TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

What to do with Edge.

Edge has always been the most overrated wrestler for the last 3 years or so, he was the odd man out of the SD 5 back in 2002 and he is not main event material b/c he lacks connection with the fans just like JBL. But since he is a WWE homegrown guy he will get a world title by 2005.

Give me a freaking break. Edge is better than Chavo, who's nothing without Eddie. Talk about overrated.

Where does he mention Chavo?

Where does he mention Chavo?

Well, he claims the Edge was the odd man out of the SD6, which indicates that all the other guys were better than Edge. The SD6 were Edge, Rey, Angle, Benoit, Eddie, and Chavo. Hence, I'm saying there is no way that Chavo is better than Edge.

Ahhhh, I understand. Your talking about the tag team series in 2002.

Chavo, I think is a better worker then Edge. But Edge is much more of a star then Chavo and has much more charisma.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I dont think Edge has very much charisma at all. I think he's just a big dude who the chicks like and he's athletic enough to hold his own in the ring. Personally, I find Chavo much more entertaining as a heel than anything Edge does. I mean its hard to argue Chavo is better than Edge right now because of the difference in how the two are booked, but when Chavo gets a decent angle to work with he's money.

Obviously they have to turn Edge heel. I like the idea of having join up with Christian and that whole crew. It would allow E+C to play off one another and would likely ultimately turn them back babyface in no more than a year. At that point perhaps Edge will be accepted by the fans and can take that run at the world title.

Edge has charisma.

Go watch tapes of WWF 2001.

He must have left it in an airport by accident in earlier this year, because the shit has hit the fan in his case. Despite being a talented wrestler and having a good look, he just can't connect with the fans since his return. If they turn him heel and he still doesn't get a personality, then he's done for.

Edge needs a makeover and fast!

He should get a haircut, lose the dated long tights, and get some new entrance music. In addition he should become an all out bad-ass. Kicking ass and taking names kinda thing. Throw in a dash of cockiness and it would at least be something different.

Just my opinion.

The haircut is OK, but he should change his tights definetly. Even if they are still long, they need to be change. Thankfully he doesn't haven't that horrid Rob Zombie theme anymore and has gone back to his old theme, which, if he turns heel, he should keep.

His personality needs a complete overhaul though (as in, he should have one).

Edge has charisma.

Go watch tapes of WWF 2001.

He must have left it in an airport by accident in earlier this year, because the shit has hit the fan in his case. Despite being a talented wrestler and having a good look, he just can't connect with the fans since his return. If they turn him heel and he still doesn't get a personality, then he's done for.

I'm not arguing with that statement.

I'm also getting big time bored with Edge. But it has more to do with his "I'm a gothic rebel" gimmick, then him, himself.

The only real problem with Edge right now is that he's getting pushed to the moon with no character. The fans are just saying that a monster heel such as Batista, is still more interesting than boring generic babyface #87152.

All Edge needs to do now is join up with Christian, and make a somewhat badass Canadian faction, along with Trish and Tomko. (I don't know if Tomko's really Canadian, but the WWE doesn't seem to mind changing people's hometowns, and it would fit the story.) Edge and Christian's trademark cocky humor could still be the centerpiece of the faction, but they'd have a stronger side, in that anyone who got in their way would get con-chair-to'd or put through a table by Tomko.

Edge could keep the IC Title with the help of the group, (Canadian Mafia works if you're looking for a name), and even challenge for the World Title at the odd PPV. E&C could also reunite for tag gold, and with Trish holding the Women's Title as well, they'd be a legitimate heel presence aongside Evolution.

Guest Ray

"he is not main event material b/c he lacks connection with the fans just like JBL. "

Yeah, that explains the mega-heat Edge was getting in 2002...

Edge hasn't ever really worked especially well as a regular face type character, outside of the interest surrounding his initial debut (my friend Ian STILL wants a resolution to Edge and Gangrel, heh).

Once he became a wiseass heel w/Christian it was impossible to really go back to the brooding face character. He's obviously turning heel, but his own faction? It'd just be 2nd rate compared to Evolution.

"I DON'T LIKE YOU."

"I AM GOING TO TAKE YOU ALL DOWN."

"ONE."

"BY."

"ONE."

Billy Gunn could get me behind him more at this point. At least unlike Edge, the particular maneuver that Gunn stole from Bill Goldberg isn't used as a finisher, and he can actually deliver it decently.

"Yeah, that explains the mega-heat Edge was getting in 2002..."

A) Edge was on the TAPED Smackdown.

B) Edge was working ALONGSIDE HULK HOGAN and facing Jericho and Angle. Jericho is a natural at being the evil heel and making opponents get cheered. Angle can do the same, as well as play off his "conservative, dork" role to make Edge seem "cool".

C) Edge was teaming with Rey Mysterio, who just debuted and actually gave a damn back then, and had crowds popping big time.

D) Edge did a program with Eddie Guerrero, who the fans loved to boo.

