TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Alex Wright....

Back in 1994 and 1995, WCW seemed like they wanted to groom this guy for main events in the future.

He was a decent wrestler, and he was pretty over. He looked like he had potennital. But what made them stop pushing this guy?

I do believe Hogan's influence had a lot to do with it, as Flair loved the kid. Flair was a vocal supported of Wright and wanted to help elevate him. There was also talk of Wright being turned into a cocky heel and joining the Horsemen, which led to the "Plan B" of him being a member of the Rogue Horsemen, which was to be Pillman's group when he officially split. I have the Observer that mentions this somewhere upstairs, and off the top of my head I believe it was going to be Pillman, Benoit (whom he'd get to turn on Flair/Arn) Wright and either Regal or Malenko as the fourth.

Also can't forget the company wanting to push him hard with the Berlyn gimmick, but Duggan and Bagwell didn't want to job out to him and put up a stink.

I do believe Hogan's influence had a lot to do with it, as Flair loved the kid. Flair was a vocal supported of Wright and wanted to help elevate him. There was also talk of Wright being turned into a cocky heel and joining the Horsemen, which led to the "Plan B" of him being a member of the Rogue Horsemen, which was to be Pillman's group when he officially split. I have the Observer that mentions this somewhere upstairs, and off the top of my head I believe it was going to be Pillman, Benoit (whom he'd get to turn on Flair/Arn) Wright and either Regal or Malenko as the fourth.

Also can't forget the company wanting to push him hard with the Berlyn gimmick, but Duggan and Bagwell didn't want to job out to him and put up a stink.

Damn, thanks for the info.

He seemed to be a decent wrestler, and he was pretty over. The Berlyn gimmick wasn't that bad, and it could of worked, but too many big egos in the WCW. Which is sad and pathetic.

Wright was somewhat over but the whole dancing thing got stale and even obnoxious after a while. I remember at the January 95 Clash, they had a music video put together on Wright which consisted of him dancing, beating jobbers, and more dancing. They were pushing him hard but after a while he was getting the same reaction as Rocky when he first came in as a super babyface. A heel turn at that point would have been smart.

Flair and Arn Anderson put the kid over huge. Arn ended Wright's undefeated streak at Slamboree in a TV title defense but it was close and a MUCH better match than Arn / Renegade a month later. A great finish too as Arn goes to throw a punch, Wright ducks and lowers his head, DDT, 1-2-3. It was a perfect way to end the match since they were pushing it as the seasoned vet against the rising star. Arn just outsmarted him. Rookie mistake.

Shortly after that Flair had at least two TV matches against Wright in which Alex came VERY close to pulling out an upset. Flair bumped like crazy for him IIRC. Then after the match, Flair argued with Arn for not helping him out which laid the foundation for their feud in the fall.

Anyone remember the Wright/Roma match at some WCW PPV? Paul Roma should never wrestle another match after that match. That was the worse politics I've ever seen.

Poor Wright, no one ever gave him respect.

Alex Wright was the Rodney Dangerfield of wreslting. Every attempt at a push failed because of some egomaniac. Does anyone remember when Boogie Knights brought out Disqo Duck some time during the waning days of WCW? That should have gotten over.

I should probably put this in the Old School Questions thread but it pertains to Alex Wright so I'll put in here. Who was that Japaneese wrestler that accompanied Boogie Knights to the ring for a brief time during their first run together in 98?

Who was that Japaneese wrestler that accompanied Boogie Knights to the ring for a brief time during their first run together in 98?

Tokyo Magnum. Poor guy was so low on the WCW totem pole he jobbed to Vincent of all people.

I miss the Boogie Knights. They were easily some of my favourites during the time.

Guest Staravenger
Anyone remember the Wright/Roma match at some WCW PPV? Paul Roma should never wrestle another match after that match. That was the worse politics I've ever seen.

Poor Wright, no one ever gave him respect.

I can't understand how Roma thought it was smart to make Wright look like shit. Roma was nothing but a JTTS, and if LUCKY, maybe pinned someone now and then. I guess the Horsemen push inflated his ego...stupid WCW.

Anyway, that match was on Superbrawl V from 1995. One of the only notable matches other than a shit-load of matches that got way too much time.

