TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheex Incarnate

Flair/Piper fight

I just DLed this video of Flair attacking Piper (who was announcing) during his entrance. I can't place the time or purpose of this particular altercation. During the fight, Flair hits Piper with the belt, then Macho Man (also announcing) tries to help (McMahon mentions how he better stay out of it, as "he's on probation"?). Then Piper gets hold of a chair and accidentally knocks out McMahon.

Anyone remember this? It'd be a big help.

-Cheex

I forgot the reason, but didn't it lead to the SSeries 91 Team Battle?

WWF @ Ottawa, Ontario - September 9, 1991

WWF Superstars taping:

9/28/91:

Ric Flair fought Mark Thomas to a no contest when Flair stopped at the commentary table on the way to the ring, provoked Roddy Piper, and knocked Piper out with the NWA title; moments later, a groggy Piper accidentally knocked out Vince McMahon with a wooden chair; Flair then hit Piper with a chair and walked away; McMahon was soon taken backstage on a stretcher; fellow commentator, Randy Savage was unable to physically help since he was on probation (The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD)

Before Flair even showed up on TV, Piper spat on the NWA title during a Funeral Parlor with Bobby Heenan - saying that Hogan was the only world champion. Heenan took exception to that and when Flair showed up, he targeted both Piper and Hogan.

This was Flair's first appearance, right. And VKM's first bump

Let's see a timeline of when the NWA belt first appeared on WWF TV, along with Flair's first Prime Time Wrestling appearance