TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Mets acquire Benson in 3 team deal

It seems like Rick Peterson's got himself an ego. No doubt, he's a good pitching coach. He's helped Glavine turn things around. However, how much does Oakland miss him? Mulder's the Cy Young favorite, when he was healthy Hudson was the league ERA leader, and Zito's been off but he had bad stretches when Peterson was pitching coach. Rich Harden also continues to improve start by start. Without the benefit of Peterson. Maybe, just maybe Oakland's starters are just really talented and knew how to pitch up to their abilities.

I don't think Zambrano is worth a 20 year old lefty, who many are saying is very good.

I've watched Zambrano, and when he's on, he's above average, but hittable. I'd like to see who Zambrano compares to with his numbers at this point in his career...of course, I don't know the website. :(

www.baseball-reference.com

Even if the team soured on Kazmir, it is inexcusable to trade him for a pitcher the caliber of Victor Zambrano. Kazmir was rated the #5 pitching prospect by John Sickels, and #12 overall by Baseball Prospectus. Kazmir is the guy you trade when you go after Randy Johnson. Not a 28 year old hurler with zero control.

Fuck, All I have to say is that i'm utterly disgusted right now with this organization. This is just as bad as the Lenny Dystra trade.

I don't understand what the Wilpons are thinking....This team has NOOO shot of winning the division. They were picked to be in last this yr and are lucky to be where they are now at .500. WE just gave up 3 of our best prospects for these 2nd-tier pitchers where 1's going to be a FA and demand ace $ and we also get a guy who can't throw strikes.....and they do this all for a shot at the divsion.????What about the bullpen?????

The Mets need a BAT.

For as weak as their rotation and their bullpen may look on the outside, they were both still holding up remarkably well. These weren't the divisions of the team that needed fixing. A good percentage of the games this season have ended with the Mets only giving up one to three runs.

It's the fact that none of them can fucking HIT that's the problem. Absolutely nobody on that team is a clutch player. When the big hits are needed, nobody can seem to get them. Piazza chooses to watch the third strike sail across the plate instead of deciding to swing. Cameron likes to hack at the ball wildly, hoping that he might be able to possibly get a piece of it. These are supposed to be our POWER players - the guys we rely on to bring the team back from a deficit, and get the big game-winning run. The ones that are actually supposed to insure that the Mets can score more than ONE OR TWO RUNS a game.

But, as we can all tell, they're not doing this. Would we be in the same situation today - a complete lack of clutch hitting and productive scoring - if they had actually made a solid attempt to acquire Vladimir Guerrero in the offseason? Who knows.

All I can see for sure is that the pitching so far has not been a major problem. The starting rotation, for the most part, has actually done a very fine job. I can't count how many times Glavine has been screwed out of a deserved win this season, because the players can't do what they're paid to do - and that's hit.

But sure, Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano will solve all the Mets problems. The problems that really had nothing to do with pitching in the first place. By the time Wilpon realizes that he needs somebody with an actual big bat, it'll be too late.

But then again, I'm sure Mo Vaughn is just waiting by the phone to get a call back. Wilpon will bring back those big bats - without actually spending money, of course.

The ineptitude of the Mets front office shocks me. Which is a shame, because I try so hard to be a Mets fan.

The thing is this........lately the Mets have been kind of down on Kazmir and the word is that he really might never have the endurance, stamina, or mentality to be a big league starter. They were seeing him as a bullpen guy lately. They've been sour on Huber too, who was looked at recently as a back up catcher. If you can get a good big league pitcher who just needs to work out some kinks, then do it. At least he's pitched in the big leagues. Pitchers in the minors are very scetchy.

We had an untradeable guy, Aaron Heilman. The guy now can't even get hitters out in AAA and has an era of over 5. He was our #1 prospect. Want another example?

The big 3 in 94 and 95 that were supposed to turn the orginization around:

Isringhausen, Pulsipher, Wilson

Jason Isringhausen - Turned into an ok closer, but was supposed to be a great starter.

Bill Pulsipher - Yeah, try to find him now

Paul Wilson - He's doing ok with the Reds now, and it only took him 10 years. A guy that was scouted as throwing 95mph, gets arm injuries and now throws about 87

Make the damn trade and Benson already said he'd like to sign with the MEts

Jason Isringhausen - Turned into an ok closer, but was supposed to be a great starter.

Paul Wilson - He's doing ok with the Reds now, and it only took him 10 years. A guy that was scouted as throwing 95mph, gets arm injuries and now throws about 87

Dallas Green. This team was quite possibly the reason pitch counts gained prominance over the last few years. They were completely destroyed by overuse.

Dallas Green. This team was quite possibly the reason pitch counts gained prominance over the last few years. They were completely destroyed by overuse.

I don't agree. If that's your point then you're saying any pitcher with an arm injury is a product of being overused.

That's an invalid argument. Overuse causes arm injuries. Not all arm injuries are caused by overuse. The pitch counts came along because the team made people realize that you can't abuse your young arms. You can't prevent arm injuries, but you can take preventative measures.

Yeah but guys like Pulsipher and Wilson were getting hit so hard when they were brought up that they rarely would pitch into the 6 th inning....lol

I see what you're saying though

Yeah but guys like Pulsipher and Wilson were getting hit so hard when they were brought up that they rarely would pitch into the 6 th inning....lol

That's the arm abuse in effect. They were overworked before they even reached the majors. Pulsipher pitched 201 innings at the age of 20, in AA.

Guest Anglesault

Ah, good ol' Generation K.

That was my Ty Cobbinton material eight years ago.

Whatever happened to Dallas Green? :D

He's currently feuding with the Phillies best players to the point where the fans turn on them, and they get traded to St. Louis despite the protestations of at least one Phillies fan who knows better.