Guest Coffey

Let's not forget that when WCW tried to recreate a new character for Alex Wright (in Berlyn) he was OVERSHADOWED by his BODYGUARD and his bodyguard (The Wall) got HIS push instead.

Guest Staravenger

Hmmm...I'm wondering if The Wall ever wrestled Hogan. I'm gonna guess probably not since The Wall didn't debut until the fall of 99 if my memory is correct, but alas, I gave up on WCW at the end of 1999 so I'm guessing.

Let's not forget that when WCW tried to recreate a new character for Alex Wright (in Berlyn) he was OVERSHADOWED by his BODYGUARD and his bodyguard (The Wall) got HIS push instead.

I wouldn't say overshadowed. I would say "guys don't wanna bump for Alex since he's a cruiser so we'll give the HOSS~! the push" was more like it. It was the Jim Ross mentality at that point, although WCW was pretty low on the monster heels save for Steiner (who was playing face/tweener during much of the Wall push) and Nash (ditto).

Hmmm...I'm wondering if The Wall ever wrestled Hogan. I'm gonna guess probably not since The Wall didn't debut until the fall of 99 if my memory is correct, but alas, I gave up on WCW at the end of 1999 so I'm guessing.

Never fear, Hogan wouldn't pass up the chance to add to his beating big men award. He faced The Wall during the 2000 Nitro spring break, the last show before Russo & Bischoff returned on April 10th.

The build up was classic WCW. Hogan did a promo in-ring and The Wall appeared on top a building signaling for the choke slam. How Hogan won I don't remember. Could've been via DQ.

Back in 1994 and 1995, WCW seemed like they wanted to groom this guy for main events in the future.

He was a decent wrestler, and he was pretty over. He looked like he had potennital. But what made them stop pushing this guy?

The fact that it was WCW.

Guest wildpegasus

I liked watching Alex Wright wrestle. He was a good wrestler and I liked his matches against Benoit amd others. When he was wrestling Benoit or Malenko for instance I was impressed with how he kept up with them as he never seemed lost for such a young kid.

Wright did get some kind of head injury at one point and was out for awhile so that could have screwed him up.

Guest Staravenger

Wasn't he linked to a feud that marked the debut of GOLDBERG? If so, we know what feud to blame for introducing the worst wrestler ever not named Jorge Gonzales

Never fear, Hogan wouldn't pass up the chance to add to his beating big men award. He faced The Wall during the 2000 Nitro spring break, the last show before Russo & Bischoff returned on April 10th.

The build up was classic WCW. Hogan did a promo in-ring and The Wall appeared on top a building signaling for the choke slam.

This lead to one of the all-time greatest wrestling quotes (IMO):

(after seeing the Wall on top of the hotel)

Hogan: "....THAT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!"

Guest Staravenger

Tonight, playing the role of Captain Obvious is Mrs. Hulk Hogan.

Didn't Alex Wright become somewhat over after dropping the Berlyn gimmick? I remember one episode of Nitro where Russo(I think) told Kevin Nash that he wasn't getting a title shot, but Alex Wright was getting it, and the crowd gave Wright a pretty decent pop.

Wasn't he linked to a feud that marked the debut of GOLDBERG? If so, we know what feud to blame for introducing the worst wrestler ever not named Jorge Gonzales

That was the period in late '97 when Wright was managed by Debra and helping her battle ex-hubby Steve McMichael. For a brief time she aided Jeff Jarrett, Wright, Eddie Guerrero, and Bill Goldberg, which made for a decent stable of wrestlers, IMO.

What a great thread! lol,

Alex Wright, ala my sig, is one of my favourites ever. I met this guy back in 1995, and he was awesome. Much more polite and awesome then most wrestlers. Anyway, Flair loved Wright. He thought Wright was awesome, and he wanted to push him. As did Arn. It's just the fact that Wright was Super Over with the crowd, and Hogan new that this kid maybe a threat in a few years. I mean Wright was like The Rock of WCW, he was so over. Just Rock was never screwed.

Also with all those people not laying down for Wright.. Any chance they were FRIENDS OF HOGANS? I think it is a high possibility seeing that Roma and Hogan were in WWF together, then in WCW together. Duggan was also in WWF with Hogan and WCW with Wright. I really think, Hogan did everything he could to make Wright look bad, and to get the fans to turn on him completely, making him look bad.

