TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Megaman collection

Quickman's stage apparently was the origin of those ****ing insta-kill lasers. ARRGH!!

Beat a few more bosses--got Picture Set 1 and the Jungle theme music.

Again, haven't actually beaten a single game yet--been hopping around from game to game, so probably a good bit of goodies are unlocked by beating X number of bosses.

Yeah you gotta beat bosses to unlock stuff. Just like AndrewTS there I haven't been a game yet, came close on Megaman 2 but just got tired of dying from spikes. But I've beaten all the bosses on Megaman 1 and 2 and I've unlocked the Atomic Planet credits, Tribute to Megaman (song), and photo art 1. So I say worry about beating the games later and just go after the bosses.

I thought you would be able to save your game in the middle of the Wily stages. I was half way through them in VII, and I turned it off. Now I'm kind of pissed.

I thought you would be able to save your game in the middle of the Wily stages. I was half way through them in VII, and I turned it off. Now I'm kind of pissed.

You can't at all, you have to write down a password, or what? I was about to finish the first in MMVII, but after Bass I was down to a sliver of energy and an enemy snuck in a hit and killed me on my last life.

I seem to recall hearing that you could get a new password after each of the Wily stages in most of the games, and I'm almost certain you would be able to save after each of the final stages in the X games.

I seem to recall hearing that you could get a new password after each of the Wily stages in most of the games.

Pressing select mid-game gives you the password. I haven't tried any of them yet, though. But they all seem to be different for each Wily-boss stage.

I seem to recall hearing that you could get a new password after each of the Wily stages in most of the games.

Pressing select mid-game gives you the password. I haven't tried any of them yet, though. But they all seem to be different for each Wily-boss stage.

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. I'm quite surprised since MMVII even saves the E-Tanks you have.

If you enter passwords from a new game, will it give you credit for beating bosses or only the ones you beat while playing the game on there?

I haven't tried it yet, but in MM1 can you fight the bosses you beat already from a saved game? I heard the original Mega Man on NES wouldn't let you play completed stages, so I'm not sure.

Also, for earlier games, if you use up a E-Tank, will it be there again if you re-enter the stage? It's not a problem in MMVII since you can buy more anyway, but I was wondering.

I'm a bit annoyed that the earlier MMs don't save the number of E-Tanks you collected...

You cant save progress in Wily stages.

There's no need to use the passwords. It autosaves with the memory card.

You can't fight bosses over again(except when you HAVE to in Wily castle) in any of them.

Im not sure about E tanks.

So once I beat the Yellow Devil, I have to still go ahead and finish the rest of the game without saving? Nuts. If I have to use a continue, will I still have my progress saved as long as I don't exit the game?

In my defense, I never played the NES games, so every one of these games save for 7 and 8 are new to me.

It boggles me that the same company that made these made that piece of crap X6. In some ways I like Mega Man 1 more than most of the newer platformers...you don't HAVE to have a huge sprite for your protagonists.

I haven't actually tried any of the Wily stages yet seriously...it's the apprehension that's getting to me. I remember Yellow's great grandson Black kicking the crap out of me in X5 and I'm afraid of it happening again. Then again, I did beat that guy so maybe I can with Yellow.

Damn me for insisting on playing Normal with 3 lives.

You can switch it to easy, Navi and 5 lives mid game. Just switch it in the options then go to your load game and it will work.

You have infinite continues in all of them. If you beat the yellow devil and die on the next stage you can just continue on that stage.

Oh, okay. Thank you. :)

And NO, I'm not switching to Easy! I refuse to! I will beat that filthy yellow sucka fair and square! :P

Generally, 3 lives is all you need on the normal levels. I'll usually play the stage until I have it wired and can get through w/o dying. Then I'll sacrifice a life to fight the boss and learn his pattern.

I'll try to win with just the Mega Buster if I have a life to spare, but if he's really a cheap SOB I'll go with the boss weapon if necessary.

Stuff like Guts Man's lifts may throw wrenches in my plans, but generally I do fine that way.

