TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. S£im Citrus

8/16 SWF Smarkdown HOLT Report

SWF Smarkdown HOLT report

August 16, 2004

Phoenix, Arizona at America West Arena

Report by Jim Crupi of Phoenix, AZ, Smartmarks.com reader

- When I first got to the arena, it looked like I’d stepped into a time warp. But, more on that later…

Dark Matches:

- Ebony beat local indie wrestler The Black Manta by submission in 5:29 with the Loving Embrace.

- Viktor Tarakanov beat local indie wrestler Jorge Gonzales (no, not that Jorge Gonzales) by disqualification in 4:04 when Syndicate ran into the ring as Tarakanov was going for the Bolshevik Revolution. The two fought all the way to the back.

- Natasha (with Chris Card) beat Jet (with Spike Jenkins) in 1:55. Chris Card tripped Jet as she was going to the ropes, allowing Natasha to hit a big legdrop, and then held her leg down from outside the ring to keep her from kicking out.

- After the Divas match, SWF Commissioner Alex Zenon came down to the ring and announced that they had been given the opportunity to have an SWF show aired in syndication. He said that they would be taping the pilot for the syndicated show here tonight (which got a huge pop), and that if the show did well in the ratings, then it would be picked up for the fall season and be broadcast weekends in syndication starting after G5. The show, he said, would be named Wrath, after the former SJL show. At least that explained why the stage looked like the old Wrath set…

Wrath taping:

- Munich pinned “The Paladin” Chance Silver in 2:36 with the C-4 Crunch. Munich came down to the ring holding a belt over his shoulder, which appeared to be made out of wood; I later learned that it was the defunct IGNJL Eastern United States Title, which Munich has apparently convinced Zenon to allow him to bring back for an angle.

- Alan Clark pinned Austin Sly in 5:17 with the Wild Bomb, after some botched interference by NTD. Afterwards, there appeared to be some friction between Sly and NTD.

- “Notorious” John Duran beat Martin “Big Country” Hunt in 6:09 with the Blunt Force Trauma. Afterwards, he got on the microphone, talking about how he’s a former World Heavyweight Champion, and that it’s BS that he’s been reduced to wrestling on this second-rate show (boos) while rookies like Birdman got title shots. He said something about wanting to get his hands on Birdman and initiating him properly into the SWF with a little Blunt Force Trauma.

- There was a sweet video vignette on the SmarkTron which hinted at the possible return of Perfect Bo. That got a pretty good reaction from the old-school fans.

- “The Icon” Max King (with Kelly Connelly) beat Petey the Irish Penguin at 8:46 with the King Buster.

- Revolution Zero (SWF World Heavyweight Champion Toxxic & Spike Jenkins w/Jet) beat Déjà Vu in 11:21 when Toxxic beat Kross with the Caffeine Bomb.

A very solid show, overall. It looked like they really went all-out for the return of Wrath.

Smarkdown:

- It was nice to see Ryan Dustin back in the ring for a change. The word going around the IWC is that Zed gave him an ultimatum to get clean or get out. It’d be a shame if he got fired, because the guy has a ton of potential.

- After beating Okimurra, Drazon made his way towards Frisco, demanding that he pay up on his $5000 challenge, but Lobo snuck up behind him, attacking him long enough for Frisco and Okimurra to escape to the back. Lobo ended up taking one for the team, though, as Drazon got him on his back and trapped him in the Hiza juji-gatame until the refs came down to break it up.

- I’m a mark for Everheart, so I was happy to see him win some gold in the WF, but I couldn’t help but feel bad for Manson; he’d probably still be the champion if it weren’t for Max King.

- Nice to see Johnny get back on track, especially with a win over the likes of Dace F’N Night! I only hope that this loss doesn’t set Dace back too much.

- After the Submissions match, the Countdown to Genesis giveaway was hosted by (SWF Legend). I won an autographed picture of Alison Onita, but some guy down at ringside won the grand prize.

Biggest Pops

1) Johnny Dangerous

2) “Grand Slam” Mark Stevens

3) Dace Night

4) Vladimir Everheart

5) Team Flip Flop

Most Heat

1) Revolution Zero

2) Mike Van Siclen

3) Landon Maddix

4) Tom Flesher

5) Max King

- After the Submissions match, the Countdown to Genesis giveaway was hosted by (SWF Legend).

Good to see NTD pulling double duty, and even better to see me beating jobbers :) But we need to step up Jet's training if she's losing to Natasha, even with Card's help...

Guest Beingz0wningj00

I figured Lobo wasn't in the match due to the promo, and that $5000 I guess I didn't know about...

So cool details... (Y)

*JD short 25 pounds to seek a set of Gold*

And as far as that "SWF Legend" gaff is concerned, I meant to look up whatever retiree was supposed to live closest to Phoenix, and put his name there, but I forgot. So, uhm, use your imagination or something.

- Dub "for the record, I think it's Falllout, but I'm not sure" Cee

And as far as that "SWF Legend" gaff is concerned, I meant to look up whatever retiree was supposed to live closest to Phoenix, and put his name there, but I forgot. So, uhm, use your imagination or something.

- Dub "for the record, I think it's Falllout, but I'm not sure" Cee

SPARK!!!

Guest Beingz0wningj00

Fallout was also from Phoenix... plus all of his moves were heat based names...