TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

This Week in Baseball

Cubs had me damning their season to hell for the first six innings of the game, but they actually came through for the final three. Matt Clement FINALLY gets a win, after a near two-month drought. He only got three runs of support, but it was enough, as Glendon Rusch was awesome and Hawkins pitched like I've expected him to do all season.

The Cubs still have some issues to address here. Being that reliant on the homerun ball has hurt them heavily before and it almost did tonight. Luckily they were able to put a couple of hits and a walk together to produce the difference in the game. The Brewers announcers are annoying as hell most of the time, but they were right on the money by noting that few of the Cubs in the lineup aren't trying to hit it out of the park when they're up there. Corey Patterson, a guy with decent power, shouldn't be striking out and taking such swings as a number two hitter, for example.

And what's with Rivera blowing a save against the BLUE JAYS? I needed that win for Vazquez for my fantasy team. Even after he blew it, I knew they'd win, which made it that much more annoying.

I flipped by the Mets game just in time to see Franco get tossed, forcing them to bring in the lights-out Todd Zeile. I felt like I was watching some sort of celebrity game or something.

As well as he hits those fastballs, Wily Mo Pena's weaknesses are becoming greatly exposed on the field, as he defensive blunders throughout the game basically cost them the game tonight.

And what a bust this Pettitte signing has been. Tonight's game summed up the Astros 2004 nicely.

Another day, another terrible Barry Zito start. But after he put the A's down 5-0 in 4th (which included an RBI double to Willie Bloomquist), the A's offense has scored 13 unanswered runs to go up 13-5 on the Fighting Bavasi's.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I hope it leads to a new catcher.

ok in all honesty, nothing will happen. The only complaint was from noted whiny bitch Paul Konerko. The good news is if he tries to charge the mound, that gives the pitcher about 3 minutes to prepare a counter attack.

for the record, I am not thrilled about the prospects of a bounce back game against Johan "15 strikeouts" Santana.

ps - I am so incredibly upset about missing Zeile pitch. Seriously. His ERA for the year is a tidy 45 even, by the way.

Twins give Johan no run support. The game will be close.

Without Thomas and Ordonez. Possibly for the remainder of the season. The Twins should win the division.

Anybody see the Cards-Reds game last night? I had the picture-in-picture thing going during the Ironman match so I had no sound, but I have two questions.

1. Did anybody see Jim Edmonds "ground out" in the top of 9th? I guess no real reason to bitch, but what a terrible call.

2. If the umpire has the judgment on whether or not issuing a run if a fan catches-touches a ball that goes down the line, does the umpire have to issue two bases? Last night in the bottom of the 11th, the Cards were up 9-5 with I believe one out and Adam Dunn on second base. Wily Mo Pena hit a pop up down the right field line hooking foul. Dunn held at second and Pujols couldn't get to the ball and it bounced in fair play and a fan got to the ball before Sanders could grab it. So since it is judgement call the other way, is it ever a judgment call if it happens in that situation?

By the way, it's nice to see that Jason Varitek felt good enough to play on Monday. Must have been one of those 24 hour hand related injuries.

Played with a brace on his wrist because he's the normal catcher for Pedro.

Wakefield is pitching tomorrow, and Mirabelli gets the start, and they might have Mirabelli catch Schilling.

Guest Anglesault
By the way, it's nice to see that Jason Varitek felt good enough to play on Monday. Must have been one of those 24 hour hand related injuries.

Played with a brace on his wrist because he's the normal catcher for Pedro.

Isn't he the regular catcher for Lowe too?

I just figure if the wrist was SO BAD from the SLAP OF DOOM! he should have taken a few days off.

Guest Anglesault
Since Lowe was in a slump, they decided to start the better defensive catcher.

I thought they started Mirabelli because slapping A-Rod caused Varitek to have a crippling hand injury that prevented him from playing all of one game.

The defensive thing wasn't the report I got.

Since Lowe was in a slump, they decided to start the better defensive catcher.

I thought they started Mirabelli because slapping A-Rod caused Varitek to have a crippling hand injury that prevented him from playing all of one game

Ah, wouldn't be a Red Sox/Yankees series without AS acting like a fucking ass afterwards and calling Red Sox players pussies.

GO SAULT!!

Guest Anglesault

Yes, I'm being an ass.

I'm just pointing out that the day after a guy started a fight while wearing full catcher's gear and mask, he was unable to play due to a devastating hand injury that apparently healed well enough to play 12 hours later.

And, I told you that he played with a brace on, and because he was the regular catcher for Pedro, who had struggled against Baltimore. So, why change it and have Mirabelli start the game, when Pedro is more comfortable with Tek. Tek won't start tomorrow, and he may get the day off when Arroyo starts.

You're speculating, which is something Yankee fans love to do.

Guest Anglesault

I'm not speculataing on anything. I'm complimenting him on his superfast healing wrist.

Edited by Anglesault

And I'm again bringing this up.

Lowe had struggled in previous starts. Mirabelli is the better defensive catcher and calls the better game, which...try and get his...HELPS DEREK LOWE.

I'm not speculataing on anything

I thought they started Mirabelli because slapping A-Rod caused Varitek to have a crippling hand injury that prevented him from playing all of one game.

Must have been one of those 24 hour hand related injuries.

'm complimenting on his superfast healing wrist.

All of those are quotes that you made without fucking thinking (what a fucking surprise there).