Does Air Man use the same basic attack patterns as Storm Eagle and Tengu Man? If so, I can't wait to slaughter him.

Oh, something I think they shouldn't have changed from Mega Man 1--weak enemies in the pre-boss chamber. So if you were low on energy you could fill up on weapon energy and health before fighting the boss. In nearly every other Mega Man game you couldn't do that.

So once I beat the Yellow Devil, I have to still go ahead and finish the rest of the game without saving?  Nuts.  If I have to use a continue, will I still have my progress saved as long as I don't exit the game?

What's the yellow devil?

MM1's still one of the best mega man games. And MM2 and MM3 are the best, so that should be fun if you never played them before.

Air Man's kinda tough if you don't have the right weapon.

Yup--alias the Yellow Cyclops, alias "Rock Monster," etc. Turns into a series of blocks that flies across the screen and needs to be memorized perfectly to dodge them.

So, what's all the hate for MM6 for? It seems to have a lot of good ideas, like the multiple paths, the introduction of the Rush upgrades, and quite a few secret areas in the levels I've seen. I guess the level design just isn't quite as inspired and it's too much of a rehash of the older games.

It's still gold compared to X6, though. :P

Air Man's kinda tough if you don't have the right weapon.

What weapon are you using? I've only ever used regular shot against him, with good effect - doesn't it do more damage the closer you are?

I dunno, I thought that, but it's been ages since I played (still don't have a copy of the new collection) so I could be wrong.

Air Man is nothing like Tengu Man or Storm Eagle.

I like MM6 a lot. I think the series got better as it went on.

The best part about the collection is changing the controls to match modern games. Being able to switch weapons and rush parts with the shoulder buttons is such a simple thing ,but it's very useful.

Can I say how much that I love 8-bit gaming? I've been having a feverish nostalgia trip ever since purchasing this fine compilation of Mega Man games.

MMII was the first in the series I ever played, or even bought, so it's my favourite of the series. The only other games I've played outside of this compilation are I & III, so it's kind of cool to finally get to check out the rest of the series.

I've finished I, II & III and I'm going to start IV tonight. :)

I also certainly hope that the Mega Man X series gets the compilation treatment down the road! :D

Why aren't you playing the games in order?

Why would I? Also, I've made it clear that I'm playing them by hopping from game to game, so I have played 2.

When you get to 2 and 3, you'll see why people hate 6.

That doesn't answer my question. 6 doesn't seem to have terrible level design to me, and like I said there's some good ideas implemented. So what horrid game play am I missing? Is it the difficulty? Because 6 does seem a lot easier than the others.

how are MM7&8? I played all the NES versions. 2, 3, and 5 are the best, IMO. 2 & 3 in particular have a warm spot in my heart. Just terrific games.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I bought the collection, brand new, and My PS2 won't read it! Argh! Time for a new PS2.

So far, I've only beat 7, but I haven't played into all the Wily stages for all the other games. The only new game to me is 8. Personally, here's how I rank the games, except 8, with the top being the best...

3 was one of the first games I ever played on NES. None of the games are anywhere near bad, but I just never liked the the characters in 6 and 4, except for basically Knight Man (6) and Pharoah Man (4).

I can't pass the snowboarding section of Frost Man's level in Mega Man 8. It took me several times to beat the easy part, but the one that starts you off fast kicks my ass.

As a rule, I'm not good at levels in side scrolling beat em ups / action games where you're suddenly put on a vehicle and have to dodge things or immediately die (see: Battletoads)

Shade Man having Ghost and Goblins music in Power Fighters is an awesome touch. Is it that way in the Mega Man 7 game as well? I don't seem to recall that.

how are MM7&8? I played all the NES versions. 2, 3, and 5 are the best, IMO. 2 & 3 in particular have a warm spot in my heart. Just terrific games.

