TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Fantastic Kurt Angle article

Guest wayzing
Ultimately, they work MAYBE 10 minutes a night - 40 minutes a week - while everyone else works 40 hours a week for probably lesser pay.

:(

Ggeo... you're new here, so I will throw the benefit of what I have learned here towards you:

Igonre RRR, he's just trying to start an argument. And he is particuarly good at it.

What the hell? Is this some kind of joke? A recent smackdown house show alone has a 45 minute match with JBL against the Undertaker and of course that's just for that one house show.

!!!!!!!

I think RRR is simply just referring to the guys who suck in the ring and are just learning. They aren't out there doing 45 minute matches(help us all if the wwe gives them 45 minutes on sunday and cut back on Eddie/Angle which from Angle's rant on Byte This could be interpreted that way), but 10 minute matches. I have not seen guys like Jindrak going that long because he would put people to tears. Of course, the argument is if they don't get the chance how could they improve. My answer to that is what the hell is OVW and the other independent circuits for then? I think Velocity and Heat get low ratings for a reason B-) wit thse dull and generic matches for the most part with the once in a blue moon solid confrontations.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Kurt Angle wrestles family history of angina

By Kat Carney

CNN Headline News

(CNN) --World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. star and Olympic gold medal winner Kurt Angle has carved out a distinctive persona for the millions of fans who love him -- or love to hate him.

When I caught up with Angle before a recent WWE match, the man behind the larger-than-life persona described a childhood legacy that remains close to his heart -- literally.

"Growing up I thought that everybody died of a heart attack, because ... I had 14 people in my family who suffer from this heart condition called angina, or heart disease in general."

"I didn't realize until about six years ago that heart attacks aren't the natural way to die," he said. "So, I took it upon myself to learn more about heart disease, [and] to learn more about angina."

Angina occurs when a portion of the heart muscle temporarily fails to receive adequate amounts of blood, usually due to a narrowing or blockage of the arteries. Symptoms can include tightness and/or pain in the chest area.

Angina is a sign of an underlying coronary heart disease. It puts a patient at higher risk for heart attack, but should not be confused with a heart attack, which occurs when blood flow is suddenly cut off from a part of the heart.

Because of his family's medical history, Angle takes precautions. "I get regular check-ups, and I think everyone should," he said. "I learned through proper diet, proper exercise, keeping a healthy lifestyle and staying away from alcohol and smoking [that] I have a better chance of not getting a heart attack."

Ironically, Angle's family provided the inspiration for his healthy lifestyle, as well as his involvement in the "Get Tough on Angina" campaign sponsored by a pharmaceutical firm that manufactures angina medication. "My family didn't diet, they didn't exercise, they all smoked, they all drank alcohol," he said. "Through my family I learned what not to do."

Angle now has a family of his own; the birth of his daughter has given him an added incentive to keep a good handle on his health: "I know that I want to be around for a long, long time for her."

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/01/30/hln.bio.kurt.angle

Guest Ggeo
Ggeo... you're new here, so I will throw the benefit of what I have learned here towards you:

Igonre RRR, he's just trying to start an argument.  And he is particuarly good at it.

I see then. I was hoping it was just a bad joke I didn't get, but apparently not.

Promoter:

"I think RRR is simply just referring to the guys who suck in the ring and are just learning. They aren't out there doing 45 minute matches(help us all if the wwe gives them 45 minutes on sunday and cut back on Eddie/Angle which from Angle's rant on Byte This could be interpreted that way), but 10 minute matches. I have not seen guys like Jindrak going that long because he would put people to tears. Of course, the argument is if they don't get the chance how could they improve. My answer to that is what the hell is OVW and the other independent circuits for then? I think Velocity and Heat get low ratings for a reason wit thse dull and generic matches for the most part with the once in a blue moon solid confrontations."

Even for the guys who suck, the vast majority of the work they do is in the preparation for however much time they might get on a card. I don't see a problem with respecting the effort they put into their work even if their matches and segments are actually bad because of them. Obviously some wrestlers deserve more respect for trying harder, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still give a basic level of respect for the others who aren't as good.

If you averaged off all the matches in a week, they'd probably be around 10 minutes per wrestler per match. You'd get some that are 3 minutes, you'd get some that are 20 minutes and some don't wrestle at all. Most hover around the 10 minute mark and 45 minutes isn't very common. But let's ignore my point and the context inwhich it was in. (*I'm* the one trying to start an "argument"??? Hell, I'd say the post(er) I was responding to then and the post(er) I'm responding to now were trying harder than I was"). It's a point people generally don't think about... and evidently they still aren't.

