TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyJaymzV1

The Next Film Legends

Like I said earlier, Tom Cruise. And also Tom Hanks. Both have transcended movies to become pop culture icons. Becoming a film legend does not solely rely on just acting skills. It also relies on whether or not you, yourself, become a film icon. The reason Marlon Brando was a screen legend was because he was bigger than the movies that he was in. The same goes for Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. Their movies are legendary and so are they as a result. There were many fine actors in the 50's, 60's, and 70's that were just as good as Brando, Nicholson, or Dean, but just never had the movies to back them up and thus, are forgotten.

Male - Morgan Freeman. Oustanding actor. By my count, he should have won the Oscar for Best Male Performance at least twice by now.

Female - Cate Blanchett. She's probably hurt somewhat by taking on roles in films that are less than winners, but I don't think I've ever seen her give a bad performance.

Guest Choken One

I always felt bad for Dustin Hoffman.

Always a great actor but always seemed to be third guy all the time in the De Niro-Pacino-Hoffman cycle....I mean, he dress in Drag and yet still retained his creditbility.

What about Gene Hackman? One of the BEST. Deserves a mention, always puts on a great performence in just about any type of role he plays.

For those who said, Tom Cruise ISN'T a legend is a idiot.

Nearly every movie he makes is BANK...In his 20 years as a mainstream name, only one movie didn't become a moderate to monster hit and that was the artsy "Eyes Wide Shut". Great Actor? Maybe not but he delivers everytime and gives the audience statisfaction, which makes him a legend.

Brad Pitt? Obviously, he is there but a great knockout punch "Oscar" movie would seal it. Like Depp, he can play nearly any role, on a low budget level or a hollywood star level and deliever equally. He works best in the cultish style movies like "Fight Club" but he certaintly can do a hollywood oscar movie. Sadly, his great talent of acting gets stained because the general perception is that he is a great looking hunk married to a beautiful hollywood starlet.

Who was it that Said Norton isn't on this list? He has yet to turn in a bad performence, two iconic classics already under his belt and he's only been around for 8 years.

Mel Gibson. How has his name gone unmentioned?

With the exception of Tom Hanks, NO ONE is bank like he is. Not the greatest actor but has turned in some really good movies from Mad Max to Leathal Weapon Series to Braveheart to Ransom. Will likely be most known for his directorial of "The Passion of the Christ" which in all likilhood will be among the all time highest grossing movie ever and will likely be the great dvd seller of all time.

Matt Damon. He really hasn't had a bad performence yet in his career and if he stays on the right track (i.e not doing what his buddy Ben does by taking every and any movie he can) he is in good shape to join the legend list, GWH, Rounders, Bourne Identity, Talented Mr. Ripley, Oceans 11, Saving private Ryan, Dogma...all great.

Guest Choken One

Carey is another good inclusion.

With the exception of Ace Ventura 2, all his comedies are big hits and his "serious" movies are always spot on...

Truman, Man on the Moon, Majestic and Eternal Sunshine were amazing performence.

He doesn't need the money, he should just keep doing the good shit...who cares if the idiot american audiences go to bruce almighty instead of Eternal.

Carey has been screwed TWICE by the academy, if he doesn't get nominated at the very least for Eternal, the academey should cease to exist.

bank does not equal legend. legendary status requires the respect and admiration of your peers. schwarzenegger was bank, and ten years from now no one in their right mind is going to march into julliard and say, "i want to be a great actor like schwarzenegger was." they won't say that with harrison ford. they won't say that with tom cruise. they won't say that with mel gibson.

for my money julianne moore is the best actor working today, male or female, but she's vehemently hated by too many people to be another brando.

macgregor's got a good chance, but he's not very high-profile. he might become a big cult "actor's actor" like karl malden or something.

norton is good, but the only time he really knocked me on my ass was in 'american history x'. i think at times, he tries too hard to not try too hard, if that makes any sense.

frances mcdormand is fantastic, but doesn't have a huge noticeable body of work. very precise and very true.

i think tim roth has a great chance, as he's got a fuckton of charisma & lots of intensity in his eyes, but i haven't seen him do anything in years.

liam neeson can be great, but he hasn't shown it very much. there's 'schindler's list', 'husbands and wives', & maybe 'suspect', but that's it.

i'm just rambling off the top of my head now, so i'll stop.

I think Jude Law is on the rise too. I guess his next 2 or 3 leads will provide better insight, but his characters have been good in supporting roles.

Guest Choken One

Law hasn't made a movie that makes people remember his name.

He needs a "American History X" or a "Fight Club" to get in there...

Ask anyone off the street...they won't know of a Jude Law film.

A part of being a legend is having performences that are widely loved.

He hasn't had ONE yet.

Robert De Niro & Al Pacino ... We all now the reasons

And Leo Di Caprio will probably be the next "legend" ... is a great actor + he is linked with Scorcese ( Gangs of New-York + his next two movies ) that help

Other honorable mentions:

Emma Thompson

Johnny Depp

Joaquin Phoenix

Mel Gibson is great, and I think he fits into the Legend format... the only pitfall I can see for him is if he lets his religious zealotry overtake him. The Passion, for all of it's success, turned a lot of people off on the whole Mel Gibson tip. If he stays away from the whole Charlton Heston/NRA type thing I think he could end up a legend.

Tom Hanks is a legend, for sure, but not in the same vein as Pacino, Brando, DeNiro. Hanks is regarded more as a cute actor than the previously mentioned legends. Despite his roles in the violent Saving Private Ryan and the emotionally wrenching Philadelphia, theres just something about Tom Hanks that comes off as "cute." Thats not to say that Hanks isn't great, I like him a lot more than Brando and hes certainly as good, if not better, an actor as Pacino and DeNiro.

Law hasn't made a movie that makes people remember his name.

He needs a "American History X" or a "Fight Club" to get in there...

Ask anyone off the street...they won't know of a Jude Law film.

A part of being a legend is having performences that are widely loved.

He hasn't had ONE yet.

True, but as I said, "on the rise".

He has been fortunate working with great casts, but I think many times he has outshined some of the others film's stars.

Will that translate to carrying a film instead of the supporting roles? Maybe/maybe not.

Tim Roth

Charlize Theron (If she doesn't go the Halle Berry route)

Steve Buscemi

Val Kilmer

John Malkovich

Tadanobu Asano

David Carradene (sp?)

I was just thinking what about Christian Bale? Give him another 4-5 years and he could be a good name as well. His performance in American Psycho shows that he can bring the acting, now it's just a matter of getting the roles and I think Batman Begins will help a bit.

I dunno, doing a Batman movie didn't help Keaton, Kilmer or Clooney. Sure, the previous ones weren't any good, but it can still get you typecast