TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Red Sox-Yankees Series

Oh, and you guys all know the Cubs are deep in pitching, and for some reason we never get Clement any run support, so he probably hates being here.

Guest Anglesault
I have been calling for a trade for Matt Clement for a long time now. That rotation would be killer.

And just make it all the more heartbreaking when something inevitably happens at the end.

And if Nomar goes to the Cubs, guess who drives in the winning run in game 7 of the WS?

Against whom?

Har har. Take a wild guess.

I was thisclose to renaming you SoxSault for the week and putting this pic in your sig, BTW. My mature side won out, unfortunately.

If they face off again in the ALCS, on the other hand......

Why don't you just place a bet with him on this series, loser changes name and signature to reflect fandom for the team he's detested his entire life?

Guest Anglesault
Har har. Take a wild guess.

First of all, last year should show you, Cubs/Red Sox cannot happen. It just cannot.

Secondly, It wouldn't be Nomar to end it all for them anyway. It has to be a Killer B. Dusty "Mildy Insane" Baker would try to imitate Zimmer and actually injure Pedro in the middle of Game Seven, sending it all downhill.

And don't you live in North Carolina or somewhere like that? how'd you get into this rivalry? I like hearing stories of how people outside of this area view the rivalry.

South Carolina.

Quite honestly, it's just the biggest rivalry in professional sports. I was first drawn into it in the '99 playoffs, when I was getting back into baseball again and heard all the commentators talk about the rich history of the rivalry and started watching pieces on ESPN Classic over the years. I was geeked for this year's ALCS, and promptly saw one of the best, if not the best series I've ever seen, with LOADS of legitimate aggression on both sides, a whole country tuning in, a thrilling extra innings Game 7 walk-off homer finish, all that. I favor the Red Sox over the Yankees simply because I want to see the poor guys finally beat the Yankees and win a World Series. Same reason I rooted for the Cubs. Brothers gotta finally win sometimes.

'course, as soon as football season starts up, I'm all about Packers/Bears, but that rivalry is always one-sided one way or another, unlike the recent equality of Yankees/Red Sox.

I have been calling for a trade for Matt Clement for a long time now. That rotation would be killer.

And just make it all the more heartbreaking when something inevitably happens at the end.

And if Nomar goes to the Cubs, guess who drives in the winning run in game 7 of the WS?

Against whom?

Derek Jeter drives in the winning run he he

anyways, this current 3 game set could be fun. Ill only get to see weds game on espn (unless they black it out) damn you southern cali tv (i m dying to order the mlb extra innings package, but I dont want to pay for a bunch of games ill never watch, they should just let you pick one team or have a ppv type of thing) Please Yes network become avaiable throughout the country on digital cable!!!! (it might as well the yanks have a huge following throughout the country-well besides the anti-fans)

I'm really interested to see what Halsey does against the sox (I think he had potential , but hopefully he doesnt get killed here)

red sox vs yankees is the greatest event in sports and though our rivaslry is heated , I think that deep down we have mutual respect, because of the passion of us fans in ny and new england :cheers:

But since it's tradition....

BOSTON SUCKS!!!!!!!!! :bonk:

It did, you can sleep easy tonight.

Does it make me less of a fan that I'm not watching the game in favor of Jeopardy, and that I'll probably just flip to it between commercials during The Next Action Star and Last Comic Standing?

I think I'm violating some kind of divine law here.

Guest Anglesault

The Red Sox's defense offends me as a baseball fan. If there is some reason or justification for this, please let me know.

Guest Anglesault

I wanna cry.

GIAMBI PEEKS INTO FUTURE

By JEANE MacINTOSH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email  Archives

Print  Reprint

June 29, 2004 --

Apparently eager to know if there is any more bad news in his future, slumping Yankee slugger Jason Giambi — already plagued by a bum ankle and a case of dehydration — had his cards read by a Soho sidewalk psychic yesterday afternoon.

Giambi, his wife Kristian and Yankee reliever Tanyon Sturtze, each sat through a 10-minute tarot card reading with spiritualist L.J. Tyler on Prince Street — and Giambi finally got some good news.

"He's gonna be batting really well once his leg heals," said Tyler of Giambi, who was out and about enjoying the summer weather on the team's off day. "It's hard to learn a lot about someone in just a few minutes, but I picked up that he has a great relationship with George Steinbrenner. He's got a great future with the Yankees."

That ought to come as a relief to Giambi, who was sidelined for Sunday's Subway Series day-night doubleheader against the Mets after doctors determined that a viral infection had brought on a bad case of vomiting and diarrhea that left him dehydrated.

Yesterday wasn't the first time the former American League MVP consulted the netherworld. Back when he was with the Athletics, he had nearly daily talks with celebrity spiritualist Azra Shafi-Scagliarini, whose clients include Britney Spears and Sarah Ferguson.

And it's possible Giambi's looking to make Tyler his new top tarot-ist — he left Tyler's sidewalk table with her phone number.

