TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

This Week in Baseball

Okay, espn.com is saying Benson deal is not done yet, and may go all the way to the Saturday deadline. But Gammons said on BTN that it was just about final and could be announced tonight. Okay ESPN, which is it?

Gammons just said that "IF" the trade happens, it will be Friday morning, thanks for getting my hopes up Pete. Gammons is iffy in these situations, now look for Benson to get dealt to the Braves or something

I see Dotel almost blew the save, which would've sucked, since I've got some good stuff going on in my fantasy league this week, pitching-wise. Maddux, Zambrano, Schmidt, Russ Ortiz and Pavano have made for some dandy W-L and ERA totals.

According to some guy on another board, it was just announced 10 PM last night that today's game WILL be played at Wrigley. Thank God, crisis averted.

Al, you should root for the Cubbies this weekend, as losing the series or getting swept would probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back and sends Bowa packing.

We've got nine days left on this roadtrip. If we were at home, the boobirds could show their appreciation for Bowa's job, and that would be the end of it. As it is, I can't believe Bowa's not gone already. If a four game sweep to a sub-.500 team won't do it, what will?

Meanwhile in the KC organization:

Jimmy Gobble was demoted (thank god)

Ken Harvey was benched by Tony Pena for not running out a groundball. No word on if Harvey was really not running it out or if he was just slow

They've lost 7 in a row, and tomorrow is the statue dedication for someone who is a candidate to replace Pena, Frank White

Situation: Tie game 5-5 in the Top of the 8th and Erubiel Durazo leads off with a double. Bobby Crosby, who has 15 homeruns this year, is up next and what does Macha have him do? Bunt. Crosby pops it up to the catcher. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Another example of why sacrifice bunting is a poor idea. This is especially true in the AL, where you don't have the pitcher coming up to bat. For pitchers, laying down a sac bunt is often more productive than swinging away with that big .124 BA. In the AL, though, it should never be done, especially not with a hitter like Crosby, who could easily drive in a man fron second if allowed to swing away. Small ball is the suck.

tomorrow is the statue dedication for someone who is a candidate to replace Pena, Frank White

It seems strange that Pena's job would be in trouble. The Royals definitely played over their heads last year, so comparing this year's results to last year's is ineffective. They've also had a few important injuries this year. I don't watch enough Royals games to know if Pena is a good or bad manager from a strategy and game management standpoint, but I don't think he's the reason the team is doing poorly this season.

It seems strange that Pena's job would be in trouble. The Royals definitely played over their heads last year, so comparing this year's results to last year's is ineffective. They've also had a few important injuries this year. I don't watch enough Royals games to know if Pena is a good or bad manager from a strategy and game management standpoint, but I don't think he's the reason the team is doing poorly this season.

If you don't compare the Royals of 2004 to the 2003 team, then how about the 2002 team that Pena managed to a 49-77 record?

Mentioning the 2003 season is one of the reasons to keep Pena around anyways.

As for injuries. I think the only somewhat important player who was hurt is Gonzalez. Sweeney has been off of the DL, Beltran was healthy, the good pitchers were healthy.

The Royals are on pace to lose 105 games this year. The worst ever in Franchise history.

Pena's management of pitchers is poor as well. He kept using Grimsley with runners on, even if Grimsley let those runners score.

::A young male sits down in a big leather chair and looks toward the camera::

Man: Hi, my name is Chase Utley. I can be seen in such games as last Sunday when I lit up Mark Prior. You may be asking yourself, "Hey Chase, why aren't you starting today against Prior?".

Seriously, what the hell?!? I don't care about "showcasing" Polanco if that is what they are doing. And is putting Polanco up against Mark Prior really a good way to showcase him. There is no reason Utley should not be in the lineup today.

There's a heavily rumored Polanco for Ricardo Rincon deal with the A's so they might be showcasing him after all. The second part of the rumor is the Phillies will flip Rincon to the Yankees for Kenny Lofton.

I think Stark was saying the only hang up with Rincon-Polanco is they were trying to find the 700k to give Oakland to make up the salary difference. So if that is the case, the deal is agreed to in principle. So there is no need to showcase him.

::A young male sits down in a big leather chair and looks toward the camera::

Man: Hi, my name is Chase Utley. I can be seen in such games as last Sunday when I lit up Mark Prior. You may be asking yourself, "Hey Chase, why aren't you starting today against Prior?".

Seriously, what the hell?!? I don't care about "showcasing" Polanco if that is what they are doing. And is putting Polanco up against Mark Prior really a good way to showcase him. There is no reason Utley should not be in the lineup today.

Man, that Scott Rolen trade is looking better with every passing day.

*shit-eating grin*

Okay, maybe Bowa does need to go. He sticks with Milton who clearly had nothing left, even though he'd just given up a homer and was getting hit harder. He yanks him after there's two on and only one out, bringing in Cormier. The Cubs proceed to take the lead on a bad judgment play by Bell, error by Abreu and for whatever reason, Bowa leaves Cormier in there to face Sosa with the potenial fifth run of the inning at second. Oh yeah, Sosa's KILLED him over his career and yet Bowa leaves him in there. Needless to say, the Cubs just plated the fifth run of the inning.

I wonder if we can pay to have this Tampa heckler moved up to Toronto. He's been on Josh Phelps today and so far he's got 2 homers.

Guest Anglesault

I just learned that Kevin Brown's first name is James.

No wonder he's always so unhappy. Kids are cruel.

In the mean time, we should humor ourselves with a picture of A-Rod and Jeter doing...well, I don't know, after the game.

73004ARodJeterPostgame2.JPG

Phillies trade Ricky Ledee to the SF Giants for Felix Rodriguez. I would believe the Polanco/Rincon deal is off, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies deal Polanco yet. He can play shortstop, so a team thinking outside the box (perhaps the Cubs) could use him. A Polanco/Lofton deal with the Yankees would make alot of sense as well.

Dammit the A's bullpen's hot streak finally ends tonight. Five runs in the 8th by the Rangers, including Ken Macha leaving in Chad Bradford to pitch to Laynce Nix with the bases loaded despite Bradford being awful against lefties his entire career. Nix's two run single puts the Rangers in the lead. 4-2 lead gone, 7-4 deficit going into the 9th.

Guest Anglesault
A Polanco/Lofton deal with the Yankees would make alot of sense as well.

Isn't he a second basemen?