- Varitek will NOT START TONIGHT. (that's a game off)

- Varitek may NOT START ON WEDNESDAY. (that's a game off)

- Varitek didn't start Sunday against the Yankees because MIRABELLI IS THE BETTER CATCHER DEFENSIVELY, CALLS A BETTER GAME, THUS WOULD HELP LOWE PITCH A BETTER GAME. *GASP* LOWE DID!!!!

Guest Anglesault

Lowe had struggled in previous starts. Mirabelli is the better defensive catcher and calls the better game, which...try and get his...HELPS DEREK LOWE.

Since when are little, insignificant things like defense important to you people? How does whatever defense Mirabelli adds justify taking Varitek's bat out of a Yankee/Red Sox game?

Varitek will NOT START TONIGHT. (that's a game off

A game he wasn't going to start whether the wrist injury came up or not.

Varitek may NOT START ON WEDNESDAY. (that's a game off)

But then again, he may.

Varitek didn't start Sunday against the Yankees because MIRABELLI IS THE BETTER CATCHER DEFENSIVELY, CALLS A BETTER GAME, THUS WOULD HELP LOWE PITCH A BETTER GAME. *GASP* LOWE DID!!!!

Well, if that's the reasoning, then someone in the Red Sox organization is a big fat liar. Seeing as all the reports on the situation (including the one on the red sox site with quotes from Varitek himself) seem to think Varitek didn't play, not for some defensive reason, but because he had a sore wrist.

2. If the umpire has the judgment on whether or not issuing a run if a fan catches-touches a ball that goes down the line, does the umpire have to issue two bases? Last night in the bottom of the 11th, the Cards were up 9-5 with I believe one out and Adam Dunn on second base. Wily Mo Pena hit a pop up down the right field line hooking foul. Dunn held at second and Pujols couldn't get to the ball and it bounced in fair play and a fan got to the ball before Sanders could grab it. So since it is judgement call the other way, is it ever a judgment call if it happens in that situation?

I think the difference there is that the ball actually hit in fair territory before being touched by the fan. Since it touched in fair territory, it's ruled just like any other "ground rule" double and every runner, including the batter, gets two bases. I don't believe the umpire's judgment ever comes into play.

Since when are little, insignificant things like defense important to you people? How does whatever defense Mirabelli adds justify taking Varitek's bat out of a Yankee/Red Sox game?

As long as I can get Lowe pitching well again, I don't care. Mirabelli isn't NEAR the offensive player Tek is, but I want him calling the game if Lowe is struggling.

A game he wasn't going to start whether the wrist injury came up or not.

Yeah...and? You're calling him a pussy because he supposedly "ducked the yankees" or something. He's getting a game off for his sore wrist, admittedly.

Well, if that's the reasoning, then someone in the Red Sox organization is a big fat liar. Seeing as  all the reports on the situation (including the one on the red sox site with quotes from Varitek himself) seem to think Varitek didn't play, not for some defensive reason, but because he had a sore wrist.

And then he started last night because Pedro is more comfortable with Tek because he's caught him for longer. You're making this more complicated than it is, AS.

Even if Tek didn't have a sore wrist, I wanted Mirabelli starting Sunday with Lowe pitching. Lowe has struggled, and Mirabelli seems to be the better catcher. Well, Lowe pitched much better...

Tek started the game yesterday with a brace on his wrist. He started because Pedro is more comfortable with Tek because Tek has caught him more.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

hey maybe they start Marabelli cause he's better, period? He's beat the crap outta the ball all year. Varitek couldn't even beat the crap outta A-Rod.

Guest FrigidSoul

I don't like the fact that Derek Lowe is going to be pitching Minnesota. Sinkers and carpet do not mix well at all. With the day off on Thursday I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowe pitch Friday and then Arroyo on Saturday. That puts the rotation back to what it was suppose to be with.

I think the difference there is that the ball actually hit in fair territory before being touched by the fan. Since it touched in fair territory, it's ruled just like any other "ground rule" double and every runner, including the batter, gets two bases. I don't believe the umpire's judgment ever comes into play.

Cool thanks man. I thought I had heard before that it is a judgment for situations if the runner is on first, maybe on a hit and run, so if it appears the runner would have scored (maybe this is only on balls down the line toched by fans) the ump can award the team with a run.

Or maybe I am creating my own rules in my mind!

I don't like the fact that Derek Lowe is going to be pitching Minnesota. Sinkers and carpet do not mix well at all. With the day off on Thursday I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowe pitch Friday and then Arroyo on Saturday. That puts the rotation back to what it was suppose to be with.

Skeptical, I checked the stats. It's true. Derek Lowe's career ERA on artificial turf is 5.93, and 3.38 on grass. He also has an interesting second half split. 4.09 career ERA in the first half, and 3.34 in the second half. Despite the difference in ERA, his opponents' batting average only differs by one point between the two halves.

I'm writing up the D'backs for next week's column, and I wanted to throw this out before the trade deadline. The D'backs are on pace for 111 losses. If they trade Finley and Johnson, I honestly think they could give the '62 Mets a run.

Guest Anglesault
I'm writing up the D'backs for next week's column, and I wanted to throw this out before the trade deadline. The D'backs are on pace for 111 losses. If they trade Finley and Johnson, I honestly think they could give the '62 Mets a run.

Well, that'd be cool.

And Tigers would have been a sure fire 123 if the Twins do not clinch the division so early. Tigers beat the Twins 5 of the last 6 tumes they played (2 of Detroit's final 3 series)