TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

A Side-By-Side Comparison

Guest MikeSC

This is a nice take on prisoner "abuse" --- since Ted Kennedy thinks we're as bad as Saddam.

Us:

panties.jpg

Iraqi with panties on his head

Saddam:

vid-handremoved.jpg

Surgeons REMOVING A MAN'S HAND

Us:

snarlingdog.jpg

Iraqi scared by snarling dog.

Saddam:

vid-beating2.jpg

Man beaten with a flail.

SLIGHT difference, no?

-=Mike

eeeek, not work safe. Oh well, I am a temp.

Did Ted Kennedy actually say "we are as bad as Saddam" if so, then shame on him.

Guest MikeSC
eeeek, not work safe. Oh well, I am a temp.

Did Ted Kennedy actually say "we are as bad as Saddam" if so, then shame on him.

Kennedy's quote was we reopened Saddam's torture chambers, just with a new boss.

-=Mike

eeeek, not work safe.  Oh well, I am a temp.

Kennedy's quote was we reopened Saddam's torture chambers, just with a new boss.

-=Mike

well that is certainly a mighty STUPID thing to say. What an idiot. :angry:

I just don't get why they surgically removed his hand

I thought hand-removing punishment in the Middle East was more along the lines of the other pic you just posted

Guest MikeSC
I just don't get why they surgically removed his hand

I thought hand-removing punishment in the Middle East was more along the lines of the other pic you just posted

Oh, they have all kinds of ways to do it.

You assume that the man was under anasthesia.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
*wheeze*

vid-armbroken.jpg

is that a track suit?

Might be. It's also an arm being broken by an axe.

-=Mike

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

well yeah I could get that bit by myself. It was the suit that threw me.

Guest Cerebus
We're not as bad as Saddam.

Well.. that's a relief.

Exactly. I like to think of the US on such a higher moral ground that any moral comparison between the two is meaningless. However, you can look at it tihs way:

The soldiers who treated the prisoners were complete fucktards that broke every regulation in the book and are being prosecuted with the whole world hounding us.

The scum who tortured on behalf of Saddam were doing the job they were told to do and the world gave a half hearted "Now now. You stop doing that."

If you don't see the difference you're not worth my time. It appears that a way too vocal part of the left (and a large part of our "allies" in Western Europe in the Arab world) is simply not worth my time and shouldn't be worth the time of this, or any other, administration.

Guest Olympic Slam
Exactly. I like to think of the US on such a higher moral ground that any moral comparison between the two is meaningless. However, you can look at it tihs way:

The soldiers who treated the prisoners were complete fucktards that broke every regulation in the book and are being prosecuted with the whole world hounding us.

The scum who tortured on behalf of Saddam were doing the job they were told to do and the world gave a half hearted "Now now. You stop doing that."

If you don't see the difference you're not worth my time. It appears that a way too vocal part of the left (and a large part of our "allies" in Western Europe in the Arab world) is simply not worth my time and shouldn't be worth the time of this, or any other, administration.

You're so right! I'm sick of the world's attitude of moral and cultural relatavism. The worst of the worst is when some idiot from a Western country like Canada or France screams out something along the lines of "yeah Saddam may have had weapons of mass destruction but the U.S has MORE weapons of mass destruction." Its like, don't you get we're ALL on the same side and that the U.S and all of the West stands for the same things? Or when some apologizer for Islam defends suicide bombing/throat cutting/beheading by saying the Jews/Americans are worse because they use bombs and tactical strikes that kill as well.

I can't say this enough (maybe I'll put it it my signature): One of the biggest issues of our time is cultural and moral relatavism.

The worst of the worst is when some idiot from a Western country like Canada or France screams out something along the lines of "yeah Saddam may have had weapons of mass destruction

I don't think almost anyone is screaming that anymore.

but the U.S has MORE weapons of mass destruction."

It's not the size of the arsenal that matters. What matters is how you use it.

Granted, I don't think Bush should have his way here either since he's insistant on those reduced-range nuclears. I think that will actually cause us more problems in the future and may bring us closer to nuclear war than when we were battling Russia.

In that sense, it is reasonable to be scared what the US will do with weapons of mass destruction.

Or when some apologizer for Islam defends suicide bombing/throat cutting/beheading by saying the Jews/Americans are worse because they use bombs and tactical strikes that kill as well.

Again, it depends on how you use it. I'll agree that using troops and tanks is a more honorable way of fighting a war than undercover suicide bombers. That same tank firing live ammunition at a child throwing rocks is about as low and deplorable as cutting off a hand, though.

Basically, I think our culture has our highs and lows, but what seperates us from the others is that we typically think we're doing what's best for everybody. Ending communism was best for everybody, including the people living in enemy territory. Winning WWII wasn't great for the people who died in the conflict, but it wound up benefitting the world and the countries involved in the long-run.

When we start thinking that we're flexing our military strength just to help ourselves and take an advantage, we typically aren't very comfortable about it. That, I think, sets us apart from others.

Guest INXS

You used the tamer examples of the prisoner abuse. Compare the pics of the murdered Iraqi prisoners, the raped woman and the guy being forced to give a blow job to another prisoner.

Yeah, Saddam was bad. He tortured people. It doesn't take away from what happened in that prison at the hands of the US.

Don't try and trivialize the abuse and torture or act like it wasn't a terrible thing.

Whichever mod fixed up this thread, I give my hearty thanks to. Jeez, Mike, put a warning or something in the thread topic before you post some pics like that.

We're not as bad as Saddam.

Well.. that's a relief.

The difference is that when it comes to various prisoner abuses, it's coming out in this country. Compared to the more totalitarian countries that don't publicize this.

We'll see what sort of punishments come down on people like that one woman and the rest in the picture. And to the people stupid enough to photograph that.