TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Delgado's Silent Protest

Delgado Makes a Stand by Taking a Seat (registration needed)

BEGINNING tonight, the Yankees will see a lot of the Toronto Blue Jays. The two teams will play 19 times in the final three months of the season. The Yankees will also see a lot of the Blue Jays slugger Carlos Delgado; they just won't see him in the middle of the seventh inning.

Advertisement

Though Delgado is having an off year, he remains one of the most respected players in Major League Baseball. Last March when the United States invaded Iraq, Delgado, in his own quiet way, said that for him, enough was enough. He had stood for "God Bless America" through the 2003 season but vowed not to do so this season. In an act of a simple, mostly unnoticed, protest against the war, Delgado, a 32-year-old first baseman, has chosen to remain in the dugout while "God Bless America" is played.

I'm curious to see the reaction to Delgado at Yankee Stadium, which George Steinbrenner has turned into a paean to patriotism. Some teams, including Toronto, have stopped playing "God Bless America," which was inserted into games after the attacks of Sept. 11. Most teams now play the song only on weekends or holidays.

The Yankees play it during the seventh-inning stretch at every home game. That includes tonight, when they begin a two-game series with Toronto. Delgado will probably not be standing on the field.

"I'm not trying to get anyone mad," he said Monday in Oakland, where the Blue Jays were playing the Athletics. "This is my personal feeling. I don't want to draw attention to myself or go out of my way to protest. If I make the last out of the seventh inning, I'll stand there. But I'd rather be in the dugout."

Good for him. In the world of mainstream professional sports, where cookie-cutter athletes rarely take a stand on any issue, let alone one as highly charged as a war, Delgado is a rarity. He is unafraid to question a ritual that he does not agree with. Delgado's protest this season has been so quiet, so subtle that Bud Selig, the baseball commissioner, didn't know about it until I called him to talk about it on Monday.

"When you called me today you actually startled me," he said from his office in Milwaukee. Selig later read a statement that he had prepared on Delgado's action.

"I'm in the process of getting more information, but eventually I would like to sit down and discuss it with Carlos," Selig said. "I am very sensitive to this kind of issue, both as a matter of respect for our country and for one's right to express his opinion."

I'll be watching to see how Selig handles this.

It was Selig, in the aftermath of Sept. 11, who ordered all teams to play "God Bless America," injecting a political statement into the games.

"I don't honestly think that politicizes the issue," Selig said, calling the playing of the anthem a matter of respect. "After all, we do have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan."

With all due respect to Selig, once "God Bless America" became a political statement, a player like Delgado became free to express his own political views.

His well-thought-out opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is just one part of a larger issue for him. Delgado, a native of Puerto Rico, sees his protest as consistent with his earlier opposition to the Navy's use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques as a weapons testing ground. In many ways, the United States military waged a form of war for 60 years on the tiny island, using a 900-acre site for bombing exercises.

Delgado, who grew up on the mainland, remembers older residents telling stories about bomb explosions.

"They lived in that target practice area for 60 years," he said. "They tell you stories of how, in the middle the night, a bomb blew up. I never experienced it, but I can imagine it. I can see why you might be a little hostile from time to time. "

Delgado, who was signed by Toronto when he was 16, spent two years involved in the movement to force the Navy to stop using Vieques as a testing site. The military ended the exercises on May 1, 2003. Now, Delgado and others want the United States government to help clean up the economic, psychological and health messes it left behind. He has contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars toward that effort and solicited other Puerto Rican celebrities to join the campaign against the aftereffects.

"It's still in the environment, it's still in the ground, it's still in the water." he said. "That's why we've got the highest cancer rate of any place in Puerto Rico."

Delgado doesn't feel the troops should be in Iraq, much as he felt the United States should not have been in Vieques. He won't stand in support of movements he does not believe in.

Delgado's decision to ignore "God Bless America" has the support of the Toronto organization, even after he said last week that he would not agree to a trade in this, the final year of his contract. Paul Godfrey, the team's president and chief executive, supports Delgado even though he disagrees with his antiwar position. Godfrey criticized the Canadian government for not sending troops to Iraq and was the force behind the team's decision in 2003 to play "God Bless America'' at the Skydome, which the team has now stopped.

