TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

How many times has a cage match NOT been the ME

HHH and Mankind opened SummerSlam 97 with a cage match.

Bret and Owen Hart had their cage match go on second last at SummerSlam 94. Apparently, the battle of the Undertakers was more important than the World Title at that point.

The Hardy's had cage matches with both the Dudleys (at Survivor Series 2001) and Edge/Christian (cant remember the event) that went on in the mid-card.

Guest Askewniverse

Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage (SuperBrawl 1996)

The Rock vs. Ken Shamrock vs. Mankind (In Your House: Breakdown)

The Wall vs. Billy Kidman (Souled Out 2000)

Val Venis vs. Rikishi (Fully Loaded 2000)

HHH vs. Jericho (Judgment Day 2002)

Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham (Great American Bash 1991)

The third fall of Austin vs. HHH at No Way Out 2001 was a cage match.

I'm fairly certain that Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard wasn't the main event at Starrcade 1985.

Guest Trivia247

Ole Anderson vs Big Bubba Rodgers

Cage match with texas deathmatch rules Jim Crocket Cup Tournay 87

Guest krazykat72

"Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham (Great American Bash 1991)"

this was absolutely the Main Event, it was promoted as such when Flair was involved and was the focus of the show.

this was absolutely the main event as well. It was pushed *far* harder than anything else on the card including the Rock/Angle title match

-Paul Jacobi-

this was absolutely the Main Event, it was promoted as such when Flair was involved and was the focus of the show.

Agreed. Despite going on last, I refuse to believe a cage match with Missy and Paul E was the main event.

IIRC, SuperBrawl VI was promoted as a double main event with Savage / Flair and Hogan / Giant.

Guest Trivia247

Xpac vs Jericho (It think) Unforgiven 2000

Thundercage electrified Cage Masato Tanaka vs Kintaro Kanemura At the 10th FMW Annversey show (I thinK)

..That was seriously a match? You're not shitting me, right?

Wow.

Guest Askewniverse

this was absolutely the main event as well. It was pushed *far* harder than anything else on the card including the Rock/Angle title match

-Paul Jacobi-

Agreed.  Despite going on last, I refuse to believe a cage match with Missy and Paul E was the main event.

IIRC, SuperBrawl VI was promoted as a double main event with Savage / Flair and Hogan / Giant.

I'm aware that technically, those matches were the main event. However, I was going by card placement. It's a lot easier to come up with matches that way (insert smilie here).

Xpac vs Jericho (It think) Unforgiven 2000

So close...it was No Mercy 2000.

Just thought I'd point it out. Sorry if I come across as a smart-ass.

Guest Astro

Mideon vs Bossman Raw 99

Cage match lasted 1:03 if I recall correctly, Check February/March results

Guest Choken One

..That was seriously a match? You're not shitting me, right?

Wow.

I was there...

It was supposed to be a Caged Heat Match with Jarrett and Benoit (as a part of the Triple Threat Theatre gimmick...one of the ONLY things wwe stole from WCW in the last stages)

The Triple Threat Theatre was early version of a 3 Stages of Hell.

Instead of Getting Benoit/Jarrett we got Kidman Vs Deano Malenko (his final WCW apperence) in a catch can match (meaning first to touch floor loses) where Melenko fucked up about 1 minute into the fucking thing. Kidman Vs Saturn in a Strap match or something, I dont care to remember (also Saturns last WCW show) and then Shane Douglas, leader of the famed Revolution opted out of his spot and THE WALL was the replacement.

Guest Choken One

Ahh...Figures. I just played on my cell phone the whole time waiting for Benoit to come out...watched in complete bordom and then shook my head as the crowd collectively shat on Benoit winning.

Guest Sturgis
I'm fairly certain that Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard wasn't the main event at Starrcade 1985.

If I'm not mistaken Starrcae 85' was in Atlanta, GA & Greensboro, NC, & this was the main event in Greensboro & Atlanta had Flair/Dusty where Dusty "won" the title.

Don't think you can really call Magnum / Tully the main event on that basis. By that same logic, WrestleMania 2 was a triple main event.

Butch Reed and Billy Graham had a cage match at MSG, although I am not sure if it was the main event or not as I recall it was in the middle of the card I think and a tag match was at the end

The thing to remember about WWF cage matches was that in the 70s and 80s, especially at house shows, they would be the main event but done in the middle of the show so they could announce next month's lineup without giving the finish of the main event away.

The thing to remember about WWF cage matches was that in the 70s and 80s, especially at house shows, they would be the main event but done in the middle of the show so they could announce next month's lineup without giving the finish of the main event away.

Yep, very important to note. The policy of putting the main event - cage match or otherwise - on right before intermission is frequently done even to this day.

If you look at some of the shows from the 1980s, you'd see Hogan working mid-way through the card with a match like the Rockers vs. the Conquistadors going on last. By no means was the tag match advertised as the "main event".