TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nogoodnick

Hero

I absolutely loved this movie. It may have been the most beautiful movie I've ever seen in terms of cinematography. Every scene was just gorgeous. I loved the plot, too, even though it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I like moral ambiguity. It's nice to not have a typical black and white goodguy and badguy. The ending was great too, which is rare for this kind of movie. I loved CTHD also, but the ending there was entirely too abstract, to the point of being rather silly.

I'd recommend seeing it in theaters just because you'll lose some of the epic feeling if you wait for the DVD. I don't think it would have been as impressive on a small screen.

Are you shitting me?

The ending of CTHD was too abstract to the point of being silly?

Let's take it from the top here, ok? I'm going slow so you can follow along.

1) Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat) realizes that the Governers daughter is working with Jade Fox from within the household and they're trying to steal the Green Destiny Sword.

2) Li Mu Bai and Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) track Jade Fox and the daughter to Jade Fox's hideout.

3) Li Mu Bai engages in battle with the woman who killed his master. He defeats her easily but she is still able to land one simple, fatal blow.

4) Li Mu Bai fulfills his destiny and passes on to be with his master.

Yeah, smell the abstract.

Crouching Tiger smoked Hero in every single aspect of film.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

Hey Jackass post picker who goes real slow. I'm more then likely willing to bet he wasn't refering to that part of the plot(You know, compared to the fighting, and the diving off the mountain)... but it's good to see you can spell it out for us.

To say Crouching Tiger smoked it in every way is entirely opinionated, and a rather retarded one at that. But hey... at least you understood the Crouching Tiger ending, maybe you can enlighten us with Hero while you're at it. Oh wait, it got smoked...

As someone who wanted some Jet Li action, I was disappointed. With the film however, looking at it from the right sense, had some very good internal messages combined with beautiful visual storytelling. In fact I am very happy I went to see the movie. I'm not knocking CTHD for the record though.

But you know, you can take a quote from here if you want and try and prove your point by picking this post a part, cause that's the cool thing on the net these days. Fucking Jackass.

Ok so let me get this straight, from the spoilers given here in this thread, I am guessing that Jet Li is a righteous "hero" who wants to get revenge on the emperor who has destroyed his village and killed his people. But it is revealed that Jet Li is not the last of his people and is only using the "you killed my family" excuse as a rational reason to assinate the emperor even though the "facts" that Jet Li believe to be true is actually lies.

There is the cliche love triangle subplot in there which seems to distract from the KILL KILL KILL plot.

?????

Not exactly. From what I got:

Jet Li has spent 10 years preparing to kill the emperor for killing his people. He has been working on a technique that -when put in the same room as the emperor- Li can easily, quickly, and flawlessly kill him. The fact that he worked on this technique is played up more than his revenge. It's not a story of revenge. The Main Focus is on the love story between Broken Sword and Snow.

Hey Jackass post picker who goes real slow. I'm more then likely willing to bet he wasn't refering to that part of the plot(You know, compared to the fighting, and the diving off the mountain)... but it's good to see you can spell it out for us.

To say Crouching Tiger smoked it in every way is entirely opinionated, and a rather retarded one at that. But hey... at least you understood the Crouching Tiger ending, maybe you can enlighten us with Hero while you're at it. Oh wait, it got smoked...

As someone who wanted some Jet Li action, I was disappointed. With the film however, looking at it from the right sense, had some very good internal messages combined with beautiful visual storytelling. In fact I am very happy I went to see the movie. I'm not knocking CTHD for the record though.

But you know, you can take a quote from here if you want and try and prove your point by picking this post a part, cause that's the cool thing on the net these days. Fucking Jackass.

Said poster made a point that the ending was too abstract. I spelled out the ending of the film, minus the jumping off the mountain which made total sense in the context of the film. If they hadn't generalized the whole ending (which they did) I could've just saved some time and explained the mountain thing.

Black Cloud told Jen the story about the boy who jumped off the mountain and his wish was fulfilled. Jen tells Black Cloud to make a wish because she is willing to go to the ends of the earth for Black Cloud to give back the love he has waited so long to give to her.

But hey, maybe I'm just reading into it a bit.