"I have no problem with what Carlos did," he said in a telephone interview from Toronto. "Carlos didn't hold a placard and stop traffic. He didn't impede the game because he's not that kind of guy. He's been total class in the community almost from the day he arrived."

Even Blue Jays catcher Gregg Zaun, who strongly supports the war effort (he vowed never to buy another record by the Dixie Chicks after they criticized President Bush), supports Delgado.

"He's a pretty quiet guy and it's been quiet," Zaun said. Delgado has never raised the issue with teammates, Zaun said.

"He has his opinion and he's decided to use that as his platform," Zaun said. "Whether or not I agree with him, I salute him."

Even as he talked about his silent protest this week, Delgado emphasized that he didn't want the demonstration to become a distraction. At the same time, Delgado said he was not backing down from any criticism that comes his way.

"It takes a man to stand up for what he believes," Delgado said Monday. "Especially in a society where everything is supposed to be politically correct."

"I am not pro-war; I'm antiwar," he said. "I'm for peace."

Take that out to the ballgame.

Regardless of Delgado's reasons, I have no problem with a player sitting during God Bless America. It is not our national anthem, and it is simply a piece of fluff MLB uses to gain positive PR. I am sure New Yorkers feel differently, and the piece is played there for different, legitimate reasons. With that said, I don't think it is a piece which requires the same kind of reverence that the Star Spangled Banner commands.

That said, it needs to be noted that Delgado has done this all season, with no attention brought to the protest. He does not turn his back on the American flag, or disrespect the national anthem. I have no problem with Delgado's actions.

I think it deserves notice here, considering....

A. We're looking at the aspect of Carlo's actions, and not weapons testing in Puerto Rico, of which that discussion consisted.

B. Delgado plays tonight in Yankee Stadium.

He shouldn't have to stand up anyway. He's respecting people by sitting down on something he doesn't feel is right. Good for him.

I would do the same thing, I hate all the america rah rah stuff that has been going on everywhere since 9/11. If I want to remember peoples sacrifices I will do it in my own personal way, when I go to a baseball game I want to see baseball. I can just picture Steinbrenner riding around in his limo with an american flag sticker on the back.

Guest GreatOne

Just once do you think any athlete who, you know, makes American dollars would take his "stand" to the next level and take a pay cut?

Yeah I didn't think so either...................

Just once do you think any athlete who, you know, makes American dollars would take his "stand" to the next level and take a pay cut?

What does that have to do with anything?

Thus far whenever the media covered this story, they totally ignored Carlos Delgado's own words regarding the bomb testing in his country and how it is basically left in ruins and wasteland, and they try to turn it into a "Does Carlos Delgado hate america/the troops" debate.....it is rather sickening.

MLB.com had quite an interesting debate, with Seth Everett taking a stand that entertainers shouldn't use their forums for political protests, and Darryl Hamilton taking the opposite stand.

This is a baseball game, he is a baseball player, the only thing he needs to do is play the game. If he does not like the direction of the country that is his discretion. If he just does not want to stand during the song, that is his discretion. Patriotism is not required to be a good baseball player. He provides the fans a service, playing baseball, if fans do not like him personally stop going to the games.

Guest GreatOne

Simple, since protesting American actions might not be enough, they might go to the next level by not accepting American dollars since money is a symbol of American "arrogance" supposedly.

I just thought that MAYBE one day one of these "great stand-takers" will go all the way with with it.

Simple, since protesting American actions might not be enough, they might go to the next level by not accepting American dollars since money is a symbol of American "arrogance" supposedly.

I just thought that MAYBE one day one of these "great stand-takers" will go all the way with with it.

Carlos Delgado's employer is the Toronto Blue Jays, who last time I checked are a Canadian-based business. And his salary being listed in American dollars is totally irrelevant and is basically done only for comparative purposes with other players. Although if he was a pro wrestler he'd probably go for cheap heat by having a "contract resigning" which stipulates his salary be paid in Euros.

Come to think of it, why hasn't La Resistance tried that yet?

