TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Organ donors caught speeding should get a break..

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- -- An edgy new advertising campaign to promote organ donation hints that police officers should cut speeders who are organ donors some slack.

"Hey policeman," a Cleveland billboard calls out, an arrow pointing to a donor insignia on a young man's license, "give this guy a break."

The advertisements by LifeBanc, the Cleveland-based organ procurement agency for 20 counties in northeast Ohio, are meant to attract attention, a spokeswoman said.

"We wanted to get people thinking," said the agency's Monica Heath, noting that 1,300 people in northeast Ohio are waiting for organs.

Councilman Matthew Zone wasn't laughing. "I think it sends the wrong message to the average Joe citizen," said Zone.

"Just because you participate in a unique program as precious as donating an organ doesn't mean [you] should be given preferential treatment," he said.

Lt. Wayne Drummond, a Cleveland police spokesman, said he had no problem with the billboard, but people shouldn't get the wrong idea.

While patrol officers have discretion in ticket writing, "in my experience, it's not typical to give someone a break because they're an organ donor," he said.

I got more of a "let the speeders speed so they'll kill themselves in an accident and we'll have fresh organs" message out of it instead of "This person is special because they're an organ donor". Maybe that wasn't the intended message, I don't know..

Guest Fook
I got more of a "let the speeders speed so they'll kill themselves in an accident and we'll have fresh organs" message out of it instead of "This person is special because they're an organ donor".

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe we're too cynical.

Well, take this for what you will, but my sister's kidney came from a motorcyclist. Ever since then, we've used the doctor's phrase - future donor - for bikers.

Guest Hero to all Children

The problem is that if you're speeding with a car (especially and ever so popular SUV) and you wrap yourself around a tree .. well. Either there won't be much left of you to donate that hasn't been reduce to bloody goo or all the goodies will have gone bad by the time they cut you out of that twisted metal cage.

Really, speeding organ donours should be shot dead, bang in the back of the neck and then call the paramedics. Now that's social and caring.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Society marches on, as the organ-donor sticker replaces the blowjob as the way to get out of a ticket.

I'm sure a "Fry Mumia" bumper sticker would be effective, too.

That gives me an idea...

That'd sell, but I doubt it be percieved as witty in the wrong neighborhood.

I've signed up for the organ donor, so I'd love a way to get out of a ticket. It's more fair than getting off for being a chick.

Society marches on, as the organ-donor sticker replaces the blowjob as the way to get out of a ticket.

I'm sure a "Fry Mumia" bumper sticker would be effective, too.

That gives me an idea...

That'd sell, but I doubt it be percieved as witty in the wrong neighborhood.

I don't go into those neighborhoods anyway, being the yuppie that I is...

Thats just like telling people "Go ahead and crash, you know you wanna."

*marks for Agent's bridgekeeper sig*

I've always thought that, unless it's a religious thing, everyone with a healthy kidney, heart, corneas, etc. should be considered for donation upon death. This may sound like the oldest argument in the book, but since you can't use your (insert organ here) anymore, shouldn't it go to someone who needs it to survive? That said, I can't fathom why any police officer in his right mind would or should go easy on donors who speed.

Officer: Sir, you were going 60 in a 35. I'm going to have to write you a ticket.

Driver: But Officer, look at my liscense. I'm an organ donor! Can't you cut me some slack?

Officer: Buddy, the only time that would matter to me is if you had just wrapped this car around a tree and I was calling the paramedics.