TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

'the Machinist'

This one is by Brad Anderson [session 9] and stars Christian Bale. I can't believe how much weight he lost for this part. He must have starved himself for a good six months. You could see his ribs and spine.. so crazy to think that this guy was so built for American Psycho - and I'm sure, is now, for Batman.

Either way, great flick with lots of twists, some dark comedy and 'wtf' moments.

From the TIFF web site:

179.jpg

The Machinist

Programme: Midnight Madness

Director: Brad Anderson

Year: 2004

Language: English

Time: 102 minutes

Film Types: Colour/35mm

Production Company: Filmax International

Executive Producer: Antonia Nava, Carlos Fernández

Producer: Julio Fernández

Screenplay: Scott Kosar

Cinematography: Xavier Giménez

Editor: Luis De La Madrid

Production Designer: Alain Bainée

Sound: Albert Manera

Music: Roque Baños

Principal Cast: Christian Bale, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, John Sharian, Michael Ironside

Sleep deprivation is common at film festivals, where every waking hour is spent lost in the dreams and nightmares of filmmakers, so someone like the protagonist of Brad Anderson's The Machinist just might be sitting in the cinema seat beside you. Fans of Anderson's underrated Session 9 will be pleased to know the director has conjured up another thriller that gets under your skin and into your mind.

Literally a shell of his former self, Trevor Reznik (Christian Bale) is a man for whom sleep is a faded dream. A cruel bout of insomnia has physically worn his body down to a frail, emaciated frame, with cheekbones, ribs and vertebrae threatening to rip through taut skin. He spends his working hours bent over a drill press in a machine shop, where sparks ricochet to the tune of screeching metal on metal. Fellow employees are freaked out by his appearance and manners, hardly a surprise when one wrong move in the shop could remove a limb or end a life. In his off hours, Trevor seeks solace in the arms of Stevie (Jennifer Jason Leigh), a hooker who seems to have fallen for him. When a new employee starts at the shop and cryptic notes begin appearing on the fridge of his apartment, he suspects there is a conspiracy among his co-workers to have him fired - or worse. As darkness closes in on the weary blue-collar worker, he loses his tenuous hold on rationality.

Blood and grease pool at the edges of the stark, expressionistic nightmare that Anderson crafts from the script by Scott Kosar (who wrote the screenplay for the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), but at the centre is a stunning performance by Bale as the physically and mentally devastated Trevor. Support comes from several angles, including Leigh's tough call girl and cinematographer Xavier Giménez's metallic greys and blues, which create a nocturnal mood highlighted by Roque Baños's haunting theremin score (featuring a performance by Lydia Kavina, niece of Leon Theremin).

And what better time to see a paranoid thriller about insomnia than at midnight?

- Colin Geddes

Brad Anderson was born in Madison, Connecticut and worked as a projectionist after graduating from Bowdoin College in Maine. He attended the London Film School and went on to edit television series for PBS. His feature films include The Darien Gap (96), Next Stop Wonderland (98), Happy Accidents (00), Session 9 (01) and The Machinist (04).

Guest El Satanico

This is yet another film I've been highly anticipating.

Shaun

Saw

Haute Tension

Creep

Machinist

land of the dead

I think there's a few more, but can't think

Guest El Satanico

Since you're from Toronto were you aware of this?

If you read at the bottom you'll see it's a monthly event.

Guest El Satanico
Since you're from Toronto were you aware of this?

If you read at the bottom you'll see it's a monthly event.

Yup! I've been to a few of them so far. ;)

lucky bastid

DAMN YOU TORONTO!

Guest El Satanico

From what I hear after finishing Machinist Bale gained 70 pounds for Batman Begins.