TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

Blatant Stealing from the WWE Folder

Guest Coffey
That reminds me! TNA should try getting DDP in. Sure he's old and probably gonna retire again, but he has some name value.

I actually thought that he could've helped out Randy Orton immensely when Orton started using his Diamond Cutter variation (RKO) as a finisher.

Think about it. The only thing DDP really had going for him was how over his finisher was. At least in WCW. If the WWE really shine in any department, it's their video department. They could've easily came up with a tape reminding everyone of how big a deal his finisher was/is.

Then he could've became Randy's manager/mentor. He could've showed him the ropes. Showed him the Diamond Cutter. Show him in vignettes showing Orton how to hit it out of nowhere.

Then, after the training and whatnot...Orton turns on Page. Hits him with the RKO. Add another name to the list of legends that have been killed...except Orton would've got something out of it this time...unlike when he randomly RKO's people like Mark Cuban, The Fabulous Moolah & Sgt. Slaughter.

Oh well. TNAW could do something like that. Bring in DDP and have him show someone the ways of the Diamond Cutter.

statement: tna should make ron killings there no.1 guy.

True. He has the look, charisma, and good enough ring ability to be the number one man.

Guest Donners
Ha! Hogan never owned a company to put himself over everyone...he just took advantage of whoever was in charge. At least Hogan jobbed by CO/DQ occasionally. Jarrett's Singles record is like 98-1.

25-11 on PPVs with 3 no-contests, actually - and most of those wins came on his first title reign and/or against poor opponents (Duggan, Konnan, El Leon, etc). IIRC Monte Brown has a better winning percentage than that.

Guest Staravenger
Ha! Hogan never owned a company to put himself over everyone...he just took advantage of whoever was in charge. At least Hogan jobbed by CO/DQ occasionally. Jarrett's Singles record is like 98-1.

25-11 on PPVs with 3 no-contests, actually - and most of those wins came on his first title reign and/or against poor opponents (Duggan, Konnan, El Leon, etc). IIRC Monte Brown has a better winning percentage than that.

You actually counted? Anyone remember Jarrett's classic gauntlet match versus Rick Steiner & Jim Duggan? TNA should bring them back as Capt. Hogans Captain Crew!

Guest Donners

Indeed. Styles has also main evented more PPVs than Jarrett, as I recall.

As for "putting himself over everyone", many of those wins were cheap wins through interference/guitars, rather than having him win as the "better wrestler". It's not like, say, a 10-second gap between a finisher and a pin which is designed to make the other guy look bad. The days of SuperJarrett, taking out groups of heels at a time during his relatively brief face run, would be the only time that statement could ring true.

Guest Donners
You actually counted?

I actually keep TNA stats. They come in handy when people start making generalisations about particular people's winning records, ask how many singles matches somebody has had and so forth.

Indeed. Styles has also main evented more PPVs than Jarrett, as I recall.

Yet whose were more "important" to TNA: Jarrett's or Styles'?

As for "putting himself over everyone", many of those wins were cheap wins through interference/guitars, rather than having him win as the "better wrestler". It's not like, say, a 10-second gap between a finisher and a pin which is designed to make the other guy look bad. The days of SuperJarrett, taking out groups of heels at a time during his relatively brief face run, would be the only time that statement could ring true.

He was made the focus of the show during both of AJ's title reigns, and completely made Raven look like shit by kicking out of his finisher three times, and kicking out of the Extreme Revolution's interference (which even Hogan would have jobbed to). How does he NOT put himself over everybody? Name me one feud that he has been in where he did not come out looking superior in every way to his opponent.

Guest Donners

He wasn't even around for the entirety of AJ's second title reign, as I recall. He most certainly didn't wrestle, and I'm pretty sure he didn't even appear on several shows, while AJ defended his belt in four straight main events. That's most certainly not making Jarrett the "focus" over AJ.

The whole time was based around Jarrett wanting to come back for the title.

Just face it, man: you're never going to convince us that Jarrett isn't a self-serving fuckass in TNA, because trying to do otherwise would be trying to convince us that the sky is tyedye.