"He was a doll, a really nice man," the psychic said. "And he paid me nicely, too."

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I await Voodoo High Priestess Giambi.

But yeah, I think the Yankees are gonna continue the mauling for the rest of this series. Their bats are alive and none of the Sox pitchers are good enough to keep up with them in full outside of Pedro when he's on.

I'm probably going to incur the Wrath of Al here, but I have to question why the Sox are continuing to refuse to play small ball when it is clear that they don't have the juggernaut offense they did last year. I don't have the exact number, but they have left a TON of men on base this year, and you can't tell me that bunting and stealing wouldn't drive even 10-15% of those runs in? The Marlins lead the league in SB and sacrificed a lot in 2003. How did they fare, again? Fuck, even Mr. Moneyball Billy Beane's team won a playoff game on a damn suicide squeeze.

It isn't just the offense, of course. The pitching (outside of Schilling, Foulke and, at times, Pedro) SUCKS, the defense SUCKS (58 unearned runs, is it?), and the Terry Francona=Pete Carroll comparisons have started to spring up, since Terry doesn't seem to want to publicly admit the team isn't playing well.

Oh, and "COWBOY UP" KEVIN MILLAR THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!!!

Are the Red Sox built to do any of that? Looking at the lineup there are a lot of walks and strikeouts, so you can't hit and run. With Ortiz, Manny, Nomar, Nixon and Varitek I wouldn't want to take the bat out of their hands with bunting. With Reese having a sub-.300 OBP he can't justify a regular lineup spot. So that just leaves Damon to do anything along the small ball lines. They just look like they are built to get on base and knock the hell out of the ball. They don't have the speed like the Marlins did throughout the lineup last year.

Totally agree with pinjockey on this.

The Sox are built around power. Pokey makes the lineup for the only reason that everyone has to bat. I'd love to just have his defense, but it's not allowed, he has to hit. He CAN hit, I've seen him do it, he's just not a guy that does. Not to mention, he's still feeling the effects of that thumb injury.

The Marlins were a completely different animal than the Red Sox. They had TWO excellent leadoff hitters instead of one. Pierre has excellent speed and can drag a bunt or slap a single and get on. From there, the pitcher has to deal with the speedy guy at first who is capable of running on any pitch AND a hitter just like him at the plate who can bunt, slap a single to the opposite field, or power an extra base hit into the gap or the corner. After those guys came guys like Lowell, Cabrera, Conine, Lee, and Encarnacion who were all long ball threats. The only weak parts of the lineup for the Marlins last year was Alex Gonzalez and the pitchers spot.

The Red Sox can't play that same game. Damon isn't the same kind of leadoff man that Pierre is. He has speed, but is unable to slap hits just to get on base. He's not as fast as Pierre, and the Red Sox aren't much of a running team (and never really have been, IIRC). After Damon, Bellhorn is an OBP guy with power. He's not a guy that you want to waste on bunting, as he's excellent at drawing a walk. Then comes the thunder with Papi, Manny, Nomar, Tek, Trot, etc. Do you want at-bats taken out of their hands because of wanting to play Marlins-type small ball?

I'm probably going to incur the Wrath of Al here

Probably, but I'll listen to your argument.

but I have to question why the Sox are continuing to refuse to play small ball when it is clear that they don't have the juggernaut offense they did last year.

They still score 5.43 runs per game. They lead the league in OBP. A juggernaut offense is not the reason not play small ball. Small ball is simply not an effective strategy even for the most punchless of teams.

I don't have the exact number, but they have left a TON of men on base this year, and you can't tell me that bunting and stealing wouldn't drive even 10-15% of those runs in?

Doubtful. They'd be giving up outs, and thus opportunities to drive those runners in.

The Marlins lead the league in SB and sacrificed a lot in 2003. How did they fare, again?

8th in the league in runs scored.

Fuck, even Mr. Moneyball Billy Beane's team won a playoff game on a damn suicide squeeze.

Someday, someone is going to have to explain to me how you suicide squeeze with two outs. It wasn't a sacrifice. He was bunting for a hit.

It isn't just the offense, of course. The pitching (outside of Schilling, Foulke and, at times, Pedro) SUCKS, the defense SUCKS (58 unearned runs, is it?), and the Terry Francona=Pete Carroll comparisons have started to spring up, since Terry doesn't seem to want to publicly admit the team isn't playing well.

They're fifth in runs allowed, and the third and fourth teams have only allowed three runs less.

The Sox W/L percentage is third best in the league right now, behind New York and Texas. Their pythagorean W/L pct. is second best behind Chicago. There are no problems with the Sox right now. They aren't getting the breaks, but that stuff levels out over time. Giving up outs is not going to help.

Guest Anglesault
There are no problems with the Sox right now. help.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, come on, at the very, VERY least you have to mention their disgusting fielding. I (A Yankee fan) was actually embarassed for them at the end of the night.