The _context_ was GS talking about all the hardships wrestlers go through _in-ring_ (referring to bumps specifically); my point was that they don't spend a lot of time in-ring and it isn't even close to the amount of time the everyday Joe puts into their job (my actual point was "they choose this, so they shouldn't automatically get respect for it"). But hey, if you want me to bump it up to 1 hour -if it makes you happy- I'll do it. Hell, let's bump it up to 3 hours (Four 45 minute matches - which are as uncommon as they are original-in-content). Still not even _close_ to the regular workshift. I worked 12 hours today and I didn't make a FRACTION of what the worst wrestler on the roster would make in 12 minutes. Hell, the worst wrestler on the roster wouldn't/couldn't even go 12 minutes (let's say 6), and he'd make way more than me. How am I supposed to respect that? I'll respect the ones who can go long and do it well and actually earn their paycheck, rather than giving it out to anyone who steps in the ring.

You bring up Storms' website, which is funny, because he says most wrestlers _play cards/video games_ in the arena before a show. Travelling and Working out are not exclusive to wrestlers - millions of people do it and they don't consider it "work". I wouldn't consider Working Out to be a "hard" part of their job, nor is preparing for matches, nor is autograph signings, nor is working out promos. This doesn't -and shouldn't- get them a free-pass in respect.

The _wrestling lifestyle_ is a difficult one. Drugs, Rats, Travelling are all problems wrestlers can encounter. Drugs and Women are completely of their own doing and are easy to avoid; they shouldn't get respect for dealing with it. Travelling is said to be the hardest part of their job -it's what Lesnar basically quit over and half of Storms commentaries are on how much he hates it. I won't respect someone because they get to see the world but have to deal with traffic and bad airlines.

However, those who work out every day, who spend a lil extra time at autograph sessions, who put up with all the drugs and sleaze, who go from Texas to Tokyo to Toronto in a week with 4 hours of sleep, and who are still able to go out and perform well for me and continually improve and have that drive get a TON of respect. But if they suck, then why should I give it? Because they work hard and get hurt? Fuck that. They're idiots if they put all that time and effort into showing up and don't perform well.

I went everywhere in this, I hope it's coherent. I worked really hard on it, my fingers hurt, and it was after a long day. I'm glad to know that whatever it says, I'll have some peoples' undying respect.

Back to the topic at hand, if there was such a thing as a hero, Kurt Angle is it.

Period.

Even the most negative on these forums will have a hard time debating that.

Kurt Angle is a hero.

If you disagree, I'm interested in what your definition of a hero is exactly.

I still wanna know when this 45 MINUTE MARATHON between Undertaker and JBL took place.

I know! I have never seen or heard UT going that long in a match in my life and I have been watching this stuff before UT was even in the company.

Guest Ray
Back to the topic at hand, if there was such a thing as a hero, Kurt Angle is it.

Period.

Kurt Angle is a hero.

Being a wrestler isn't heroic.

Running into a burning building to save a baby is heroic.

Diving on a grenade to save your platoon is heroic.

Tackling a giant guy who has a big knife and is trying to rape a woman is heroic.

A cop serving an arrest warrant on a crazy guy hiding in a dark house is heroic.

Taking bumps in a wrestling ring to get paid isn't heroic. So unless I missed the time Angle took a bullet trying to stop a bank robbery, he's not a hero. Hard working wrestler? Yes. Hero? No.

The word "hero" has been disgustingly watered down. I watch ESPN and hear crap like "his last-second heroics saved the game!" after a basketball player makes a buzzer beater to win a game. It's ridiculous.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

I'm going to enjoy Kurt Angle while I can, because he is such a tragedy in the making.

Period.

Kurt Angle is a hero.

Tackling a giant guy who has a big knife and is trying to rape a woman is heroic.

A cop serving an arrest warrant on a crazy guy hiding in a dark house is heroic.

Taking bumps in a wrestling ring to get paid isn't heroic. So unless I missed the time Angle took a bullet trying to stop a bank robbery, he's not a hero. Hard working wrestler? Yes. Hero? No.

The word "hero" has been disgustingly watered down. I watch ESPN and hear crap like "his last-second heroics saved the game!" after a basketball player makes a buzzer beater to win a game. It's ridiculous.

The Hurricane is a SUPER hero. You can't deny that.