Guest Smues

God bless america is a shitty shitty song. I got so damn sick of it after 9/11 when it replaced take me out to the ball game and they'd show it on TV instead of going to commercial. The star spangled banner is fine, but God Bless America sucks, more power to Delgado.

I don't mind GBA, but I think it's disgraceful that it has replaced Take Me Out to the Ball Game, which is an institution of baseball and one of the things that makes it charming and unique as a sport. I remember someone telling me about how some of his friends were visiting from Japan, and they were all excited to go to a game (this was pre-9/11) because they wanted to take part in TMOTTBG because it's one of the things that makes the American game special.

I don't think it's replaced Take Me Out to the Ballgame in that many ballparks, has it? Certainly none that I've seen, but I'm curious.

Minute Maid Park does it right, I suppose, in that they do THREE songs during the stretch: GBA, Take Me Out, and then the real good stuff: Deep In the Heart of Texas. Yeah, baby.

Oh, and who cares if Delgado doesn't stand up during GBA. His choice.

The YES Network showed the Blue Jays dugout at some points, but I couldn't see Delgado. The brilliant thing about this protest is that there is nothing fans in attendance can really point towards and boo.

Guest Smues

Take me out to the ball game is back, but for the rest of 2001 including the playoffs after 9/11 it was just God bless America, and I think it was used a lot in 2002 too.

Guest Anglesault
God bless america is a shitty shitty song. I got so damn sick of it after 9/11 when it replaced take me out to the ball game and they'd show it on TV instead of going to commercial. The star spangled banner is fine, but God Bless America sucks, more power to Delgado.

Where did it replace take me out to the ballgame?

Taking a stand: Delgado does not stand for `God Bless America'

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer

July 21, 2004

AP - Jul 21, 10:49 pm EDT

More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fervently anti-war, Carlos Delgado quietly carried out his personal protest this season, refusing to stand when ``God Bless America'' was played at ballparks across the majors.

Most fans never saw him disappearing up the dugout tunnel or staying on the bench. And even teammates who disagreed with the Toronto slugger's political stance accepted his right to call the United States' invasion of Iraq ``the stupidest war ever.''

This week, though, a lot more people noticed.

The Blue Jays played at Yankee Stadium for the first time this year on Wednesday night. It's the only park in the majors where ``God Bless America'' has been played every game since the Sept. 11 attacks, a fiercely patriotic place where active military members are still admitted free.

``I don't think that will be received too well,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre predicted Wednesday before the opener of the two-game series. ``Just when Bob Sheppard starts announcing 'God Bless America,' they start applauding. If you do call attention to that, it won't be popular.''

It sure wasn't.

Delgado was greeted with scattered boos each time he batted -- no telling whether that was related to his off-the-field opinions, or his status as an opposing star.

ADVERTISEMENT

But there were brief chants of ``USA! USA!'' when he lined out in the top of the seventh. During a moment of silence before Kate Smith's rendition of ``God Bless America'' was played during the seventh-inning stretch, derisive shouts were made in his direction.

True to form, Delgado was nowhere to be seen. He left the dugout when the last out was made in the top of the seventh, and headed to the clubhouse, and was removed from the game with the Blue Jays trailing by seven runs.

Delgado politely declined to elaborate before Wednesday night's game, though he said he stood by his previous comments. After the 10-3 loss, he deferred when asked about his remarks and the crowd reaction.

``No, I will not talk about it. Is that OK? Thank you,'' he said.

While big leaguers usually come to the top step of the dugout or on to the field to stand in silence during ``God Bless America,'' Delgado does not make a public show of his stance.

In fact, until the first baseman spoke about the issue in early July to the Toronto Star, many people were not aware of how strongly he felt.

``It's a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11. It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq,'' Delgado said at the time. ``I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war.

``But I think it's the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You're just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war,'' he said. ``I don't support what they do. It's just stupid.''

AP - Jul 21, 9:55 pm EDT

More Photos

Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military's longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing.

Delgado's opinion became more well known to New York fans in a column in The New York Times on Wednesday. In it, he said, ``It takes a man to stand up for what he believes.''

