TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest W_Hillard

WWE Know Your Role RPG

Guest W_Hillard

There's a new pen and paper RPG coming out in December based on WWE. I've talked to one of the people writing for it, and I've read text taken from the free demo booklet they handed out at GenCon Indy. I have to say, it looks extremely cool.

I plan on writing an ECW netbook for it when I get my copy. :D

Anywho, you can find more info about it here.

Guest W_Hillard

Why not? Hell, Kayfabe has been around for a while, and it seems to be doing just fine. The rules are a lot cleaner than the old WWF Adventure Game. Hell, it even uses Wizards of the Coast Open Game License, meaning that anybody that plays a D20 game can pick up on it quickly.

I'm not a nerd, though. I'm a geek. You are, too. There's not a damn thing wrong with that. :P

It has the potential to be good I can see it now.......

You are in a headlock, roll the 6 sided die to see if you can escape. Congraduations you got a 4 you throw you opponet to the ropes, roll two 10 sided dice to see what move you do......if the sum of the dice is under 10 you do a low impact move if it is over you do a high impact move.

I could see Experience Points being handed out for cutting good promos, winning matches, and so forth... there was a wrestling RPG that was actually pretty good, damned if I can remember it... me and my RP buddies would play it for kicks back in the early 90s.... then someone tried to make a wrestling RPG using the d20 system a year or so ago, and nothing came of it.

Guest W_Hillard
How exactly would you roleplay in this game?

Click the link and read. Basically, both players roll a D20, add any modifiers they have to the roll, and the player with the highest roll gets to pull off their move and describe the action.

It's being produced by Comic Images, and from what I've seen, it's going to be brilliant.

Guest Salacious Crumb

This is probably going to bomb horribly. It's hard enough keeping a decent D&D group together so I couldn't imagine keeping a group for this together. Especially since you'd need probably 5 or 6 people to keep any kind of federation interesting.

It also looks like matches will be totally bogged down and take forever.

I seem to recall a WWF dice, paper and pencil RPG that came out in, I want to say 94....anyone else remember this? all I remember is that the cover was black with the logo right on the front...was this the WWF Adventure Game that was referred to earlier? Anyway, was that one any good?

Guest W_Hillard

Actually, all you need is two players. Don't even need a GM for this one. The matches are pretty fast. Whether or not it bombs out, only time will tell. It has generated some interest on RPG.net, which is a good sign.

Yeah, that was the WWF Adventure game. The matches took about three hours to resolve in the game. And, it was poorly marketed. Suffice it to say, it went the way of the Dodo quickly. I still wish I had the pewter miniatures that was produced for that game, though.

Guest W_Hillard

Ok, I've compiled the demo into a PDF document. If anybody wants a copy, just let me know and I'll email it to you.

Guest W_Hillard

Ok, there's a new version of the PDF. It includes the errata, as given to me by the line developer, and has three new sample wrestlers: Benoit, Orton, and Batista.

Anybody who wants a copy can PM me here or email me whillard(at)gmail(dot)com

I checked it out and its interesting.... the rules aren;t hard to grasp, and it sounds like a lot of fun.

It only figures that Rey Mysterio would have a Dex of 20.

Guest W_Hillard

That's one of the things that struck me as well. There's a use for every skill in the game. That's extremely cool.

I'm glad y'all like it. I'm just waiting for it to come out now so I can write up some netbooks for it. :D

Guest W_Hillard

Ok, I've updated the .PDF with further rules clarifications, but I'm waiting for confirmation that the stats for John Cena are correct. As soon as I get that, I'll email everyone who has already recieved a copy the new, updated version.

In the meantime, if you don't want the PDF but still want to check out the demo, I've added it to my website as a web page.

Unofficial WWE Know Your Role RPG Demo