TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

The One and Only JLU Season 1 Thread

Guest JMA

I figured it would be good to start one of these threads for the show.

So far, I've loved this season. Last night's episode featuring Hawk and Dove was just fantastic. I'm glad to see many of the old Charlton Comics heroes (Captain Atom, Hawk and Dove, and The Question) are being used so much this season.

My favorite episode so far would have to be "For the Man Who Has Everything." The original story was awesome and so was the animated adaptation.

I guess the old thread is dead. Ah well.

Last week's, and FTMWHE were odd, since they could have easily and more sensibly been regular JL episodes. It seemed unusual that in last weeks ep the other JLU members didn't seem to know or care what was going on down on earth. Sure, maybe they couldn't have done much, but still...

Still, it was a cute ep but had some good serious bits to it. All of the characters seemed to not only just get younger, but to act just like they would have as kids, except for Batman. WW seemed to get a maternal streak in her that you didn't normally see--probably from caring for her "sisters" at the time. Superman seemed like the dopey bumpkin Clark. Stewart was hilarious as a geeky spaznoid, and nice tribute there with the "glasses" he wore. Bats was basically exactly the same. While it was goofy at times for sure, the ending was much more dark and caught you off guard.

Hawk and Dove was of course much more like the first episode--introducing the other heroes, using them to try to intercede and calm a human conflict where they were completely unwelcome. Some obvious political messages were woven in there, but not overbearing, preachy, or favoring one side completely. Very well done, and it's nice to see that the episodes are going to have a good bit of variety to them rather than using the same formula every episode. The original League members are still going to be the real stars though, apparently.

Oh--and Wonder Woman has the invisible jet now! However, she can still fly, so basically it appears she only needs it for traveling more quickly or if she needs to transport other League members. She doesn't have super-speed like Supes, after all.

Shame they spoiled it in all the teasers, but it's about time somebody mocked that stupid criminal tendency to fire all the bullets at a superhero, THEN try to throw the gun at him/her.

While I loved the first three episodes, I thought last night's episode was weak. It was the first episode that was really hurt by only being 30 minutes. Not enough time to get know Hawk and Dove and the episode felt crammed.

Guest JMA
Next episode is Batman and Zatanna teaming up to "Save a team-member from a fate worse than death"

I'm very interested in seeing how they'll explain Zatanna's powers. BTW, will the same person who voiced Zatanna in "Batman: The Animated Series" be reprising her role or will someone else be doing her voice?

Guest CronoT
Next episode is Batman and Zatanna teaming up to "Save a team-member from a fate worse than death"

I'm very interested in seeing how they'll explain Zatanna's powers. BTW, will the same person who voiced Zatanna in "Batman: The Animated Series" be reprising her role or will someone else be doing her voice?

Zatanna's "powers" are like Batman's. She has a surperior knowledge of and skill in her trade/craft, which is magician's tricks, illusions, misdirection, and other similar things.

Houdini seemed to be superhuman, but all he really had was a superior knowledge of his craft.

Guest JMA
Zatanna's "powers" are like Batman's. She has a surperior knowledge of and skill in her trade/craft, which is magician's tricks, illusions, misdirection, and other similar things.

Yeah, I already know all that. But are they going to give her the powers she has in the comics? And, if so, how will they explain them? That's what I was wondering about.

Guest JMA

Comics Continuum is reporting that Amy Acker (Fred on "Angel") will be doing the voice of Huntress on JLU. Speaking as a huge fan of "Angel," this is great news.

Guest Razamatazathoth

Ah, Justice League Unlimited. There's some show we can all enjoy. To think I was hesitant getting into it at first--and now here I am waist-deep in superheroics and adoring every macrosecond of it.

The new JLU is pretty kickass. I do miss the 60-minute format... but on the other hand, it means fewer second-part-of-a-two-part-show reruns.

Current favorite ep: "For the Man Who Has Everything." Of the former season/series, it's the one where they're in the illusion with the golden-age superhero comics... I forget what it's called, but it kicked some serious ass.

They need to announce the JL box set--we've got two seasons of the old series out already, right? Come on and make with it instead of Super Friends. ;)

Comics Continuum is reporting that Amy Acker (Fred on "Angel") will be doing the voice of Huntress on JLU. Speaking as a huge fan of "Angel," this is great news.

Hmm, I wonder...

How will they explain the Huntress in JLU continuity?

Being someone that doesn't read the comics, the only version I know of was from the short-lived Bird of Prey series, where she was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

Hmm, I wonder...

How will they explain the Huntress in JLU continuity?

