gladly clear them up for you.

I hate that arguement.

People didn't stop watching WCW just because of Jeff Jarrett wearing the gold. They stopped watching because the product was pure shit and the contenders were lackluster. It was the same with Diesel, but everyone is quick to forget that. It's the same with Eddie now.

Then again, with Eddie, people actually use the excuse of the poor product because he's a great wrestler. Funny that.

Exactly. One man does not make or break a show, unless its Hulk Hogan and this is 1984. A champion is only as good as his challengers. Austin had Foley, Kane and Taker, and later Rocky and HHH. HHH had Rocky and Foley. Benoit has HBK and HHH. Now, I never really watched WCW, even during the NWO run, so I may be missing something (and if I am, please enlighten me), but who did Jarrett have to work with? David Arquette? Booker T could have been good, but he was thrown into the title picture without and build up and was damaged because of it. DDP? He was damaged by being involved in the whole Arquette mess. Jarrett's challengers were weak and by the time his run began, WCW was crumbling under the weight of its own excesses. To blame Jarrett for the collapse, when the problems that lead to it started before he started his run on top, is clearly unfair. And I'm no big Jarrett fan.

I disagree with the comment about Jarrett drawing a crowd. There are quite a few groups of people at the show every wednesday night that support him. Now it is usually the same regular crowd each week and there hasn't been a compltetly sold out night since Raven vs. Jarrett. But he has his supporters, just not so many.

I hate that arguement.

Numbers dropped during his reign, so they clearly weren't enamored with him. He's also been champ in TNA for the majority of ITS existence, and the buyrates are still horrid and they still can't sell out the Asylum.

Did the numbers rise when DDP was champ? Or Arquette? Or Russo? Or Steiner? Or Booker? Do you see where I'm going. People don't watch wrestling just to see the champions. This ain't boxing. People can be persuaded to watch shows if there's a good undercard and poor main eventers. In Hogan and Flair's peaks, that wasn't strictly true. Now, it is.

They stopped watching because the product was pure shit and the contenders were lackluster. It was the same with Diesel, but everyone is quick to forget that. It's the same with Eddie now.

SD is drawing fans to shows somehow. And who forgot that Nash was a crap draw? He didn't draw as World Champ in his life. Eddy is putting butts in the seats. Jeff never has. Jeff never will.

No. With Nash, my point is people forget the fact that 1995 was a horrible year all 'round, not just with Nash. It's no solely Nash's fault that 1995 was a poorly drawing year for the company. Partly, yes. Mostly, yes.

Eddy's a draw? Maybe on the house show circuit. I wouldn't know, since I don't regularly check that sort of thing. Explain Judgement Day's buyrate...without the word 'Bradshaw', or we can all safely say that Summerslam's poor buyrate wasn't Diesel's fault, it was all Mabel's.

House show attendance is on an uptick with SD --- no, I don't know why, either. Eddy puts asses in the seats.

And he's so much better than Jeff that words can't begin to describe it.

-=Mike

Again, I didn't know house show attendance was up and to be honest I didn't think that in itself made for a successfully drawing champion.

And, yeah, Eddie is miles better than Jarrett, no doubt.

Guest MikeSC

I hate that arguement.

Did the numbers rise when DDP was champ? Or Arquette? Or Russo? Or Steiner? Or Booker? Do you see where I'm going. People don't watch wrestling just to see the champions. This ain't boxing. People can be persuaded to watch shows if there's a good undercard and poor main eventers. In Hogan and Flair's peaks, that wasn't strictly true. Now, it is.

If you want to be called a ME'er --- this is part of the equation. If you don't draw, you're not a good ME'er. DDP was not one. Booker was not one. Steiner was not one.

However, by the same token, these guys aren't pretending to be ME'ers in a company that is trying to be national, either.

If it was only WCW that I base this on, you'd have a sound argument. You really would. But he's been the man in charge of TNA, also. He's in control of almost every aspect of the promotion.

And it's been a dud.

No. With Nash, my point is people forget the fact that 1995 was a horrible year all 'round, not just with Nash. It's no solely Nash's fault that 1995 was a poorly drawing year for the company. Partly, yes. Mostly, yes.

A solid-drawing ME'er can overcome crap booking and horrible matches. Austin's first WWF World Title run wasn't in the midst of a sea of epic matches. He simply drew people to the show in spite of that.

Eddy's a draw? Maybe on the house show circuit. I wouldn't know, since I don't regularly check that sort of thing. Explain Judgement Day's buyrate...without the word 'Bradshaw', or we can all safely say that Summerslam's poor buyrate wasn't Diesel's fault, it was all Mabel's.

I can say this --- the ONLY reason bought the show was to see Eddy's match.

-=Mike