Guest Donners

You offered your take, I offered mine. I had no intention of changing your mind, because a) I know I can't and b) It doesn't really bother me. I just try to offer a different perspective.

Same way you aren't going to convince me that TNA is crap, yet it doesn't stop you from complaining about it every chance you get.

He wasn't even around for the entirety of AJ's second title reign, as I recall. He most certainly didn't wrestle, and I'm pretty sure he didn't even appear on several shows, while AJ defended his belt in four straight main events. That's most certainly not making Jarrett the "focus" over AJ.

And that was the only real time TNA's main event was actually GOOD. There was a great champion, great challengers, great matches, and the title actually seemed important.

And all that happened while Jarrett was away. Not a coincidence.

Guest Donners

Not really. Even when he held the belt, there were many good main events not involving him. The Abyss vs. Styles series, the original Ultimate X match, Triple X vs. AJ & D'Lo, Red vs. Lynn, Raven vs. Styles, Lynn vs. Styles vs. Kash, Lynn vs. Styles, Red vs. Styles, Dusty Rhodes & Vader vs. the Harris Brothers...

Well...maybe not that last one. But the point is that the main event picture doesn't necessarily stop at the champion.

Not really. Even when he held the belt, there were many good main events not involving him. The Abyss vs. Styles series, the original Ultimate X match, Triple X vs. AJ & D'Lo, Red vs. Lynn, Raven vs. Styles, Lynn vs. Styles vs. Kash, Lynn vs. Styles, Red vs. Styles, Dusty Rhodes & Vader vs. the Harris Brothers...

Well...maybe not that last one. But the point is that the main event picture doesn't necessarily stop at the champion.

But in TNA, it has. What has TNA built their main events around: the match, or "who will face Jeff Jarrett?" They always place an unover, uninteresting worker with average mic skills and average wrestling abilities who has a tendency to bury people to make himself look better by comparison in the main event, and that's inexcusable.

Guest MikeSC

Statement: TNA has the worst of NOT televising the strongest matches at TV tapings.

-=Mike

Guest Donners

I think you're missing the point of the whole rebuttal concept...

Rebuttal: At the moment, they seem to be used to: a) Hype the live crowd and b) To try out new combinations of wrestlers.

Once Impact is the main show, and we only have a week to wait, I think it's safe to say those sort of matches will be getting most of the airtime.

Those were all good matches/fueds. But notice that none of them involves TNA's so-called franchise player. While they were putting on good matches and attempting to work decent fueds, Jarrett was running the World Title into the ground in sorry-ass storylines and matches.

Its just more evidence that JJ shouldn't be on the shows if he can't pull his fucking weight. If TNA wants to be taken seriously, then isn't it stupid for their World Champion--the guy who's carrying the company--to be the weakest link?

Rebuttal:

The Tag division is AMW, XXX, and The Naturals. How are three teams, with only one of them hyped as anything special (AMW), composing the best Tag division in all of wrestling?

Rebuttal: Team Canada, 3LK, Shane/Kazarian, Kash/Dallas (if they go back to the division)... That's alot deeper than anything on WWE.

Rebuttal:

Those are tag teams, not part of the Tag division. When you say "Tag division," it implies that the teams are gunning for the Tag Team titles. Team Canada, 3LK, Kash/Dallas, and KazariShane haven't been near the Tag title scene in some time. It also does not aid in your actions, as WWE has just as many tag teams as TNA.

WWE Tag Teams:

Kidman/London

Dudley Boyz

Noble/Chavo

FBI

La Resistance

Rhyno/Tajiri

Batista/Flair (the most common teaming of Evolution, thus it counts)

Haas/Rico (although Rico is injured, so counting them is only a formality)

Basham Brothers

9 WWE tag teams.

TNA:

AMW

XXX

Naturals

3LK

Team Canada

Shane/Kazarian

Kash/Dallas

7 TNA tag teams. Only 3 are currently anywhere near the tag belts. All of the WWE tag teams (aside from Bashams and Haas/Rico) challenge for the belts on their respective brands consistently.

