TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

SF Anniversary Collection

Why do you want SF Collection? And why for Saturn? If you want it, just get it for PSX.

1) I have Alpha 2 already for Saturn, but I kinda want Alpha 2 Gold. Plus, some one is interested in getting the Saturn Alpha 2 from me.

2) The Saturn controller. I'm still not certain I'm going to get the special SF controller and the PS2 SFAC. Obviously, price will be a factor.

3) The Saturn versions of the game are just plain better. More animation, I hear the PS1 version has slowdown, and even the American PS1 version is hard to find anyway...so may as well get the Saturn one if possible. However, does the PS1 have Survival and Akuma Mode?

4) If I wait for the X-Box one, ST will give me my SFII fix until then.

I'd snatch up the import if they had the English mode like in VS. Is that in CvS2? I see a "Bilingual" in the lower corner of the screen in the DC CvS2, but I don't know what that's about.

Alpha 3 would be better than Alpha 2 just because 3 is the last game in the series. The collection should have been the definitive collection for the entire series with the final game of each. SF1, Alpha 3, Hyper II and 3rd Strike. It makes no sense for it to just be Hyper and 3rd Strike. Well, besides the fact that it's a bundle of two seperate Japanese releases.

As far as I'm concerned, Alpha 3 is a "dream match" game filled with a lot of bad ideas, good ideas poorly excuted, and stupid unnecessary changes that ruin the game engine. Air throws for everybody! One useless ISM and one overpowered one! Bison more of a cheap bastard than ever! Crappy, lazily-thrown together backgrounds! You can play as the worst Final Fight character! The music sucks! The animation is downgraded! Crap about that "Psycho Drive!" Lousy endings!

"Counter Hits," two-button throws, and air-recoveries that some 3D fighter junkie thought belonged here! Too much juggling! Cammy clones! "Old" SF2 fighters that finally appear after anyone who missed them probably moved on!....

Although World Tour mode was a good idea. However, since that was a home version exclusive that's more of a credit to the people making the home versions (who also made a shockingly good home PS1 conversion) than the quality of the game itself.

A Gauntlet mode would have made the game a lot closer to perfect in my eyes. That was one of the things I *loved* abotu Alpha 2 for the Saturn.

And the Saturn controller was pretty good in my eyes, though the six-button for the Genesis remains my all-time favorite.

Alpha 3 sold me on the gauntlet that Chun-Li had to run at the end. With the advent of the Alphas, I had to abandon Sagat because his fighting style changed along with his appearance, and I hated the changes. But thats okay, it gave me a chance to get *really* good with Ryu and Chun-li. And those Cammy clones were *fun* to fight, once you learned how.

But I do agree with most of what you are saying, in that Alpha 3 seemed like a bunch of ideas badly cobbled together. Fortunately the gameplay saved it.

A Gauntlet mode would have made the game a lot closer to perfect in my eyes. That was one of the things I *loved* abotu Alpha 2 for the Saturn.

And the Saturn controller was pretty good in my eyes, though the six-button for the Genesis remains my all-time favorite.

Survival rocks. It's one of the many reasons Alpha 2 Saturn pwns the PSX version. However, from what I've been reading up on, Saturn Alpha 2 is somewhere between Arcade Alpha 2 and Alpha 2 Gold as far as options. So getting Alpha 2 Gold on it wouldn't really net me that many more features. So I guess I'll stick to Alpha 2 Saturn and try to track down an Alpha 2 Saturn for my friend.

However, I gave into peer pressure (several friends at campus have SFAC), and just picked it up at Wal-Mart. I'll probably get the controller with Chunners on it, too, next week. I don't normally splurge like this--but hell, it's Capcom.

The final straw was a GameFAQ rumor that claimed that the Japanese X-Box version would be out October 28th, but would work on both US and Japanese systems and would have English text. However, that's still a month and a half and would probably retail for full price, so I'd have to pay twice as much. So screw it--I can get it now and get a controller, too.

Alpha 3 sold me on the gauntlet that Chun-Li had to run at the end. With the advent of the Alphas, I had to abandon Sagat because his fighting style changed along with his appearance, and I hated the changes. But thats okay, it gave me a chance to get *really* good with Ryu and Chun-li. And those Cammy clones were *fun* to fight, once you learned how.

