TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Astonishing X-Men #4...DAAAYUMMM!

Spoiler!!!!

I was completey shocked to see Colossus return..and kick ass to boot!

I love it. I'm intruiged more than ever now.

Thoughts?

Guest Salacious Crumb

Just when you thought someone was actually going to stay dead.

Silly me for believing the whole this time they stay dead lines from a few years ago.

Just when you thought someone was actually going to stay dead.

Silly me for believing the whole this time they stay dead lines from a few years ago.

That was the Quemas era. The Quckley era seems to allow their "name" creators (Bendis, Whedon et al) to do what they want. If they want to resurrect Jack of Hearts and kill him again for no real reason, then by golly they can. If they want to go back to the uniform era and wipe out the Magneto/Xorn crap, then no prob.

This is not to say that Whedon will write a crap story (I can't exactly judge until I see) but the whole thing seems like a bad idea in my book.

A character coming back from the dead in X-men? Get out of town! All we need now is for Magneto to catch an std and no sell aids and castration.

A character coming back from the dead in X-men? Get out of town! All we need now is for Magneto to catch an std and no sell aids and castration.

I know you're just kidding, but they've already no-sold AIDS - mutants are immune to it.

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, Peter's death was truly a special moment and extremely well done and significant. One the other, Colossus is a widely loved character that a lot of people miss (you just had to hear the "ooohs" and "aaahs" when he briefly appeared on X2), and Joss Whedon's been doing a terrific job so far, so I'm not sure. I've yet to pick up the comic but I hope at the very least his comeback is done well.

I know you're just kidding, but they've already no-sold AIDS - mutants are immune to it.

I see...

What if the legacy virus combined with aids to make super aids?

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, Peter's death was truly a special moment and extremely well done and significant. One the other, Colossus is a widely loved character that a lot of people miss (you just had to hear the "ooohs" and "aaahs" when he briefly appeared on X2), and Joss Whedon's been doing a terrific job so far, so I'm not sure. I've yet to pick up the comic but I hope at the very least his comeback is done well.

Well, it is, but basically it amounts to a cameo. I still wish they hadn't brought him back though.

Fuck Whedon. Stick to making shitty sci-fi space operas that are vastly overrated by the geek fandom.

There goes the last hope that at least one of the regular continuity X-books would be decent.

I thought the whole "bitching about people coming back from the dead" stuff was over. Isn't it kind of to be expected nowadays anyway? I'm just hoping it can be explained decently.

Anyhoo, I didn't see it coming, and I liked it.

I think it's pretty cool. The resurrection seems to tie in directly to what's going on with Benetech, so there's a lot of good to be seen here. A shitstorm of people jumped on Whedon for the "Jean?" thing at the end of #3, and that turned out to not be as clear as it might have seemed at all. I give him the same leeway here, and hope he pulls it off.

Ord remains boring as all get-out, though.

Guest Salacious Crumb
I thought the whole "bitching about people coming back from the dead" stuff was over. Isn't it kind of to be expected nowadays anyway? I'm just hoping it can be explained decently.

Anyhoo, I didn't see it coming, and I liked it.

No, because Marvel had a "this time it's for goof" policy on deaths and had been doing a good job of it on the X-books until Morrison like an idiot brough Magneto back and opened the pandora's box.

Fuck Whedon. Stick to making shitty sci-fi space operas that are vastly overrated by the geek fandom.

There goes the last hope that at least one of the regular continuity X-books would be decent.

Hey, whaddaya know - someone else on this board doesn't like Firefly. Glad I'm not the only one.

Whedon's only doing two arcs, so don't worry too much about his run. Unless you're a big fan of Beast, who I'm thinking isn't gonna last the whole 12 issues. No real proof here - it's a gut feeling based on the covers and what McCoy's been up to in the books

No, because Marvel had a "this time it's for goof" policy on deaths and had been doing a good job of it on the X-books until Morrison like an idiot brough Magneto back and opened the pandora's box.

At least Morrison had the decency to kill him off again. But THAT lasted all of maybe six months, right? THANK YOU, Marvel, for giving Claremont free reign to muck things up. AGAIN.

Hey, whaddaya know - someone else on this board doesn't like Firefly. Glad I'm not the only one.

I think we're a rare breed here.

Unless you're a big fan of Beast, who I'm thinking isn't gonna last the whole 12 issues. No real proof here - it's a gut feeling based on the covers and what McCoy's been up to in the books

I haven't read issue 4, so I don't know if it was revealed that the "mutant cure" was real or not. If it is, and they DO "get rid" of Beast, I kind of hope it's by...."de-mutanizing" him rather than outright killing him. Someone on this godforsaken team deserves a somewhat happy ending. Plus it would open up an interesting can of worms, what with an X-Man deciding he doesn't want to even be a mutant any longer.....

Guest AllCanadian

They kind of gave away the suprise when I opened the box of comics and the retailer incentive cover has the big man front and centre on it.

Guest theanswer1824

as much as i'm a fan of peter rasputin, he shoulda stayed dead. the whole thing about him turning sides against the x-men was cool, imo. they basically shitted on that arc.

but yeah, no one ever stays dead. everyone always gets resurected.

What I don't understand is this: After Peter "died" in UX #390, his body was cremated. I remember this because in X-men #110, Kitty traveled to UD Collective, the russian region where Peter grew up. There, she released his ashes.

How will they explain that? :huh:

What I don't understand is this: After Peter "died" in UX #390, his body was cremated. I remember this because in X-men #110, Kitty traveled to UD Collective, the russian region where Peter grew up. There, she released his ashes.

How will they explain that? :huh:

Well there was an issue of Weapon X were Sinister was looking for some of Peter's DNA so he could make a clone of him for whatever reason. So, maybe that's how he came back.

I think it's pretty likely that this isn't the original Peter Rasputin who killed himself while the rest of the team played basketball. His memories, maybe, but body? Probably not.

My local retailer had the incentive Colossus cover on display beside the cash register.

It was totally a WTF moment, as I began frantically searching the pages of the regular covered version I held in my hand.

While I was happy with the story where Colossus died several years ago, it was so out-of-the-blue that I couldn't beleive he'd stay dead for long.

Reintroducing him into a book where Kitty Pryde is one of the stars was definitely the right move, given the two's history together. Given the invisible creative borders the Marvel editorial community puts between the different X-books, this may be the only way these two could interact.

Its okay to not like Firefly, so long as you don't bash others for liking it.

**cough**Vyce**cough**

Its okay to not like Firefly, so long as you don't bash others for liking it.

**cough**Vyce**cough**

Nah, I wouldn't do that. I prefer to bash the show...