Guest Ggeo
I still wanna know when this 45 MINUTE MARATHON between Undertaker and JBL took place.

It took place on August 7th.

RavishingRickRudo:

"The _context_ was GS talking about all the hardships wrestlers go through _in-ring_ (referring to bumps specifically); my point was that they don't spend a lot of time in-ring and it isn't even close to the amount of time the everyday Joe puts into their job (my actual point was "they choose this, so they shouldn't automatically get respect for it"). But hey, if you want me to bump it up to 1 hour -if it makes you happy- I'll do it. Hell, let's bump it up to 3 hours (Four 45 minute matches - which are as uncommon as they are original-in-content). Still not even _close_ to the regular workshift. I worked 12 hours today and I didn't make a FRACTION of what the worst wrestler on the roster would make in 12 minutes. Hell, the worst wrestler on the roster wouldn't/couldn't even go 12 minutes (let's say 6), and he'd make way more than me. How am I supposed to respect that? I'll respect the ones who can go long and do it well and actually earn their paycheck, rather than giving it out to anyone who steps in the ring."

If you are going to put it in that context, then you shouldn't have tried to compare a professional wrestler's job to a regular job. Beyond that, the hardships with bumps don't exist only when wrestling, but affect them at all times (except of course when they are sleeping or something like that). Especially when said bumps cause permanent or long-lasting injuries. Working through many of the injuries they get is just part of the job.

As for the "they choose this, so they shouldn't automatically get respect for it", how does that make sense? If someone chooses to be a firefighter or a police officer, don't automatically gain some level of respect just for choosing a job that's essentially guaranteed to be a huge pain in the ass for them and their families? Sure there may be the exception for someone finds a way to get off easy, but that's not the rule.

I don't know why you are bringing up how much money they make because while they may make much more money than you do and the average joe, they also have to spend a lot more of it for their job. Unlike the average joe's jobs, they don't get pensions or anything like that. They don't get the kind of insurance the average joe gets, they can't afford to just take days off, and their job security is much lower than that of the average joe. They are also pretty much guaranteed to have lasting injuries that will affect them for the rest of their life as well.

"You bring up Storms' website, which is funny, because he says most wrestlers _play cards/video games_ in the arena before a show. Travelling and Working out are not exclusive to wrestlers - millions of people do it and they don't consider it "work". I wouldn't consider Working Out to be a "hard" part of their job, nor is preparing for matches, nor is autograph signings, nor is working out promos. This doesn't -and shouldn't- get them a free-pass in respect."

Yes, so what? That's true of many organizations that have their employees constantly moving around the country like touring rock bands and whatnot. That doesn't mean they have a lot of time to actually play each day nor does it mean they don't work more than the average joe. As for traveling and working not being exclusive to wrestlers, that's true. So what? The wrestlers must travel and work out to a far greater degree than the vast majority of those people do and it is a necessary requirement for their job so it does count as work. It doesn't even matter if you consider working out, preparing for matches, and so on to be hard. Let's just assume that they aren't hard (have you ever done any of these things anywhere close to the degree a wrestler would have to do them to say they aren't hard?). Most jobs in real life aren't that hard at all but they still count as work. I used to work as a data entry worker where I had to type information from papers into a computer program. It was certainly not hard work, but it was still work.

This stuff isn't what gets them a free-pass in respect. The fact that they have willingly chosen a job they know will likely result in long-term losses like quality of life is what gets the free-pass in respect. The respect comes from the being able to recognize that their jobs take a lot of guts to do especially since they are also entrusting their lives to other people on a regular basis.

"The _wrestling lifestyle_ is a difficult one. Drugs, Rats, Travelling are all problems wrestlers can encounter. Drugs and Women are completely of their own doing and are easy to avoid; they shouldn't get respect for dealing with it. Travelling is said to be the hardest part of their job -it's what Lesnar basically quit over and half of Storms commentaries are on how much he hates it. I won't respect someone because they get to see the world but have to deal with traffic and bad airlines."

It's not just that, the traveling as well forces the wrestlers to not be around their children, wives, or friends who live near them for the usual minimum 4 days they are gone every week. That was something Lesnar had a big problem with as well.

Period.

Kurt Angle is a hero.

I'd consider him a hero because he had a dream and accomplished it, while representing his country at the Olympics. He's an excellent role model.

From RAJAH(!)