But I do agree with most of what you are saying, in that Alpha 3 seemed like a bunch of ideas badly cobbled together. Fortunately the gameplay saved it.

Okay, that's another point I forgot about--fighting two opponents at once was something new Alpha 3 brought to the table. Too bad the rest of the game didn't agree with me. For me, the gameplay was severely hampered as well. I still *HATE* the gameplay since it was dumbed-down, IMO. The air-recoveries, counter-attacks, and other stuff--yech. Alpha 2 was so polished and well-done that Alpha 3 makes me shake my head and sigh. It's like the X6 of the Street Fighter series.

I'd heard about an interview where the makers of it basically said they used Alpha 3 to implement ideas they'd been batting around for the post-Super Turbo games that never were. So it was a rushed, thrown-together title with more emphasis on USING those ideas rather than doing them well. Plus, it isn't like they limited that stuff to just one ISM--you were stuck with that sort of stuff no matter what. X-ism shouldn't have had a Guard meter, nor should you have needed to use the two-button throws as an X-Ism. Plus WHAT WAS WITH THE SCREEN FLASHING EVERY 5 SECONDS?!

Plus, these weren't changes people asked for or changes the series needed. They were changes for the sake of change, to differentiate the game, I guess.

Despite all the cool home-exclusive options in SFA3, Third Strike's ability to tweak the gameplay to your personal whims was much better, IMO, and was sorely needed in SFA3.

I have SFC for both PSX and Saturn. There's no slowdown on PSX. It has both Akuma and Survival mode.

The differences between Alpha 2 and Alpha 2 Gold are not that big of a deal. Mostly classic versions of characters and Cammy.

I have SFC for both PSX and Saturn. There's no slowdown on PSX. It has both Akuma and Survival mode.

The differences between Alpha 2 and Alpha 2 Gold are not that big of a deal. Mostly classic versions of characters and Cammy.

Plus Alpha 2 Saturn has classic Dhalsim, classic Zangief, and Evil Ryu, which are *new* to Alpha 2 Gold on PSX, but were already out on the Saturn version.

Yeah, but there's also CE versions of the others too, like Sagat, Bison, Ryu, Ken...

There's also an alternate Sakura...who seems exactly the same but with different colors....

Yeah, but there's also CE versions of the others too, like Sagat, Bison, Ryu, Ken...

There's also an alternate Sakura...who seems exactly the same but with different colors....

Ah, okay. No big deal about those, although it'd be cool to still have the option of playing as them. Also, that version of Sakura is in Saturn Alpha 2 as well. She also has a new move--the leaping axhandle thing that doesn't seem terribly useful.

You've probably seen it in later games.

Nope--not in A2S. Although it seems to be somewhere between Alpha 2 arcade and Alpha 2 Gold home as far as features. Vampire Savior was the same way,

having some of the additions of Vampire Savior 2 arcade, but not all of them.

Illustration mode with 100 viewable pics in A2G? There is on Saturn. :)

Oh--and a full guide of the Alpha 2 Gold extra features...

http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/...ero_2_alpha.txt

"Nash

----

- All Flash kicks are air blockable (even short version)

- Damage on CCs and Supers reduced.

- Standing strong and forward are not reliable as Anti-Airs anymore."

BOOO!!!

I picked up an Interact ProgramPad for PS1 for a whopping 3 bucks today. I just ordered another one online...

Basically, it looks like a typical PS1 pad, but expanded with two "programmable" buttons on the face, to the left of the square and X buttons.

They default to whatever R1 and R2 are, so with a little reconfig-ing, you can have a much cheaper alternative to the SF pads. In fact, compared to my old Hori, I think this feels more comfortable. Very light, though. Buttons are clicky and responsive, D-pad has been working very, very well, too. Combos have been coming out like buttah for me with it.

Probably I'll pick up at least one SF controller, but in the meantime these will do quite nicely. :)

Not bad looking.... where did you get one for three bucks though, and where did you order them online? I might pick one of these up.

Not bad looking.... where did you get one for three bucks though, and where did you order them online? I might pick one of these up.