Yeah, it's been established Edge is not a good serious, angry face. No need to bring up the point again, since no one is argueing against it.

And again, no one is saying the spear rules. Stop reiteriating points that have been brought up hundreds of times.

Guest Ray

B) Edge was working ALONGSIDE HULK HOGAN and facing Jericho and Angle. Jericho is a natural at being the evil heel and making opponents get cheered. Angle can do the same, as well as play off his "conservative, dork" role to make Edge seem "cool".

C) Edge was teaming with Rey Mysterio, who just debuted and actually gave a damn back then, and had crowds popping big time.

Talk about excuses...

Oh geez, not at all.

Before Rey even debuted, he was over. The goofy face character was loveable, and was very much over.

Taped? Explain PPVs then. Oh, never mind, they must have piped the cheers! yeah, that's it!

Do yourself a favor and stop sounding like an idiot.

Uh, those are excuses for why Edge's "monster heat" in 2002 is bullshit. Edge fucking has no connecton to the crowd and what we got before his injury was a sham. Now that's by himself on a live show, with no tag partners to carry him, you're seeing the "true" Edge's "heat".

Canadian Chick, read the entire post. His being carried to decent matches by Angle and teaming with Hogan, as well as a WM hometown pop explain his heat.

*With Hogan...

:::MONSTER Hogan pop:::

Folks, its the Immortal Icon! The Hulkster!! Hulk...HOGAN!!!!!!!

And his friend Edge!

*Once Rey came in it was...

:::Rey's music cues:::

:::monster pop for Rey ensues:::

Here comes Mysterio and his tall friend!

Months of carry jobs by Angle, Guerrero, Benoit, and friends ensued.

Edge gets hurt.

"I can't wait for Edge to come back. He really worked well as a part of the Smackdown Six and will really help out SD! or Raw."

Now he's back, he SUCKS in the ring, and they SADDLED HIM AGAIN WITH AN OVER FACE TAG TEAM PARTNER IN ****WORLD CHAMPION CHRIS BENOIT***

Are you seeing a pattern?!?!?!?!?

The obvious answer for Edge is he starts wearing facepaint and running out to shake the ring ropes, maybe pump his hands in the air and change his finisher to the the Big Splash of doom.

Or, he could get a finisher and stop running out like he's running the tire relay to make a high school football team. He's just boring and there right now, he doesn't have a gimmick other than he's Edge.

And his interviews consist of, "Wrestler A, I will kick your BUTT" and then he sneers at them like he's passing a kidney stone. Then he gets in a match with them and proceeds to beat them with a spear that when compared to the GORE of Rhyno looks like he is hugging his opponent.

Edge cannot be serious, it's not in him. He just looks incredibly stupid when he tries.

Now if they want to get him over as a face...well, just run out and beat down all the Diva search females when they are in the middle of a boring segment. That'll get him face pops galore.

Guest Staravenger

Whats with hard-ons with "bad-ass gimmicks"? This isn't Japan where if you break someones neck or something you become a God. To be a main eventer, you have to be able to carry yourself in interviews for longer than 3:00, which happend to be Chris Benoits biggest flaw.

Why stick someone like Edge, who can't be a serious anything and cut a good promo in a gimmick like that, when it's doomed to fail.

I refuse to believe Chris Benoit has any flaws! ;)

As for Edge, he needs a complete overhaul. The heel turn is coming, but what good will it do when the companies top heel (HHH obviously) will refuse to allow him to advance up the ladder. He's going to have to wait for a long time to get a crack at headlining as a heel. If there was some way of getting him back onto Smackdown, then that's the road i'd take. Other than that, an upper-card alliance with Christian/Trish (and feud with Jericho) would be the best way to keep him visible while the Orton/HHH feud is hogging the show.

"he is not main event material b/c he lacks connection with the fans just like JBL. "

Mega-Heat in 2002? Is this the same mega-heat that he had when he wrestled Eddie in a streetfight match and the crowd started chanting for Latino Heat instead of the "Mega over" Edge? How about his pathetic 2nd IC title reign? WWE has been giving Edge too many chances since day one and he hasn't done anything with them.

Even if Edge doesn't get over, he will get the belt within the next year. I am sure of it. In the WWE 2004 manual, section II, page 35, the Bradshaw clause clearly states: "If said WWE homegrown wrestler is pushed to the moon, yet still can not succesfully get popular with the WWE fans, said wrestler will be given a maximum of three more pushes until he/she finally gets over. If all attempts at pushing this wrestler fails, as in failure to draw a crowd reaction, said wrestler's brand's top title will be given to him/her despite fan reaction and/or feedback".

Mega-Heat in 2002? Is this the same mega-heat that he had when he wrestled Eddie in a streetfight match and the crowd started chanting for Latino Heat instead of the "Mega over" Edge?

The very same crowd that popped for him when he WON that match? And Eddy getting cheered for the effort that he put into the match along with Edge doesn't translate into OMFG HE'Z NOT OVA LOLZ!!!!!!.