Statement: If TNA signed Nate Webb and let him do his full "Teenage Dirtbag" entrance at each show, he'd get over huge as a cult favorite among TNA fans.

Statement: TNA will make it to Victory Road 2005.

Rebuttal:

Depends. Nobody's really too over in TNA, and that's because Jarrett and Dutch don't book anybody but JJ as anything special, and the fans don't want to even watch JJ anymore. So they'd never even let him do his full entrance, and they'd give him a generic theme as well (as I'm assuming you mean the "Teenage Dirtbag" song by Wheatus).

Rebuttal:

Only if they realize that the current plan has not been working for a year, as live attendance has dwindled, live reaction has plummeted, and positive internet review (and yes, TNA's core fanbase IS the 'net, because nobody else knows who the fuck they are) has come to an all-time low to any "big" promotion not named WCW.

Statement:

If the shows were booked with a more "Sports Entertainment" style, although writers were hired to make sure the angles made sense, then TNA would be more popular than it is now.

Rebuttal: I actually agree with you to an extent, since TNA was more popular back when Russo was booking, I believe. Ever since Raven lost to Jarrett the buyrates have dwindled, I believe. But would a more sports-entertainment style make TNA that much more popular? I don't think their style would catch many new viewers with the current timeslot they have. The biggest thing they can do now is get primetime, and move from there.

Guest Donners
Statement: If TNA signed Nate Webb and let him do his full "Teenage Dirtbag" entrance at each show, he'd get over huge as a cult favorite among TNA fans.

Rebuttal: TNA already has two cult-favourite comedy characters in D-Ray and Shark Boy, with Spanky on the way. Add a fourth, and you may as well call them The Oddities. Well, at least these guys could wrestle, but the point is that you can really only have a few of those type of wrestlers to use them effectively.

Statement: TNA will make it to Victory Road 2005.

I really hope they do. It depends on what Ted Turner decides to do, who WWE release and sign, who TNA release and sign, injuries, wrestlers, the market in general... It would require a bit of luck, and may be less than likely. But again, I seriously hope they do make it.

Guest Heppyhack
Statement: At their present situation --- there is nobody too risky to take a chance on as World Champ.

Rebuttal: Shark Boy and D-Ray

But otherwise, I'd have to agree with you. AJ's first title win was a surprise, and even if they pissed away the opportunities they had with it, it was still a shocking and original idea. And if they'd put the title on Raven when they had the chance they might just have disproved Flair's comment that he (Raven) couldn't draw tuppence.

Statement: With the end of the weekly PPVs, TNA should hit the reset button and use their TV deals to effectively start again (not necessarily ignoring the last two years, but using the build-up to Victory Road as a fresh begining), letting them rebuild the more over midcarders as potential future main eventers or champions.

Guest Heppyhack
Statement:

If the shows were booked with a more "Sports Entertainment" style, although writers were hired to make sure the angles made sense, then TNA would be more popular than it is now.

Rebuttal: They should go the other route, and go all out to try and make it seem a legitimate sporting contest - albeit one with storylines tied in. They're on a major sports broadcaster, and utilise a sports show style presentation. They've got a lot of athletic, talented young performers and something unique in X Division. They've got something relatively unseen in western wrestling in the hexagonal ring. Introduce some kind of league table format for the #1 contenderships, and go the opposite route to the WWE.

Statement: Mike Tenay and Don West are the best wrestling commentary team in the western world at the moment.

Guest MikeSC
Statement:

Rebuttal: They should go the other route, and go all out to try and make it seem a legitimate sporting contest - albeit one with storylines tied in. They're on a major sports broadcaster, and utilise a sports show style presentation. They've got a lot of athletic, talented young performers and something unique in X Division. They've got something relatively unseen in western wrestling in the hexagonal ring. Introduce some kind of league table format for the #1 contenderships, and go the opposite route to the WWE.

Statement: Mike Tenay and Don West are the best wrestling commentary team in the western world at the moment.

Honestly, Cole and Tazz are a bit better.Matthews and Tazz are better. Don West has gone from amusing to grating in short order. And, I'll say it --- Josh Matthews owns Tenay at this point.

-=Mike