7 is flawed but likable. It had the misfortune to come out around the time of Mega Man X, and didn't really carry over any of the new gameplay developments. You do have a shop to purchase upgrades, lives, special items etc. and there are upgrades found throughout the levels (note: find the ones in the stages so you don't have to buy them, since they're the same ones). You can even buy E-Tanks after you use them--you can hold a max of 4 E-Tanks and 4 W-Tanks. The upgrades include the old Rush Jet and Rush Coil, plus Super Adapter (Jet Mega Man and Power Mega Man all in package), Rush Search, and Proto Shield. Oh, there are a few other upgrades that aren't quite as exciting, but worth nabbing. :)

My biggest issue with 7 is that it unnecessarily made Mega's sprite HUGE! He's like thrice the size of the little blue bot from the NES games. So, there's less of the screen that you can see, so either the game is far easier than the NES games, or it's unwieldy to maneuver Mega because of his size.

Mega Man 8 has a smaller Mega Man, and brings back the bolt-collecting, upgrade-buying aspects of MM7. However, many of the boss weapons are useful for exploring, like the Thunder Claw (which seems to be a direct rip-off of Samus' grappling beam) and seem to add more of a X-ish feel to the game. However, Mega Man has so many animation frames his responsiveness is sluggish compared to the old days. Everything is extremely well-animated though, so it's a bit of a trade-off. It all LOOKS better but feels different. 8 is also very easy...except the ghey boarding sequences.

In 8, you don't have Beat like in 7 (except for a cameo), but Rush has some new powers, like turning into a motorcycle and raining down power ups. However, I seem to recall they came at the expense of all of Rush's old powers--so no Rush Coil, and Rush Jet is only available as a shooting section in Tengu Man's stage that, as previously stated, is about 1000x more fun than jet-boarding.

So 7 and 8 are good, 8's better IMO, but they lose a bit of the classic gameplay in the transition to 16 to 32 bits.

I can't pass the snowboarding section of Frost Man's level in Mega Man 8. It took me several times to beat the easy part, but the one that starts you off fast kicks my ass.

...either suck it up and beat it soundly or you'll never see the end of the game. :P I can beat that stage after a few run-throughs with ease, since it is the only hard part of the stage. However, the first Wily stage...starts with jet-boarding. =/

Oh, a couple more things:

The animated sequences in Mega Man 8 are...well, just fantastic. *I* People hate them, but Elmer-Fudd sounding Dr. Light and girly-Mega Man are nearly as hilarious as those classically-bad NES transrations.

Plus, in Mega Man 8 you can use the Mega Buster while the boss weapons are equipped, at long last. :)

I like how Light can't pronounce "Dr. Wily".

Also Mega Man gets all teary eyed over Duo, despite having known him for all of 5 minutes.

Megaman 7 & 8 are good because they are more modern and take in things from the X series, which is sooo much better than classic MM.

I beat all the games. You don't really unlock anything big.

Thats cause you got the PS2 verison if you had the Cube verison you can unlock the interview's which I hear are really good.

I like how Light can't pronounce "Dr. Wily".

Also Mega Man gets all teary eyed over Duo, despite having known him for all of 5 minutes.

Megaman 7 & 8 are good because they are more modern and take in things from the X series, which is sooo much better than classic MM.

That wascuwy "Dr. Wiwy!"

I'd totally disagree about Mega Man 7 and 8, though. How are they like the X series, except for upgrades? There weren't really any shops in the X games, that I recall, no air-dashing, no wall-clinging, the sprites in 7 are waaay too big?

Also, classic Mega Man generally > X games, IMO. Of course, I think almost the entire X series is mediocre at best except for X and X5. X is fantastic and the best game in the series as far as I'm concerned, and X5 brings so many new things to the table and it executes it so well, with a nice balance of difficulty and fun that I have to give it props.

X2 was "more of the same" and didn't really add much to the series beyond upgrades, althoug it was executed well. X3 I found irritating and not very fun. X4 is probably the easiest Mega Man game ever. X6 is absolutely horrid. I haven't played X7, though.

The Zero games are your bag if you like Mega Man-ish level design and gameplay capped off with the most annoying bosses around, like one that squeezes you to death with a gigantic vice. Yup, when I think "fun boss encounters," I think of one that relies on cheap level traps to kill you.