How about his pathetic 2nd IC title reign? WWE has been giving Edge too many chances since day one and he hasn't done anything with them.

- Yeah, the reign where he wrestle Regal in a total styles clash and awful gimmick matches? And as for all these "chances", wouldn't you think it'd work if they ACTUALLY WENT SOMEWHERE WITH HIM BACK THEN? I mean, FUCK, he's had the rug pulled out from under him booking-wise ever since E&C broke up and people act like it's all his fault he's not over right now.

Hell, let me do a timeline of Edge's year in 2002 to illustrate my point:

- Year begins in the middle of the shitty Regal feud for the IC Title and he jobs it to William in yet another shitty gimmick match at No Way Out.

- Starts up a feud with Booker T over SHAMPOO up til WM when he beats Booker.

- Post-WM, he starts a feud with Angle last through Backlash and Judgment Day and the matches are underwhelming.

- After winning the Angle feud, he dicks around with Jericho for a few weeks and beats him in a cage match on SD and then teams with Hogan.

- He and Hogan win the tag belts and then job to the Un-Americans and Edge is left in limbo til the Eddy feud begins.

- Edge/Eddy lasts from SummerSlam to the SD after Unforgiven where Edge wins that feud. He's left in limbo again til the SD!6 era begins and he's thrown into a patchwork tag team with Rey where they win the belts and job them 2 weeks later(?) and never sniff them again.

- Rey's injury ends his tag run and he starts slowly participating in main events and even mains the UK PPV then against still heel Brock Lesnar(before SUrvivor Series, I should point out).

- Edge feuds with Albert as some sort of experiment and it bombs due to the fact that Albert is a crappy worker. This feud also kills his heat for a while.

- Onto 2003 and the 6-man tag which he can't participate in due to a broken neck, so the WWE does a mystery attack and he has spinal fusion surgery and is out til post-WM 20 when he spears Bischoff on RAW and is later "drafted" to RAW during the Lottery.

- His first feud back was against Kane who was already made to look like a total jobber due to PoochieTaker's return and it results in a bad match that no one cares about.

- Post-Kane, he steps up to Orton for his mocking of Foley and repeatedly jobs to him(with a stopover tag title reign with World Champion Benoit in which a possible heel turn was teased until they just seemingly made up and forgot about it) until Vengeance where he beats Orton for the IC Title.

- He and Jericho have a bit of a spat after Chris eliminates him from the battle royal on RAW to determine Benoit's opponent at SummerSlam and leads to Edge almost turning heel by jumping Jericho during the Highlight Reel only to hold back at the last instant comtemplating hitting Chris with a chair to completely signify the turn. Jericho attacks him and leaves and for the tag matches the two were involved in afterwards, the tension was rarely ever teased.

- Fast-forward to the build-up for the SummerSlam 3-way and the last RAW where Edge and Chris have a match where Batista interferes and beats down Edge while Jericho walks away, thus pissing on the storyline going and killing his momentum dead for the heel turn that never seems to happen.

- Edge wins the 3-way and just stares as Batista and Evolution(?) beatdown Jericho on RAW.

Now, with all those booking mistakes and never capitalizing on missed opprotunities, how the hell is it EDGE'S fault when the fanbase turns on him? And even more, the heel turn would work now since they are booing him, anyway. The only problem I see in this would be Hunter not wanting to give up the top heel spot if the turn works out.

HAH! Chavo's nothing without Eddie? Hmmm...you should watch some late 2000/early WCW 2001. Or some Smackdown TODAY. Chavo gets heat, is a bumping machine, has cool music, works his ASS off, and puts on good matches.

Edge, on the other hand, sucks a big fat Toronto dick, both on the mic and in the ring.

It's Edge's fault for the fanbase turning on him because he ripped off Rhyno's ECW gore, which ripped off Goldberg's mainstream "spear", and hits it with pathetic sloppyness.

It's Edge's fault for the fanbase turning on him because his mic skills have gotten even worse (if you can believe it) past the "You're a dork, Angle! Girls dump Test!" wonders of '01-'02.

It's Edge's fault because his moveset sucks and he doesn't get the crowd involved and is a terrible face.

Edge is about the worst bad ass face I've ever seen. I cannot recall somebody who's worse in that role. An Edge and Christian reunion looks likely but I'd hate for that to happen. Edge would take the spotlight away from Christian, who is better than Edge in every way and deserves some of the pushes that Edge keeps getting.

Edge is about the worst bad ass face I've ever seen. I cannot recall somebody who's worse in that role.

As bad as Edge is in that role, Angle may have been even worse during his feud with Austin. It just looked SO unnatural when he was trying to be a bad ass.

Edge has cut some good promos from time to time. There was one from when he was feuding with William Regal that comes to mind. His current fued with Jericho has a lot of potential to solidify his character development.

Unfortunately, his ringwork will still suck no matter how good the storyline is.