TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Going to upgrade to broadband

1. Okay, I know only one cable modem to a CPU, and for others I need a router. What's a good router, how much, and is there plenty of cord to run a CPU in another room?

2. The PC that the cable modem will be hooked up to has 128 MB of memory. However, the one I actually get to use most of the time is supposed to be 32 MB. I put an old 64 MB memory module in the older computer, but it doesn't seem to "recognize" it. Yet, it doesn't feel any slower than it was. Diagnostics, Add Hardware--nothing seems to recognize it is there, but it was cleaned of dust and stuff.

3. Assuming it's only running at 32 MB, will it still be fine? The folks who are going to be giving me the service say the 32 MB one will still run just fine, although by regulation the cable modem must be hooked up to at least one computer of at least 64 MB memory. So one of them exceeds the minimum. Will the other still "work" with the broadband?

If I screwed up some terms, bare with me. I've never used BB before and I'm not all that CPU-savvy either.

Heres what I would say to that

1.For what you would be doing, going out and getting any cheap router will be fine. I wouldnt recommend Linksys becuase I have had all types of problems with them. But a D-link, or Netgear router would be fine for what that type of thing. The only run between 20-60 dollars at your local best buy/staples type store. Actually if you really wanna get cheap since the "cable Modem" is really a router itself, you could settle for simply buying a switch.

2.The reason why the computer does not see the new memory is because you most likely have the wrong kind. You must first find out what kind of memory is supported in your pc and then figure out what you need from there.

3. Once you get a router this becomes irrelevant. The "cable modem" will be plugged directly into whatever device you choose to buy up top. What they are probably refering to is the software that comes with from your service provider. If that is the case you probably want to install that on your newer pc, and just do a generic internet connection for your older one (as oppose to installing the software). As far as wiring goes, that is hit and miss, it really depends on how far you want to go.

Hope this helped a little

You need ethernet cards on both computers (unless you want to go wireless). The person coming to install broadband will probably provide them for you, but you're better off buying 2 PCI ethernet cards yourself as the broadband installers tend to overcharge.

Now if you want to go wireless (which is easier) you can just buy two 802.x wireless PCI cards for both systems. They're like $15 each online.

Routers vary in price. My wireless ethernet hub cost like $35. I bought it refurbished from Half.com. Read reviews first and make sure everything's kosher.

Also, your cable company will try to charge you a monthly fee for rental of their cable modem. This is unnecessary. Buy your own cable modem (usually your cable company's web page provides a list of preferred brands) and have it ready at the time of installation. This should save you a few bucks each month.

So depending on your setup, this is what your connections will look like:

Non-Wireless:

Cable line goes into cable modem, cord connects from cable modem to router, ethernet cable #1 goes from router into PC #1 ethernet card, ethernet cable #2 goes from router into PC #2 ethernet card

Wireless:

Cable goes into cable modem, cord connects from cable modem to wireless router, signal picked up by PC#1 and PC#2 via their respective 802.x wireless cards

32 MB should be fine for web surfing. Like stated above, the 64 MB stick is most likely incompatible with your motherboard.

You need ethernet cards on both computers (unless you want to go wireless).  The person coming to install broadband will probably provide them for you, but you're better off buying 2 PCI ethernet cards yourself as the broadband installers tend to overcharge. 

Now if you want to go wireless (which is easier) you can just buy two 802.x wireless PCI cards for both systems.  They're like $15 each online.

Okay--could you clarify about ethernet cards? They're internal instead of external, correct? Also, where would they be installed--same place as my dial up modem is now, or close to it? The modem I have now is listed as a "US Robotics 56k PCI Fax," so that probably is it. It's easy to auto-detect and doesn't require additional drivers? I'm guessing the ethernets replace your dial up modem and actually go the same place then, hm?

I'm kind of a cheapskate, but wireless sounds better than drilling holes in the floor for cords. Would they have to come in a set or be the same brand of router I get, or will they be compatible with pretty much any router/cable modem?

They're coming over tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get what I need. A co-worker at my mother's workplace supposedly has a router and may just give it to us (friend of the family, my mother works with her, so I'm not all that worried), however I'll call to find out if it is wireless or not.

EDIT: called her up--she's at work now, so she isn't sure if it is a wireless router or not. I'll have to wait until she gets it before picking up any ethernet cards, I guess.

Thanks a lot, guys. :)

Oh--for security, would it be possible to simply turn off the connection when I'm not using the modem, rather than leaving it on all the time?

Okay--could you clarify about ethernet cards?  They're internal instead of external, correct?  Also, where would they be installed--same place as my dial up modem is now, or close to it?  The modem I have now is listed as a "US Robotics 56k PCI Fax," so that probably is it.  It's easy to auto-detect and doesn't require additional drivers?  I'm guessing the ethernets replace your dial up modem and actually go the same place then, hm?

