TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Have to give some credit to the Phils management. They may have screwed up big time in dealing with the original voting, but they went out of their way to get everyone behind Abreu.

Now if they could just get a pitcher.

Guest Anglesault
Hideki Matsui makes the AL All Star team showing that Japan has no bussiness voting in this. He's a terrible fielder and his numbers aren't even close to Konerko's or Thomas'.

Konerko and Thomas split the vote.

Boy, it's tough to do much when you're up against a tough staff, you're missing your top RBI guy, Lee and Alou haven't done shit in the last 11 games, your two guys at the top of the order can't get on and Sammy Sosa is allergic to making contact with the ball.

Guest FrigidSoul

Red Sox have scored 22 runs off of Oakland in 16 innings this series(keep in mind they're playing at Fenway so there's been no need for them to hit in the 9th)

Guest Anglesault

Hideki Matsui makes the AL All Star team showing that Japan has no bussiness voting in this. He's a terrible fielder and his numbers aren't even close to Konerko's or Thomas'.

Also, "not even close" isn't exactly a fair statement, especially to Thomas.

In the stats that the average fan tends to look at (hits, home runs, rbis, BA) they're comprable.

Alot of fans don't know or understand (or care) what an OPS is.

Also, "not even close" isn't exactly a fair statement, especially to Thomas.

In the stats that the average fan tends to look at (hits, home runs, rbis, BA) they're comprable.

Its not our fault that the average fan is ignorant. If this game counts, as MLB drills into us, than there is a responsibilty to choose the very best players. Choosing inferior players with something as important as Home Field Advantage on the line is a direct slap in the face to the chances of the American League Pennant winner. Just think, Hideki Matsui fails to drive in the winning run in a situation where Frank Thomas would have succeeded, and the Yankees are forced to play game seven on the road, where they lose. And as you're throwing stuff around, breaking objects in disgust, remember it was all because the common fan doesn't give a damn about OPS.

Josh Phelps hit the 11th home run into the 5th deck at SkyDome with a monster grand slam against Seattle.

It was better when there was actually people up there to catch those balls, though.

3 straight shutout losses for the Royals.

1 run in 36 innings for the Royals

1-11 since the trade

Meanwhile..

Buck/DeJesus: 12 hits, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 3 walks/17 strikeouts

Beltran the Astro: 11 hits, 4 HR, 7 RBI, 6 walks/5 strikeouts

I wouldn't mind if they canned Pena

Just another reason for fan voting to be abolished.

OPS isn't even that hard to figure out. It's On Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage, how fucking hard is that?

Now if you want to get into Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) or Defensive Independent Pitching Stats (DIPS) then you actually have complicated formulas.

Guest Anglesault
Just think, Hideki Matsui fails to drive in the winning run in a situation where Frank Thomas would have succeeded,

Matsui isn't exactly a scrub. I doubt there's be a time where Matsui makes out and you can jump up and down screaming that you know for sure that Frank Thomas wouldn't make the exact same out.

Well, the Cubs have only scored four runs in the last 36 innings and they're supposed to be great offensively. This series with the Brewers made me absolutely sick. If I may go into AS mode for a moment here, the Cubs were going to have a tough time going into St. Louis as it was, but now, it looks like they'll go in six games out and I wouldn't be shocked to see them seven out by time that series is over. Hopefully Alou, Lee and Sosa can get their heads out of their asses, while Ramirez returns. Christ what a horrible series.

Ronnie WooWoo is the fucking man! Too bad we had to run into Cy Davis and Sandy Sheets in the same series.

Agreed. That one factor alone kept me from flipping out that last inning. I just couldn't stop laughing, as his siren-like "Go Cubs" chant for the last full inning was hysterical, especially with the reaction of the Brewers' commentators.

Guest Real F'n Show

The Twins outscored the Royals 25-0 in their 3 game series. Ouch. I'm kinda sad this wasn't a four game series.

PLUS: The White Sox got pounded. A good night for baseball. What's that? The Yankees lost a series at home to the Tigers? This is like Christmas or something...

Just another reason for fan voting to be abolished.

OPS isn't even that hard to figure out. It's On Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage, how fucking hard is that?

Now if you want to get into Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) or Defensive Independent Pitching Stats (DIPS) then you actually have complicated formulas.

OPS isn't an exact science, and you can't use it as a sole stat without considering the components. In any case, I think the fans generally do a good job. I don't believe in limiting stats to this season alone, and I'd rather see established stars in the All-Star game. Besides, look at the choices of the players and coaches. They picked Moises Alou over Bobby Abreu and Adam Dunn. And forget about giving it to the writers. They didn't put Ryne Sandberg in the Hall.

So who SHOULD vote?

Just think, Hideki Matsui fails to drive in the winning run in a situation where Frank Thomas would have succeeded,

Matsui isn't exactly a scrub. I doubt there's be a time where Matsui makes out and you can jump up and down screaming that you know for sure that Frank Thomas wouldn't make the exact same out.

Well, one's a righty, and one's a lefty, so there is that whole platoon advantage to think about.

Guest Anglesault
Well, the Cubs have only scored four runs in the last 36 innings and they're supposed to be great offensively. This series with the Brewers made me absolutely sick. If I may go into AS mode for a moment here, the Cubs were going to have a tough time going into St. Louis as it was, but now, it looks like they'll go in six games out and I wouldn't be shocked to see them seven out by time that series is over. Hopefully Alou, Lee and Sosa can get their heads out of their asses, while Ramirez returns. Christ what a horrible series.

Christ. Your team is coming off a year where they made the NLCS and this year is playing about eight games over .500 and is a wild card team and you're STILL not happy?

What a whiner.

Well, the Cubs have only scored four runs in the last 36 innings and they're supposed to be great offensively.  This series with the Brewers made me absolutely sick.  If I may go into AS mode for a moment here, the Cubs were going to have a tough time going into St. Louis as it was, but now, it looks like they'll go in six games out and I wouldn't be shocked to see them seven out by time that series is over.  Hopefully Alou, Lee and Sosa can get their heads out of their asses, while Ramirez returns.  Christ what a horrible series.

Christ. Your team is coming off a year where they made the NLCS and this year is playing about eight games over .500 and is a wild card team and you're STILL not happy?

What a whiner.

This actually made me laugh. Hopefully this was sarcasm on AS' part so I can credit him with being witty for once.

Guest FrigidSoul

One of the Red Sox more famous fan sites is reporting the Red Sox are asking Arizona to see if RJ is willing to go to Boston in a deal. I highly doubt this is happening, but they're saying it would cost Youkilis plus. I'd prefer to see the Red Sox not trade a good minimum salary player even if they did get The Big Unit.

Still, its probably bullshit. You can catch it at www.bostondirtdogs.com though.

Guest stoor

I care Invader, but I didn't get to see the game because of work. Plus, I think I'm the only Brewer fan on the board here....

Actually, if you scrolled up, you would catch severl posts by Bruiser Chong, bemoaning the Cubs' lack of success against the Brewers. So obviously, people ARE paying attention to the games.

Guest stoor

I meant I was the only one on the Brewers' side. I guess I wasn't thinking before I typed that.