``I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war,'' he said. ``I'm for peace.''

Commissioner Bud Selig said he understood Delgado's position and that it was a sensitive subject. Selig said he'd like to talk to the Blue Jays' franchise leader in home runs and RBIs about the issue.

Other athletes have taken similar approaches.

NBA guard Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf of the Denver Nuggets would not stand for the national anthem during the 1995-96 season, which led to an indefinite suspension that was lifted two days later.

Division III basketball player Toni Smith of the Manhattanville women's team attracted attention for refusing to face the flag during the national anthem in the 2002-03 season.

Most ballparks generally play ``God Bless America'' on Sunday and holidays, but the Yankees do it at every game. It comes on after Sheppard, the stadium's longtime public-address announcer, reads a remembrance to the people serving in the military.

There was a chance during this series, Delgado realized, that he might make the final out in the top of the seventh and be on the field when the tribute begins.

``This is my personal feeling. I don't want to draw attention to myself or go out of my way to protest,'' Delgado told the Times. ``If I make the last out of the seventh inning, I'll stand there. But I'd rather be in the dugout.''

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said the team has not gotten any reaction from fans about Delgado's position. Team president Paul Godfrey has said he respects Delgado's opinion but opposes his political view.

Standing in the box seats, Yankees fan Barry Phillips disagreed with Delgado, but said he would not boo him.

``I think it's totally disrespectful,'' he said shortly before gametime. ``It's a slap directly in my face, as a New Yorker and an American.''

I don't necessarily agree with the last quote. The only time I ever felt like that over baseball was after Game Six of the 01 World Series (The Blow out) when the people in Arizona thought it was OMGSOCOOLLOL2001~! to play "New York New York" for a few minutes before doing the "record scratch" into a different song.

Because, as we all know, there was no better time to mock the city of New York than November of 01.

Guest AllCanadian

He's a Puerto Rican playing on a Canadian team. Hell if I played ball I'd use the 7th inning stretch to go take a dump or something not waste my time standing for some song.

Hell, I don't stand up for this song. Because it's a really stupid song and it has been overplayed.

Thank god the Cubbies kept "Take me out to the Ballgame" over that worthless waste of three minutes.

Again...in how many ballparks has Take Me Out To The Ballgame been replaced by God Bless America?

I don't know of any. Why is this some big bone of contention for some of you people?

I don't necessarily agree with the last quote. The only time I ever felt like that over baseball was after Game Six of the 01 World Series (The Blow out) when the people in Arizona thought it was OMGSOCOOLLOL2001~! to play "New York New York" for a few minutes before doing the "record scratch" into a different song.

Because, as we all know, there was no better time to mock the city of New York than November of 01.

Would it have bothered you as much if the Yankees would have won that game?

Guest Anglesault

Would it have bothered you as much if the Yankees would have won that game?

If the Yankees won that game, they probably wouldn't have played it.

Sorry for mis-reading your post, didn't realize it was after the game.

I don't think it was that inappropriate, face it the Yankees are the most storied team in MLB history and NYC is the most famous city in the U.S. If you aren't a Yankee fan most don't like them. They have songs about the city and they beat them.

I don't forgive Arizona for their terrible game winning "hits" versus both the Yankees and the Cardinals in 2001.

Guest Anglesault
I don't think it was that inappropriate, face it the Yankees are the most storied team in MLB history and NYC is the most famous city in the U.S. If you aren't a Yankee fan most don't like them. They have songs about the city and they beat them.

There was probably a better time to mock New York City.

You know, with the whole massive tragedy and all that stuff a month and a half before that.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe they didn't realize that making fun of New York wasn't that tactful in 2001. Perhaps the reason they were playing baseball in November didn't register with anyone.

And I will give them credit. Apparently someone in that joke of a ballpark (a SWIMMING POOL?) was kind enough to stop short of popping on the screen and going "haha, those buildings fell down!"

What was so offensive about it. At some point, the Yankees are your opponents, disaster or no disaster. Yankee fans would certainly have gloated if they had won, so they should expect it in kind. There's no lyrics in New York, New York that refer to disasters, so there's really nothing I can see there.