TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DangerousDamon

VU games to make "Scarface" game...

VU Games is over twenty years late but gamers everywhere will soon be saying “Hello” to a new “little friend.”

VU Games has tapped the development power of Radical Games, who previously developed The Simpsons: Hit & Run and The Hulk for VU Games, to create this third person action game. Ironically, I just watched Scarface for the first time last night, thanks to the recently re-issued DVD.

For those who haven’t watched the movie, Scarface stars Al Pacino as Tony Montana. The movie follows Tony from being a recently-arrived Cuban immigrant to his gradual involvement in the Miami drug world. As Tony becomes more involved, he eventually becomes too big for his old boss. This leads to said boss’ execution and Tony stealing his lady. Afterwards, Tony’s empire begins to grow immensely but after being crossed by a friend, loses everything including his life.

With the exception of the dying bit, the plot is basically what happened in Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Of course, a dead protagonist wouldn’t be very effective so Radical Games is making their version of Scarface take place after the film… if Tony Montana didn’t die. In Scarface the game, you’ll need to rebuild your once-mighty empire.

As in the movie, selling drugs will be a major part of the game. You can use your drug money to buy more guns or drugs, but you’ll need a friend at a bank to wash it for you before you can buy the good things in life: a mansion, exotic cars, boats and even a tiger. Unfortunately, selling drugs isn’t all that easy since it is possible to unknowingly sell drugs to a police officer, who may take a bribe, but you can also sell it to a federal agent who won’t let you get away as long as he is alive.

While wandering around Miami, Florida Keys, the Bahamas and various other locales, Tony will be able to interact with the pedestrians. There are two dialogue buttons, one for friendly sayings and the other to tell someone to f*** off. Incidentally, the guys at Radical Games have already made the less friendly dialogue button active while the other is pending development. But while Tony can mouth off at pedestrians, killing them for no reason (a la Grand Theft Auto) is a big no-no. If you happen to be in a shoot out, they can get shot, but you simply can’t go up to them and shoot them. Senior producer of the project, Peter Wanat, even went as far as calling those games (that allow you to kill people for no reason) “sh**ty.”

And while the majority of the game will be third-person shooting but there will also be vehicles to drive in the missions. One early mission shows Tony riding a speedboat and later an airplane.

We’ll have to wait until Fall 2005 to actually see Scarface in stores for unannounced platforms (although PlayStation 2 and Xbox are the currently likely candidates). For more information on the game, including tons of screenshots, quotes from the developers and nifty sidebars (one covers the movie’s most memorable moments while another shows concept versions of Scarface the game if they would have been released in 1983, 1989 or 1997), be sure to pick up the October issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly.

For screenshots, visit 1Up.com

Credit:www.pgnx.net, Gamefaqs.com

Holy shit, I'll buy this one if it comes out for PS2. I loved the movie, and this will be great. This will be a must buy for any fan of the movie. I just don't hope that they don't use rap in it though.

Guest Staravenger

This has failure written all over it. Why not just make a Heaven and Tony Montana becomes a drug lord there? It would be a lot more entertaining.

In one of my latest magazines (EGM maybe?) they talk a lot about it, and it is even on the cover of the magazine. The screen shots don't look that bad, but it'll take a lot of work to get it to do what they say they want it to do.

If I had to just go out on the line and make a prediction, I'd say it'll suck ass and piss off just about everyone. If it's not don't just right, as well as be very fun to play, then it'll bomb.

"VU Games has tapped the development power of Radical Games, who previously developed The Simpsons: Hit & Run and The Hulk for VU Games, to create this third person action game."

Hit and Run was unimaginative and mediocre. Hulk sucked from what I played of it.

Not promising, I don't think.

Not for nothing, but how are you gonna have a ScarFace game without Tony sniffing yayo every few minutes, or "fuck" "motherfucker" "Piece of shit" "conyo" being said every scene.

WIth that being said, its my favorite movie of all time and if the game was in stickfigure characters i'd still buy it.

Edit: Eh, I just saw the first 2 screenshots. Can someone explain to me when Tony was ever in a speedboat shooting at other boats, or even when Tony was on the beach shooting bazookas at boats?

Guest Staravenger

He never did any of that crap, which already throws reality out of the window. The worse he did in the film was obviously the finale when he gunned down like 20 guys before the numbers game caught up with him, and took a shotgun to the back.

If I spoiled that, it doesn't matter. The movie is over 20 years old and doesn't need spoiler tags I don't think.

If I spoiled that, it doesn't matter. The movie is over 20 years old and doesn't need spoiler tags I don't think.

Off Topic: I think spoiler tags are useless anyway, if you're reading a post about a movie, EXPECT SPOILERS!

On Topic: After playing Vice City (overrated, IMO), I have no use for any other game of this genre with the exception of at least sampling San Andreas...

Guest Staravenger

I only continue to play Vice City for the soundtrack. No way in hell I'm shelling out $15 for every CD they released for the game.