TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

The Regal-HHH segments

Guest wildpegasus

Regal's one of my favourites to watch. His best stuff I enjoy as much as anyone.

Guest Kid Kablam

Does anyone have a link to avideo clip of the segment. I'm dying to watch it now.

When the whole beatdown was happening, the only thing that I was thinking was hot smart the WWE would be to extend the HHH-Regal feud to Summerslam, and then have Eugene return to help his friend/mentor get the win against HHH. And that would be the beginning of the HHH-Eugene feud.

Instead, they hotshot a one night beatdown and then announce the HHH-Eugene match in a pretty anti-climactic way. Why rush things? What's wrong with a slow-burn??

Why rush things? What's wrong with a slow-burn??

because Vince ruined the slow burn. This isn't the 80s anymore where Flair and wrestler X can go to a 60 minute draw and the crowd goes home happy. Vince has been putting on 3-5 minute matches for at least 5 years. It's only since Michaels/HHH on the 12/29 Raw that the Raw main events have been getting longer?

Further proof of this was the crowd starting "here we go Steelers" chants about 15 minutes into the Ironman last week. Granted, it was one of the slower parts of the match, and the match got MUCH better once Triple H start with the chest psychology, but my point is still there.

Sometimes it makes me long for that 5 month gap between Wrestlemania and SummerSlam.

I'd love to see a Regal vs HHH at the Tuesday PPV. Possibly a Last Man Standing match or something. I think Regal could carry a guy like Flair to something good. I enjoyed the segments, and I am suprised at the monster pops Regal has gotten.

Guest Staravenger

So is Regal going to pull a Rock and come back with the ever mysterious taped ribs, or will he actually be out for a while? If the latter, I'm gonna be pissed because Regal rules.

Why rush things?  What's wrong with a slow-burn??

because Vince ruined the slow burn.

Very good answer ... another perfect example of this is when Hardy returned to Raw, and they teased his reuniting with Lita for all of an hour. Or when HHH & Michaels reformed DX for about 2 hours.

Vince doesn't seem to grasp that delaying the HHH-Eugene match, people will want to see it more. (or, in the other examples, if people have a few weeks to get comfortable with Lita/Hardy or a reunited DX they will be that much more angry with the ~swerve.)

So is Regal going to pull a Rock and come back with the ever mysterious taped ribs, or will he actually be out for a while? If the latter, I'm gonna be pissed because Regal rules.

He's out of sight until SS, and then returns at the PPV to help Eugene get the win.

Why rush things?  What's wrong with a slow-burn??

because Vince ruined the slow burn.

Very good answer ... another perfect example of this is when Hardy returned to Raw, and they teased his reuniting with Lita for all of an hour. Or when HHH & Michaels reformed DX for about 2 hours.

Vince doesn't seem to grasp that delaying the HHH-Eugene match, people will want to see it more. (or, in the other examples, if people have a few weeks to get comfortable with Lita/Hardy or a reunited DX they will be that much more angry with the ~swerve.)

I also think, and i know we joke about this all the time, but I seriously think a lot of times that the shows are written week to week. The booking of Benoit from January-April was the first sign of long term booking I'd seen in a LONG time.

I also think, unlike Vince probably, that wrestling as a core with good angle to supplement is what draws an audience, not excellent storylines as your core with paltry wrestling tacked on as an afterthought.

Guest Black Lightning

Getting back to the Regal/HHH thing for a minute, I would just like to add that Regal owns almost the entire roster in acting skills. Did anyone else notice, when HHH was yelling at Regal on the stretcher, the tears in Regal's eyes? That was just an absolutely brilliant touch, and really sold the raw emotion that was there. Also, there were a bunch of little things that really solidified the anger. Like, for example, HHH angrily whipping the sledge hammer up the ramp at the end.

And a bloodied Regal grabbing the brass knucks and putting them on, while his hand has blood all over it, and he has a crazed look in his eye, was a fantastic visual.

Good God, I loved that interaction.

It was by far the best part of the night, and Regal is the man but I think everyone missed the most important part of it all.........

AngleSault liked something..........

Hey, you're right.

How often is it when Anglesault actually LIKES something?

Getting back to the Regal/HHH thing for a minute, I would just like to add that Regal owns almost the entire roster in acting skills. Did anyone else notice, when HHH was yelling at Regal on the stretcher, the tears in Regal's eyes? That was just an absolutely brilliant touch, and really sold the raw emotion that was there.

Actually, I thought it might have been more believable for Regal to have no reaction at all- as in eyes closed, out cold. The man just got worked over with a sledgehammer. For the sake of 'pro rasslin,' I'm willing to believe the sledge shots didn't kill him, but they could have at least made him unconscious.

Guest Anglesault
It was by far the best part of the night, and Regal is the man but I think everyone missed the most important part of it all.........

AngleSault liked something..........

Hey, you're right.

How often is it when Anglesault actually LIKES something?

Everytime they concentrate on putting on quality TV.

The problem is the idiots who write the show are far more concerned with BRIGNIG TEH FUNNY! or stupid far out storylines than actually making good TV.

You'd hope they'd have the sense to at least keep Regal face for the UK Raw later this year. I mean, if ever a wrestler is going to get huge pops, a face Regal in the UK is that wrestler. I know a lot of people who would still cheer Regal if he was a heel over here, so weakening the crowd reaction would make little to no sense.

You'd hope they'd have the sense to at least keep Regal face for the UK Raw later this year. I mean, if ever a wrestler is going to get huge pops, a face Regal in the UK is that wrestler. I know a lot of people who would still cheer Regal if he was a heel over here, so weakening the crowd reaction would make little to no sense.

Everything you said just made 100 percent perfect sense.

And that's probably exactly why they'll try to turn Regal heel between now and then. For some asinine reason, WWE has this obsession with trying to control audience reactions to the degree that they'll turn a guy heel in his hometown just to control the audience reaction. To them, it almost seems like they'd rather get that small heel heat rather than a monstrous face pop just because THEY CAUSED that heel heat, rather than the spontaneous face reaction.

Any time you see someone get a reaction that "isn't in the script," they bend over backwards to try to account for it. It's almost embarassing.

A couple things that spring to mind are that Highlight Reel segment with Michaels and Jericho in Montreal last year and how at certain times when a heel wrestler is in his hometown, they'll have him cut a generic "this town sucks" promo during a commercial so when they come back on air, it seems like he's naturally getting booed.

And Russo ruined it for everyone when HHH "killed" Rock w the sledge while he was stuck in the casket two weeks before That Pay Per View anyway.......

I'd say HHH swinging it like a baseball bat and hitting Big Show IN THE HEAD to help Rock + Sock win a Buried Alive match back in 99 did it, IMO.

uh rock and sock lost that match but hh hit show? i dont recall that I know he cost rock and sock the match the austin showed up in an ambulance that was theoritcally there to help rock and foley and beat up hhh

good points all, did you also notice regal talking about he is a bad man and has done bad evil things and normally if hhh had done that to someone else than eugene he may even have liked it, but not to eugene. so hes like hey im evil and all but not that evil to take advantage of a mentally disabled person. Regal hated eugene at first but grew a respect for him when he trained him and he proved himself in the ring. since regal came from the carnival streetfighting days, you would have to think this is truly believable (the respect issue). Cmon who's going to cheer for a guy taking advantage of and making fun of a handicapped person? that's why eugene is over (though they have strained that by putting him all over raw) like rick steiner or george steele before him.

and the blood was brutal, Regal sure knows how to blade properly (probably took his aspirin before the match too) i mean it was dripping off his head in thick puddles GROSS

first eddy and now regal, we may need a Blade Job of the year award