Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW Starrcade 1989

Starrcade 1989

"Future Shock/Night of the Iron Men"

December 13, 1989 in Atlanta, GA

The Omni drawing 6,000 ($70,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.3)

1. Rick & Scott Steiner beat Doom (12:24) via countout.

2. Lex Luger pinned Sting (11:31).

3. The Road Warriors beat Doom (8:31) when Animal pinned Reed.

4. Ric Flair pinned The Great Muta (1:55).

5. Rick & Scott Steiner beat The Road Warriors (7:27) when Scott pinned Animal.

6. Sting pinned The Great Muta (8:41).

7. Samoan Savage & Fatu beat Doom (8:22) when Fatu pinned Reed.

8. Lex Luger drew Ric Flair (17:15).

9. Samoan Savage & Fatu beat Rick & Scott Steiner (14:05) via DQ.

10. Lex Luger beat The Great Muta (11:08) via DQ.

11. The Road Warriors beat Samoan Savage & Fatu (5:18) to win the Iron Team Tournament when Hawk pinned Fatu.

12. Sting pinned Ric Flair (14:30) to win the Iron Man Tournament.

I like it. IIRC, that's the only Warriors/Steiners match ever, so that was one of the main selling points for me, though I was a bit disappointed by the match itself. I thought Muta was wasted somewhat though.

I enjoy the event for nostalgia purposes. Some will say the event isn't good because the matches aren't anything to run home about but, to me, seeing the Steiners, Road Warriors and Flair, Sting, Luger & Muta all in their prime makes it worth it. Muta was on his way out so he got jobbed to everyone.

One thing I never understood is why the SST took the place of the Skyscrapers instead of, say, the Midnight Express. I would had loved to see the Midnights against the Steiners & Road Warriors.

One thing I never understood is why the SST took the place of the Skyscrapers instead of, say, the Midnight Express. I would had loved to see the Midnights against the Steiners & Road Warriors.

As crazy as it sounds for the NWA/WCW of that time, maybe they were not wanting to give away matches that could have been used to draw on PPV. They were already giving away too many PPV caliber matches in one night as it is, so it is possible, however unlikely, that they didn't want to give away any more than they felt they had to.

As crazy as it sounds for the NWA/WCW of that time, maybe they were not wanting to give away matches that could have been used to draw on PPV. They were already giving away too many PPV caliber matches in one night as it is, so it is possible, however unlikely, that they didn't want to give away any more than they felt they had to.

Except it was a PPV and thus the point should have been to put on as many PPV quality matches as possible, especially in the age where there were only five or six PPVs a year.

I always assumed the Samoans were the only team they could get on short notice...and if that's not the case, let me believe that, dammit!

Guest Staravenger

Most of the matches were pretty boring IMO. The only match I remember that was enjoyable was the obvious one (Sting/Flair), but even that was as dead give away on who was winning.

A for the idea

F for presentation

Same thing for the Battlebowl shit. It sounds good on paper, but the actual delivery sucked.

Guest Staravenger
God damn it there is no such thing as "WCW Starrcade 1989".

It was promoted with the NWA name.

Whoops, it wasn't WCW at the time. I'm an idiot. My bad.

He already apologized about 3 seconds later. Too bad there's no way to change the title of a thread.

Except it was a PPV and thus the point should have been to put on as many PPV quality matches as possible, especially in the age where there were only five or six PPVs a year.

I always assumed the Samoans were the only team they could get on short notice...and if that's not the case, let me believe that, dammit!

My point was that maybe they didn't want to give away too many PPV caliber matches in one night. Even with only 5 or 6 PPV's a year, it still wouldn't have made sense to give away so many PPV level matches in one night, so it could have been a reason they didn't use The Midnights. As for why they didn't use The Midnights, another reason could be that Jim Herd simply didn't want to use them at all, due to the noted tension between Herd and Cornette.

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch

It's dreadful. Flair-Sting and Flair-Luger are decent (because it's Flair-Sting and Flair-Luger which were always decent) and the LOD-Steiners match is pretty neat from a fan-geek mindset...but most of the matches are terrible. So many fuck-ups. The LOD-Samoans match is particulary hilarious. Doom not being able to get together on an irish whip was quite funny. Muta just goes through the motions. Luger-Sting is horrible beyond belief with a few great moments (Sting's running choke and the flubbed finish come to mind). Smoke some pot and get ready to giggle yourself silly!

Thanks for the comments so far. I remember I saw the last Clash before this show once and thought it would be interesting to see because of the concept of it, but had no idea if it was good at all.

Guest Staravenger

???

I'm just as confused. Who's hat did Muta shit in to job out in 2 minutes to Flair?

???

I'm just as confused. Who's hat did Muta shit in to job out in 2 minutes to Flair?

That's what you get when you try to fit so many matches into one PPV. Given how long the other matches went, I would have taken 4 minutes off Steiners v Doom, 1 minute off Roadies v Doom, 1 minute off SST v Doom, 3 minutes off Steiners v SST, and 2 minutes off Muta v Luger, and put those 11 minutes onto Flair v Muta.

Guest Loss

Starrcade '89 is a fun, well-booked tournament with really bad wrestling. I think it was definitely worth watching in the context of the time, just because the booking was so good that year and they were building toward numerous high-profile matches that were teased on this show, but as something that holds up over time, it's rather flat.

Flair/Sting is the best match, and I'd only give it about ***, if that.