And be careful with those "jackass" insults.........just because I post on the internet doesn't mean I don't have feelings like you. *sniff*.

Guest JMA

I really enjoyed this film, literally every part of it, the different flashbacks, the use of colors, and the wirework. In a way, the story is very tragic. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I'm also glad that the film didn't dub the dialogue, although I can imagine some people were upset that they were watching a film with subtitles.

The fight scenes were phenomenal, as was the ending.

I thought it would be understood that I was only talking about the mountain bit, because that is, after all, the end of the movie, and is also the only thing that could have been interpretted as abstract. Especially because dislike of the mountain bit isn't exactly an uncommon opinion for people to have, I'm assuming you knew exactly what I was talking about and were just being obnoxious, meh. It was a pretty final scene, but I prefer more satisfying, firm conclusions that aren't trying so hard to be artistic. I still loved CTHD and think it was probably a slightly better overall movie, but the very end just bugged me a little.

Guest Razamatazathoth

I'm ignoring the bashers. I lourved this movie. I think it's better than Crouching Tiger, too, because unlike that movie (which was good), THIS one doesn't have a fifteen minute interlude in the desert where NOTHING. FRIKKIN'. HAPPENS and it feels like somebody just inserted Ishtar into the middle of Seven Samurai.

Anyhow.

SPOILER

I lourved the little touches. In the movie, whenver someone cried, it was always from their left eye--the opposite side of their sword-wielding hand.

The Emperor proclaims, as he beholds an example of Broken Sword's calligraphy, that it represents the ultimate goal of the martial artist--that at the end of every journey, there is no need for his sword. He understands the art in its entirity, and realizes that the sword is not the answer.

In the last moments of Snow's life, as she beheld Broken Sword--dead, truly dead, after two false starts--she wept from both eyes. In her waning moments, she realized his philosophy. And off they were--"to a place without boundaries."

END SPOILER

All that, and kickass swordfights in Go houses, dancing on water, and my second favorite over-the-top-fantasy-siege-effect, the "hail of arrows/bolts that darken the sky." Hot damn.

I saw this months ago, which I point out to show how cool I am. It's supposed to be government funded proaganda about invading Taiwan though.

I didn't even fully realize it when I went to watch this in the theater the other week, but it seems that when this film first hit the net...1-2 years ago, I downloaded it and watched the movie all the way up to the end of the first "story". I don't remember why I stopped there back then though. Maybe I wasn't as open to films like this then, which is basicly true, or maybe something happened and it was deleted from my computer or something. Either way, as I sat in the theater watching this, it just hit me that I had seen that part already.

I can't wait to check this film out on DVD.

As for you Razamatazathoth, well said!

Guest Razamatazathoth

Thank'ee much.

Clarification: "bashers" are those who openly insulted the film. I ignore them because their opinions clash with mine; I know what I like and I'd rather not let someone else mock said opinion. Everybody who didn't like it but stated their reasons eloquently and reasonably, I have no problems with.

Also, is it me, or ar ethe Chinese seemingly enamored with Shakespear? What with the

SPOILERS

everybody getting the hell killed out of them in both Hero and CTHD?

END SPOILERS

I mean, man, gotta know when to hold 'em and when

SPOILERS

NOT to break out the Speargat on the Dramatis Personae.

END SPOILERS

ALSO END POST

Black Cloud told Jen the story about the boy who jumped off the mountain and his wish was fulfilled. Jen tells Black Cloud to make a wish because she is willing to go to the ends of the earth for Black Cloud to give back the love he has waited so long to give to her.

That's not how I interpreted her death.

I always thought that, given the story Dark Cloud had told her, Jen realized that her foolish, childish behavior as apprentice to Jade Fox led to the death of Li Mu Bai, thus ensuring that Li and Yu Shu Lien would never be together, unless you count Bai's spirit haunting Yu until the end of her days.

So she threw herself off the mountain, so that her wish of correcting the wrongs she had committed could be fulfilled.

Or maybe that's my own romantic interpretation of the ending, because I was much more enamored with the Bai / Lien relationship than I was with the Dark Cloud / Jen love affair.