Wright had some great matches in his days with Dragon, Jericho, Pillman, Benoit, Guerrero, Flair, Anderson, Vader even. It was all politics. Thats why none of the cruiserweights ever seemed to be pushed.

Wrights Berlyn gimmick was solid for the first few apperances, again until Hacksaw decided not to lay down for him and do the job. He made Wright look horrible, and I really wish Wright would of just clocked him one.

The return in late 2000 with Disqo was good. Wright got a very good pop when he came out and danced. I Think what really hurt that was the fact that wCw never knew what to do with them. The made them faces one weeks, heels the next... Which was retarded because even when they were heels they were getting face pops. I remember when they beat the Thrillers and the crowd all popped huge, only for Sanders to restart the match after the rest of the Thrillers killed them.

Wright had very good wrestling talent... He was no Benoit, but he could definately hold his own. He was also very good on the mic. As a face, he was decent on the mic, and as a heel he was golden. Doing bits in german, and then telling the crowd how great he looked.. and it was just so natural to him. I really don't know how good he could of been. World Champion? Possibly, but if not he would of been a solid US contender, and a very good supporter to WCW. Its things like this crap, why Wright went under...

Also.. Anyone heard any rumours of a Return? He said in a interview that he hopes to come back to wrestling, and he did for a match some near the end of last year, start of this year. But does anyone know if he's coming back to one of the big companys? I would mark out huge..

That was the period in late '97 when Wright was managed by Debra and helping her battle ex-hubby Steve McMichael. For a brief time she aided Jeff Jarrett, Wright, Eddie Guerrero, and Bill Goldberg, which made for a decent stable of wrestlers, IMO.

Yeah wasn't that the plan. That Debra was going to create a stable with Eddie, Wright, Jarrett, and Goldberg but, for whatever reason it never got off the ground. I guess part of the reason was when WCW decided to really push Goldberg and make him undefeated.

Guest Staravenger

How come everytime a new wrestler doesn't reach main events, it's HOGANS fault? Maybe his character got extremely stale real fast (the crowd was cheering ROMA mocking him at SB V), and he didn't look like a main eventer with the scarecrow body of his.

His heel turn was fine, but then he was a heel during the nWo days, and WCW guys were the faces mainly. I heard he was out for a while with an injury, but I'm not 100% sure. Then the Berlyn gimmick came, and stories say it was because of the columbine incident that kinda stopped the gimmick dead, as well as Buff Bagwell refusing to job and Jim Duggan refusing to sell for him.

Ric Flair has stated before about the backstage politics involving Hulk Hogan. He stated numerous times, that Wright was one of the best upcomers wCw had from 1994-1997, before his injury. Why do you think it was WRIGHT who was named the Number One Contender for that sort period of time? Because Flair loves the guy. Hogan held everyone down that every had a chance, in wCw and WWF. He wasn't even over as much as he used to be and he was still holding everyone down. And then you say why was it Hogan's fault? Dude.. Hogan had control over pretty much everything.. He wanted Wright held down and KABAM! he was held down. As for Roma mocking him.. Wrestlers also get pops for doing other wrestlers trademarks. Roma was an ass, and deserved to be shot on the spot. Wright was extremley over... the only match I can think of that he got booed, during his first push as a face, was against Brian Pillman, and it was in Pillman's hometown, who was also a babyface.

Guest Staravenger

Hogan wasn't that over? Last time I watched some WCW 1996-1997 he was the most hated person alive...in wrestling.

Besides, I'll defend Hogan all the time since I'm pro-Hogan.

Besides, Ric Flair isn't one to talk. He held down Lex Luger on more than one occasion, and was responsible for Mick foley never being given a chance in the main events after his feud with Vader in the fall of 1994.

Guest Mr. Wrestling

Let's not forget what would become Alex Wright's biggest victory, when he defeated Triple H (then Jean Paul Levesque) at Starrcade 1994. Still the thought of Alex Wright defeating Triple H is pretty hilarious. Actually, the win wasn't big at the time as Levesque was just another jobber but fast forward 10 years and the victory looks impressive.