You have to check how many PCI slots you have free. Your 56k modem is a PCI card so you may be able to leave it assuming there's an available slot next to it. Otherwise you can just remove the 56k modem and pop in a new ethernet or wireless card.

Usually the card will come with a disc/cd containing drivers. If not, you should be able to find the driver online.

XP should autodetect it - but I'm assuming you're not running XP. :)

Would they have to come in a set or be the same brand of router I get, or will they be compatible with pretty much any router/cable modem?

Most wireless routers send out signals on the 802.11 frequency, which is the industry standard. As long as the wireless cards you buy (or any other wireless device for that matter) say "802.11 compatible" it should easily pick up the signal your router is broadcasting.

They were able to add the PCI (a hardwired one) without taking out the old one.

However, now I need to get my computer on this.

The friend of my mother's had a DSL modem (which I'm fairly sure is useless to me), and a "Wireless USB Network Adapter."

The modem we rented (will probably buy though, if not this one, an identical one from a store) has a separate USB port, so it seems I can have the "main" computer hardwired and the other one with the wireless. However, the "Wireless USB Network Adapter" will function as a router, correct? Therefore, I'd just need to get the correct wireless PCI card for the other modem? I don't have any documentation, so I may have to check with folks up Staples.

Thanks in advance, again. You guys've been a tremendous help so far. :)

You're better off sticking to wired connections for security reasons.

Ethernet cards are internal PCI, and cost $10-20 in most places. D-Link and Netgear make good ones. Routers can run anywhere from $20-$100+ depending on the features you get. If you have one printer for these two computers, you should look into a router that comes with a print server built-in. Any technology web site will compare routers; Practically Networked, Tom's Hardware (no relation), and Hard OCR are some good places to look. Read and learn before you buy.

Make sure you're using the right kind of memory. 32MB isn't enough to do very much anymore. Considering how absurdly cheap it is to get a new PC these days, you might want to look into going that route. Jacking up the memory on your 32MB system will help, but the rest of the hardware is going to limit you at some point.

Make sure you're using the right kind of memory. 32MB isn't enough to do very much anymore. Considering how absurdly cheap it is to get a new PC these days, you might want to look into going that route. Jacking up the memory on your 32MB system will help, but the rest of the hardware is going to limit you at some point.

I bought a 266 MHZ PC offline a few months back that came installed with 32 MB of RAM. It was slow as shit, but I figured it was just the processor as I'm used to using a 2.5 GHZ system and haven't used a clunker in quite a while.

I found a 64 MB stick of RAM laying around from my old system and popped it in the 266 machine to increase the total memory to 96.

DAMN what a difference. I installed XP on the machine and it runs smooth.

Case in point: upgrade the RAM - it's cheap and effective.

Make sure you're using the right kind of memory.  32MB isn't enough to do very much anymore.  Considering how absurdly cheap it is to get a new PC these days, you might want to look into going that route.  Jacking up the memory on your 32MB system will help, but the rest of the hardware is going to limit you at some point.

I bought a 266 MHZ PC offline a few months back that came installed with 32 MB of RAM. It was slow as shit, but I figured it was just the processor as I'm used to using a 2.5 GHZ system and haven't used a clunker in quite a while.

I found a 64 MB stick of RAM laying around from my old system and popped it in the 266 machine to increase the total memory to 96.

DAMN what a difference. I installed XP on the machine and it runs smooth.

Case in point: upgrade the RAM - it's cheap and effective.

I think mine has a low limit, but I'll still look to upgrade ASAP.

Should I worry about the security issue for wireless, if, say, I live out in the sticks and no neighbors in the immediate vicinity seem to know how to turn on a computer let alone hack? :P

To a point, yes. You're still running a 266 with 96 MB of RAM, and that's eventually going to matter. Maybe XP runs smoothly, but how easily can you multitask without slowing down? My laptop is a P3 700 MHz with 192 MB RAM, and it slows down with 2-3 applications open (normally Word, PowerPoint, and whatever else). You can go to a computer show and get a new P4 or AMD system for about $300, and when they're that cheap, there's no reason not to.

Thanks everyone! I'm on broadband on my regular computer now. I got a new hardwired ethernet card, a router, and hardwired the whole shebang together. It's much faster than I'd expect. :)

I may get a new computer, but this will suffice for a while.

I'm considering a new..ish computer, but I'm not looking to shell out 500 bucks +. I'd be fine with one a year or so old that's significantly more powerful than what I got. The retail chains all have mainly the newer stuff, though.

Any suggestions?

Retrobox.com looks promising. Pentium 4 looks good...

Bah--no op system.

I'm looking for a decent speed one--maybe half a gig, with at least a CD burner (DVD player would be nice but not necessary, ditto with burner), I'd like it if XP was installed already, video memory and storage space aren't critical--whatever would be the norm would be sufficient.

Any suggestions?