TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Braves/Astros NLDS Thread

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Here is my question;

Is Boston fearing a World Series with Houston?

Bucky...Buckner....Boone.

Let's just say Houston is stockpiled with B's.

Guest Anglesault
Fucking Christ. I know these guys have made a name off being October chokers

Yes but it looks like Houston finally came through. :-)

Huh?

Houston, like Atlanta are known to choke in the post-season. This would be the first time in 42 years they won a postseason series.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But figured Bob had finally dropped the whole "The Braves aren't chokers" bit.

Guest Anglesault

You know, you can trace the Brave's demise every year back to that stupid Indian chant thing they play.

They play it, all seventeen Braves fans in attendence (which is a disgrace that I'm not going to get into right now) chant and whatnot, everyone else mocks it and the Braves start to fall apart.

It's all about the Cards now, folks. They're the team that's played like a World Series team all season. Like them or not, they deserve to play in the Series.

I don't know how you Braves fans do it. I couldn't subject myself to this postseason misery seemingly every year.

You know, you can trace the Brave's demise every year back to that stupid Indian chant thing they play.

They play it, all seventeen Braves fans in attendence (which is a disgrace that I'm not going to get into right now) chant and whatnot, everyone else mocks it and the Braves start to fall apart.

In fairness, tonight Turner Field registered the second highest attendance in stadium history.

Guest Anglesault
4 out of the past 5 years they have choked like bastards.

Your math fails to add up.

Guest Anglesault

In fairness, tonight Turner Field registered the second highest attendance in stadium history.

The morons at Fox said it wasn't a sellout.

I don't consider 91, 92, 95, 96, 97, 99 or 2001 choking.

Making it to the World Series isn't choking.

1997 was Eric fat fuck Gregg.

So they've choked 6 times.

But they said only 21,000 tickets were sole before the walkup.

Guest Anglesault

Yes it is. It's choking on the grandest stage.

91: Choked away a 3-2 lead in the WS (and wasted a shutout by Smoltz in Game 7).

92: Choked away a potential 2-0 WS lead with 2 innings left in Game 2.

96: Choked away a 2-0 lead in the WS (and a 6-0 lead in Game 4).

97: Choked against a team they beat for the division in the NLCS.

99: Choked against an inferior (record-wise) Yankee team.

2001 you can have.

Guest Anglesault
There's no shame in making it to the World Series.

Not at all.

There's shame in losing one.

1999 wasn't a choke. The Yankees were just better. Ditto with 2001. They couldn't be expected to beat the Diamondbacks.

I did give him 2001. And the Braves did win 103 games in 1999 -- getting swept has to be considered a choke job to some degree.

91: Choked away a 3-2 lead in the WS (and wasted a shutout by Smoltz in Game 7).

92: Choked away a potential 2-0 WS lead with 2 innings left in Game 2.

96: Choked away a 2-0 lead in the WS (and a 6-0 lead in Game 4).

97: Choked against a team they beat for the division in the NLCS.

99: Choked against an inferior (record-wise) Yankee team.

2001 you can have.

91 was just insane and it was destiny for the Twins. That game was back and forth and anyone could've won.

92 they lost in 6 games. Didn't choke.

96 was J-- L-----

1997 I explained. Game 5 was given to the Marlins by the ump.

They didn't choke in 1999. They were mentally and physically exhausted from the Mets series and faced a dominant Yankees team. The Yankees lost one playoff game that year (I think) Regardless of record wise...no is touching them

1999 wasn't a choke.  The Yankees were just better.  Ditto with 2001.  They couldn't be expected to beat the Diamondbacks.

I did give him 2001. And the Braves did win 103 games in 1999 -- getting swept has to be considered a choke job to some degree.

No one was touching the Yankees that year. If Rocker can put the Mets away in Game 4 I think the Braves had a shot

Does any of this really matter? You can spin it any way you'd like, but at the end of the day, the Braves have one ring to show for 13 straight division titles. As a Cubs fan, I'd kill for just one ring, but then again, I'd probably expect more than one if they had made the postseason for nearly a decade and a half.

The thing is, there's choking, and there's being overmatched. Since the postseason is an eight team event, you can rarely say a team SHOULD win the postseason. It is always an uphill climb. Lately the Braves haven't been good enough to win, but they're there because they let four teams in. The fifth best team doesn't get criticized. Why should the third best team get more criticism?

I don't give a shit about destiny or being outmatched. If you lose in the playoffs, then in my book it's considered a choke, period. It may not be really, but in my eyes it is.

When you get in the playoffs, you are there to win regardless of destiny or being outmatches.

I don't think there's shame in losing a WS if you really give it your best shot, or perhaps get screwed. I mean the Cardinals in 85 got screwed out of the series on a bad call.

As far as the Braves go, 1991 wasn't really a choke. 1992 vs. Toronto...choke. 93 vs. Phillies...major choke. 96 vs. the Yankees..biggest choke, they were up 2-0 and looked like they might SWEEP that series. 97..choke vs. Marlins. 98...choke vs. SD. 99...not really a choke against the Yankees, Yanks just better. In 2000 I think the Cardinals just waxed them, not exactly a choke but just a horrid series.

Anglesault, let's gauge your shame over the Yankees. I figure you'd consider last year vs. the Marlins to be a shameful showing, as would I. But what about 2001? They went 7, down to the final pitch.

If you lose in the playoffs, then in my book it's considered a choke, period. It may not be really, but in my eyes it is.

HOW?

That makes no sense. If you face the better team and lose that ain't choking.

Congrats to the Astros and their fans. You deserved it

Does any of this really matter? You can spin it any way you'd like, but at the end of the day, the Braves have one ring to show for 13 straight division titles. As a Cubs fan, I'd kill for just one ring, but then again, I'd probably expect more than one if they had made the postseason for nearly a decade and a half.

That's the thing. People can call us on 1 for 13 all they want but I think fans of a lot of teams would kill for one. It's still the greatest day of my life.

And oh yea- this is a choke

Huh... We win and I'm actually rather melancholy about it.

I wish Cammy could've see it.

Still though, a good series by all concerned, and now we get one of the best teams in baseball.

Because there's still a LONG way ahead. I remember being thrilled about the Cubs winning the NLDS last season, but the possible two weeks of play that lied ahead seemed like an enternity.

I'd call the Cards favs to take the series, but then again, me backing a team seems to be the kiss of death, so I'll pipe down.

As much as I dislike the Astros, I couldn't help but feel a tad bit happy for Bagwell and Biggio. I guess they deserve at least one postseason series win.

Oh, and hey guys, did you know that there's some game between the Red Sox and the Yankees tomorrow? FOX keeps mentioning it like it's some sort of holiday, so I take it's like gonna be the greatest game in the history of the sport, right?