TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Highland

YOU

Guest Smues

Linkin' Park is a roller coaster, Linkin' Park is a roller coaster. That's catchy.

See, no one's immune. My Morning Jacket indeed.

Worst fucking band.

You're both wrong. Great fucking band.

Go listen to Allman Brothers, then.

MMJ are a million miles away from being bland retro copyists of southern rock so that statement/'advice' isn't clever or accurate i'm afraid. You know you wouldn't hate them if the singer had a NY accent.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
For what it's worth, here are my least favorite currently active bands, "indie" edition (no particular order):

My Morning Jacket

The Faint

The Thrills

Polyphonic Spree

Same idea, only metal.

Six Feet Under

Black Label Society

Metallica

Superjoint Ritual

Killswitch Engage

Somebody sell me on or against MMJ.

K.

Sole reference point: It Still Moves.

One of my least favorite vocalists at more points than not - Wayne Coyne and Thom Yorke's whine without the charm. Veering more towards the country side of alt-country. Some good instrumental bits, but altogether very little that compels me to listen on a regular basis. I had the opportunity to see them a 20-minute walk from my school for $10 and didn't.

Verdict: No major hatred, but no major love either.

See, no one's immune. My Morning Jacket indeed.

Worst fucking band.

You're both wrong. Great fucking band.

Go listen to Allman Brothers, then.

For what it's worth, here are my least favorite currently active bands, "indie" edition (no particular order):

My Morning Jacket

The Faint

The Thrills

Polyphonic Spree

Ooh, take away the Faint and replace them with the Libertines or Franz Ferdinand and that's my list exactly. ESPECIALLY the Polyphonic Spree- if someone tells me "You just don't like them because you don't like happy music" one more time, I'll scream. I don't like them because they're a bunch of feckless tossers who use this "we're a cult who wear white sheets" gimmick to cover the fact that their lead singer hasn't written a good song since he was in Tripping Daisy ten years ago!

Somebody sell me on or against MMJ.

K.

Sole reference point: It Still Moves.

One of my least favorite vocalists at more points than not - Wayne Coyne and Thom Yorke's whine without the charm. Veering more towards the country side of alt-country. Some good instrumental bits, but altogether very little that compels me to listen on a regular basis. I had the opportunity to see them a 20-minute walk from my school for $10 and didn't.

Verdict: No major hatred, but no major love either.

I'd probably have the same verdict on them if that was the only album i'd listened to and if that's the case for all you haters then I half forgive you all. Their first two albums are ten times better, At Dawn being especially good. The lead singer's voice is in a different league to somebody like Wayne Coyne, who's voice is very hit and miss and weakens his band's songs far too often. Maybe the MMJ singer's voice isn't everyboy's cup of tea (it wasn't mine either at first) but the fact is he CAN sing and he's capable of holding a note, which is more than Wayne Coyne and umpteen other indie vocalists can do.

Franz Ferdinand are good.

My Morning Jacket

The Faint

The Thrills

Polyphonic Spree

Same idea, only metal.

Six Feet Under

Black Label Society

Metallica

Superjoint Ritual

Killswitch Engage

Now children, guess which band does not belong on that list.

You forgot about Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir.

Guest Vitamin X

Once again, proving my point that music is subjective to personal opinion and not what's truly awful or not.

Six Feet Under

Black Label Society

Metallica

Superjoint Ritual

Killswitch Engage

Agreed quite strongly on the last two. BLS absolutely sucked live, too. Fucking P.O.D. put more into their stage performance than they did.

Franz Ferdinand are a mono speed filth express. Nothingness never wore such shirts. Ooooh.

I'll admit to having danced to Franz Ferdinand a couple of times at clubs, but that's the extent of my relationship with them.

Six Feet Under

Black Label Society

Metallica

Superjoint Ritual

Killswitch Engage

BLS I don't care about being on the list because they don't matter to me at all.

Metallica I'm honestly torn on because they popped my metal cherry with AJFA. But I hate them now so they can stay.

I think it's well established how I feel about SFU and Superjoint. I heard the one Killswitch album and I don't remember a damn thing about it other than chug chug growl growl so they can stay.

You forgot about Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir.

Dimmu should absolutely not be on the list simply because they have shown a huge ability to evolve and grow musically(although the evolution doesn't sit well with the BM crowd. Their early albums show strong musical awareness and their cover of Accept's Metal Heart rocks my balls.

Worst metal:

Manowar

Iced Earth

Superjoint

SFU

Hecate Enthroned (3rd rate Cradle Of Filth rip off should just die)

I don't think there are enough words in the English language availible to express my hate of Franz Ferdinand. Awful, awful bullshit rock that I have to put up with because one of my best friends pimps them constantly.

Fuck Franz Ferdinand, fuck them up their stupid ass.

Quiet, you. Fine, laid back pop-rock for a casual mood and a bit of dancing, with some wonderful intros and outros, and some delicious angular bridges. As I've said, I paid $8 for it, and that's just about the right price. Not great, but good, and miles above 'bullshit rock.'

Saying BLS and Iced Earth sucks, yet Dimmu is good?

Have you seen Dimmu live? Seems like they have never played an instrument in their life...ever.

I never said that BLS sucks. Never said that Dimmu was all that good either. But not worthy of being a worst of.

As far as Iced Earth are concerned, they make me think of almost any other power metal band I've ever heard. For such a wide genre, a lot of bands seem to be cloggin up the same area of power metal. Granted Iced Earth has mad musical chops, but they seem to sabotage all their effort by climaxing a song at the wrong time and then having nothing to follow up. not to mention the fact that (from what I've heard of their material, just so you don't get the wrong idea about this being baseless BM elitism. It's only half that) all the songs I've heard from them run like clock work. It's either chug chug to slow down to solo to slow down to chug, or it's acoustic, to booming triumph metal to acoustic niceties.

To me, that makes a band stale and completely uninteresting, no matter how soaring the riffs or technical the leads. I see them in this realm of having a great mystique and hype like Manowar, while having about the same level of songcraft. Suffice to say that neither of them will see a red cent from me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh man I forgot about Iced Earth. I'd rather pretend Manowar doesn't exist, and not waste a slot on them when Six Feet Under really shits me more. Killswitch goes back to anonymity. Iced Earth joins the ranks now.

I don't know..I was trying not to include power metal, because now I have to consider Rhapsody and Blind Guardian for the list, too. I don't want to be bothered to expand it either...

Quiet, you. Fine, laid back pop-rock for a casual mood and a bit of dancing, with some wonderful intros and outros, and some delicious angular bridges. As I've said, I paid $8 for it, and that's just about the right price. Not great, but good, and miles above 'bullshit rock.'

You're wrong.

Dimmu sucked so much ass live. Saw them at Ozzfest here in Dallas....so maybe they couldnt stand the heat or something..it still felt like a waste of 40 minutes.

Yep, keep Halford out of this...