Being someone that doesn't read the comics, the only version I know of was from the short-lived Bird of Prey series, where she was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

That was the Pre-Crisis Huntress. Here is the info on the new Huntress

Base of Operations: Gotham City

Marital Status: Single

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 130

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Black

First Appearance: THE HUNTRESS #1 (April, 1989)

At present, Oracle does not know Helena Bertinelli personally. She is, however, an acquaintance of the Huntress. And perhaps it is only a matter of time before Barbara Gordon figures out that her occasional ally is actually the sole surviving member of a mob family murdered by rival factions of the city's Mafioso.

In her youth, La Cosa Nostra robbed Helena of her parents and brother, forcing her to seek refuge among Sicilian relations. Trained to fight by her cousin, Helena later returned to Gotham, determined to hunt down the men who ordered and carried out her family's destruction. Her retribution involved dismantling the organization to which she was once bound by blood.

As the Huntress, Helena armed herself with crossbow and knife, stalking Gotham's organized crime figures with a violent intent. The city's Dark Knight defender, Batman, has tried time and again to temper her methods, even nominating her for membership in the Justice League of America, though he later had her membership revoked. But, through it all, the Huntress has remained unwilling to compromise her convictions.

Most recently, Helena found herself a pawn of Checkmate, an ultra-secret law-enforcement agency which offered the Huntress its "Queen" position in exchange for information on the Dark Knight. With Batman's help, Helena accepted Checkmate's offer without betraying him. There is little doubt that the Huntress plans to extricate herself from Checkmate's control.

Time will tell if Oracle has the means, or the desire, to make the Huntress another of her trusted Birds of Prey.

"Does it get better than this?" Well, yeah - they make this an hour-long program, like it's supposed to be.

Guest JMA
"Does it get better than this?" Well, yeah - they make this an hour-long program, like it's supposed to be.

I stand corrected.

After this weeks Zatanna episode here is the schedule for the next three episodes.

Saturday, Sept. 4: "Fearful Symmetry" -- Supergirl discovers that a series of nightmares she's having about being an assassin may be far more than just a bad dream.

Saturday, Sept. 11: "The Greatest Story Never Told" -- The Justice League is in epic battle with Mordru in downtown Metropolis, but the real story is what happens to Booster Gold while he's supposed to be on "crowd control."

Saturday, Sept. 18: "The Return" -- Nearly two dozen heroes join forces to prevent an all-powerful Android from reaching his goal, the recently reformed Lex Luthor.

Saturday, Sept. 18: "The Return" -- Nearly two dozen heroes join forces to prevent an all-powerful Android from reaching his goal, the recently reformed Lex Luthor.

Good, I was wondering when Amazo would be back. Who the hell is Booster Gold though?

Saturday, Sept. 11: "The Greatest Story Never Told" -- The Justice League is in epic battle with Mordru in downtown Metropolis, but the real story is what happens to Booster Gold while he's supposed to be on "crowd control."

so it's gonna be a JLU version of The Zeppo?

Heh, I hope he's as much of a prick as that makes him out to be. They need an asshole not named The Flash for once.

Can somebody tell me a good site for bios/pics of DC and Marvel characters?

Well this week's episode is going to be interesting.

I put a spoiler tag for those that want to be surprised by the genre of this particular episode

This Little Piggy," this Saturday's episode of Justice League Unlimited, features a musical number with Batman.

Really.

"Since 1991, when we first started making Batman, we always joked about making Batman: The Musical because Kevin Conroy, who voices Batman, is a fine singer," explained Justice League voice director Andrea Romano. "In this episode, Batman is forced to do something humiliating in order for a spell to be reversed. And what he is forced to do is sing a song, and he sings it wonderfully."

Rachel York, who plays Circe in "This Little Piggy," also gets to sing in the episode.

"You just don¹t get to do many musical numbers in Justice League, so that's really, really fun," Romano said.

Lorraine Newman, an original cast member of Saturday Night Live, guest-stars as both Justice and Medusa.

Guest JMA

I wonder if they'll acknowledge Supes' death at the hands of Doomsday, since that is a major event in Booster's history.

Doomsday never killed Superman in the animated continuity, though. And seeing as how Doomsday is now lobotomized and an animated "Death of Superman" storyline was already used, I doubt the "Death/Reign/Return" saga will ever be used.

I also wonder why Supergirl is fighting Power Girl in one of the JLU previews.

This episode is hilarious.

And Batman proves he's D.C.'s #1 ladies man. Zatana, Wonder Woman - he gets ALL the best tail.

Guest JMA

I'm glad they gave Zatanna her powers in this episode. I expected that they would -- they even worked in the backwards speak.