*WWE Championship*

JBL © vs. Undertaker

JBL came out to a lot of heat. He shook the hands kissed the babies and talked for a

little bit and tried to get the crowd started in a chant of “J-B-L” but after each

time he chanted the letters, the crowd yelled “SUCKS” so it worked out well. Then

the lights shut off. Then Undertaker came out to a HUGE pop. The blue lights shown

as he walked to the ring. (He’s huge, by the way. I got goose bumps as he made the

lights turn on. He’s the best) He stepped in the ring and did all of his stuff. Then

they started wrestling and it was a pretty even match. The wrestling was good. No

mess ups.

ENDING: Orlando Jordan interfered (*as he jumped on the apron he almost slipped, it

was funny) and tried to hit UT with the belt but was stopped by a big boot then JBL

picked up the belt and hit UT with it and the ref called for the bell. Undertaker

won by DQ. JBL then hit UT with the clothesline and OJ started beating on him. JB:

then called for anybody to come out and beat up the UT saying “It’s free season on

the UT, so come on out!” The Dudley’s came out as JBL grabbed a chair and…and…sat

with OJ on the outside to watch the inevitable beating. The Dudley’s hit the 3-D

version 2 and started taunting the crowd. But I wasn’t fooled. Taker sat up. *F’n

HUGE pop*. Choke slammed both Dudley’s and walked off. The Dudley’s then walked off.

I see NOTHING about 45 minutes. There is no way these guys would or could go 45 minutes, and they wouldn't LET them on a house show.

I believe you may be lying.

Also from this show:

*House Note*

As the Dudley’s were to the curtain some 12 yr. old kid spit on Bubba Ray causing

Bubba to get pissed and before Bubba got to the kid who did security threw the kid

down and hauled his ass outta there. (Yes!)

Wow, they beat on 12 year olds now?

Guest Ggeo

I got the information from a fan on another forum who went to the event and said it lasted 45 minutes. Maybe the guy was wrong about that information, but I have no idea why you think I was lying. I could have easily mentioned the iron match made between Benoit and Triple H and it would have worked just as fine for my argument.

Besides, what makes you possibly think JBL and the Undertaker couldn't go for 45 minutes? Both of them have gone in 20+ minutes in very good matches with other wrestlers and that was on PPV where they had huge bright lights constantly on them and the pressure of being watched by millions of fans. This was a match in a far more relaxed environment in a front of maybe a few thousand and with far less lighting hitting them. I have very little doubt in my mind they could do go 45 minutes and be a very good match especially since they are supposed to be friends in real life.

From RAJAH(!)

*WWE Championship*

JBL © vs. Undertaker

JBL came out to a lot of heat. He shook the hands kissed the babies and talked for a

little bit and tried to get the crowd started in a chant of “J-B-L” but after each

time he chanted the letters, the crowd yelled “SUCKS” so it worked out well. Then

the lights shut off. Then Undertaker came out to a HUGE pop. The blue lights shown

as he walked to the ring. (He’s huge, by the way. I got goose bumps as he made the

lights turn on. He’s the best) He stepped in the ring and did all of his stuff. Then

they started wrestling and it was a pretty even match. The wrestling was good. No

mess ups.

ENDING: Orlando Jordan interfered (*as he jumped on the apron he almost slipped, it

was funny) and tried to hit UT with the belt but was stopped by a big boot then JBL

picked up the belt and hit UT with it and the ref called for the bell. Undertaker

won by DQ. JBL then hit UT with the clothesline and OJ started beating on him. JB:

then called for anybody to come out and beat up the UT saying “It’s free season on

the UT, so come on out!” The Dudley’s came out as JBL grabbed a chair and…and…sat

with OJ on the outside to watch the inevitable beating. The Dudley’s hit the 3-D

version 2 and started taunting the crowd. But I wasn’t fooled. Taker sat up. *F’n

HUGE pop*. Choke slammed both Dudley’s and walked off. The Dudley’s then walked off.

I see NOTHING about 45 minutes. There is no way these guys would or could go 45 minutes, and they wouldn't LET them on a house show.

I believe you may be lying.

Also from this show:

*House Note*

As the Dudley’s were to the curtain some 12 yr. old kid spit on Bubba Ray causing

Bubba to get pissed and before Bubba got to the kid who did security threw the kid

down and hauled his ass outta there. (Yes!)

Wow, they beat on 12 year olds now?

If a 12 year old spit on me it would be a throwdown, no questions asked.

Who WOULDNT kick a kids ass if they spit on you?