Gamestop and half.com, respectively--both used. However, in both cases they were apparently the last ones there. So check your local EBs/Gamestops, I suppose.

Here's what it looks like, BTW.

Gamestop and half.com, respectively--both used. However, in both cases they were apparently the last ones there. So check your local EBs/Gamestops, I suppose.

Here's what it looks like, BTW.

That sucks because I found a controller that looks something like that in EBGames today but I didn;t pull the trigger.... I bought a Datel controller and memory card for $20 at Best Buy... and I hit quite a few stores today as well, looking for controllers like that... though I will check those places out, too. Thanks.

EDIT: I found one for 9.99 on shoplet.com. Yay me.

Good, good. :) I wasn't sure exactly how it would work, but the Interact name lured me in and I was very pleased. Just set your Jab/Shorts to the R1 buttons, and reconfig it around that and you're set.

I have to admit the Datel controller feel very good.. I was playing ESPN 2K5 with it and I did pretty well... I will be getting the interact controller by wednesday.

Got this today. It's great, but damn my execution of 2D style moves is so bad. Trying to adjust to an Hori when I'd only played on American arcade sticks isn't making things any easier, either. I'm going to be a scrub for a very long time, heh.

Heh, this ain't SF:SCE with 9 stars worth of speed....

And I always hated playing turbo speeds anyway.

Heh, this ain't SF:SCE with 9 stars worth of speed....

And I always hated playing turbo speeds anyway.

Well, I ordered a copy of SCE...

Although yeah, once you get a bit too high, it's only for the sake of novelty.

That post was. ^

Although it is a shame that compared to the 16-bit days, where Capcom would put in extras (SCE has Hyper Fighting in it, somewhat, from what I remember, plus the extra speeds, special moves only, etc.), it is disappointing.

Then of course, stuff like Team Battle and Survival ain't very hard to include, and adds replay. The team battle mode in MKII on SNES was the best part of the game, IMO (was hidden via code).

I remember Game Players dissecting the Capcom Staff challenge on SNES Super SFII, declaring it was impossible to get that score, and that it was something the staff made up for players to shoot for.

Plus, after Alpha 3's World Tour mode, one would hope Capcom would do more. Capcom Fighting Evo, if that is going to be their last 2D fighter, should have the gameplay finely-tuned (since there isn't all that many characters, that shouldn't be too difficult), and maybe stuff it with mini-games and other bonuses like Match of the Millenium had. That's the way they should do it. Hyper was little more than an arcade port, though.

SCE does have Hyper Fighting. It's just like the SNES Turbo. You can pick between playing CE or HF.

Thanks for the info.

Oh, and NO WONDER I couldn't do the walking-forward Super Headbutt/Thousand Burst Kicks--you have to hold Start when picking Super Turbo mode, then you can get those versions of Chun/Honda.

I'm not very familiar with 3rd Strike.. is the last boss some sort of rib? One time, I had him beat, so he leaped into the air and killed me with rainbow beams. Another time, he resurected himself in the first round, which was ok. But then, in the final round (of another fight), I thought I finally beat him by taking him out with a Super... but no, he said "Resurection!" and came back to beat me again.

ARGH!

I'm not very familiar with 3rd Strike.. is the last boss some sort of rib? One time, I had him beat, so he leaped into the air and killed me with rainbow beams. Another time, he resurected himself in the first round, which was ok. But then, in the final round (of another fight), I thought I finally beat him by taking him out with a Super... but no, he said "Resurection!" and came back to beat me again.

ARGH!

Gill's beatable despite Resurrection.

Either:

1) Don't let get his super meter full.

2) Get a time over victory.

3) Get him to blow his meter on Meteor

4) Hit him before he can recover with a super.

It helps a lot to play a defensive style. Plus, certain characters like Ibuki and Elena have moves he consistently falls for--in Ibuki's case that neck twist, and in Elena's case jump-in Roundhouse/Rhino Horn.

You can stop him from recovering all his energy by hitting him. I've had the best luck by starting a super right before he flashes for Resurrection, and it hits him quickly enough that he only recovers about 1/6 of the bar. Then if the super doesn' t do him in, usually he's not too difficult to polish off from there.