TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The ALCS: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox

This might upset AS here but I believe the Yankees should gut the team

stopped reading. Gutting a team assures nothing but losing for several years/

What do you call the last couple of years?

Let's face it. The Yankees are FUBARed with the current roster of mega-millionaires. Best gut the fish NOW and restock with the fact that it's better to gut now and get it over with than to piss away additional years with a belief that things will magically get better on their own by way of tossing around money before you have no choice whatsoever to rebuild when all of your "stars" are worthless and/or crippled....

Guest LooneyTune

Losing an ALCS isn't pulling a 2003 Detroit Tigers and losing 119 games in the regular season.

I'm kinda shocked that with a team with maybe a few All-Stars, they won multiple World Series', but with hulking monsters and all-stars galore, they can't. We all know the answer....bring Joe Girardi, Paul O'Neill, Wade Boggs, Chuck Knoblauch, David Cone, Daryl Strawberry, and everyone else out of retirement.

Guest Anglesault
This might upset AS here but I believe the Yankees should gut the team

stopped reading. Gutting a team assures nothing but losing for several years/

What do you call the last couple of years?

Years where we always had a shot.

This is just a question that occured to me. If Steinbrenner actually reduced the payroll to a reasonable level, say second or third in the league:

1) How much worse would the Yankees be

and

2) How long before the fans got sick of it, and he stopped bringing in the insane amounts of money that allow him to do what he does.

Guest Anglesault
This is just a question that occured to me. If Steinbrenner actually reduced the payroll to a reasonable level, say second or third in the league:

1) How much worse would the Yankees be

It depends on who you're cutting. And I really don't see who the current payroll hurts.

2) How long before the fans got sick of it, and he stopped bringing in the insane amounts of money that allow him to do what he does.

If he rebuilds and puts out the shitfest that people in this thread are demanding, I'd say a little over a year.

I was talking to a Yanks fan that I work with, who truly believed that the Diamondbacks would trade Randy Johnson straight up for Jason Giambi.

I still giggle everytime I think about it.

The only player that has value, imo is Vazquez, who I think underperformed because of the insane pressure put onto him with the huge contract and the fact that he plays in New York. He could bring in a player or two, if someone is dumb enough to take his huge contract.

I'm wishing that the rest of the owners refuse any trades with the Yanks and watch Cashman and the rest of his goons try to fix the problems that they have without getting anyone in return.

Guest Anglesault
The only player that has value, imo is Vazquez, who I think underperformed because of the insane pressure .

The what?

All anyone wanted out of the guy was that he didn't fuck everything to hell and become the new Weaver. Mussina, Brown and Contreras were *supposed* to carry the load while Javy developed into an ace.

Read the rest of the post:

the insane pressure put onto him with the huge contract and the fact that he plays in New York.

Sorry, but paying someone that kind of money to "develop into an ace" is laughable.

Guest Anglesault
Read the rest of the post:

the insane pressure put onto him with the huge contract and the fact that he plays in New York.

Sorry, but paying someone that kind of money to "develop into an ace" is laughable.

That's what they were doing. If he turned into THIS because he didn't think the number threeish guy should be getting that money, he's a fucktard.

Vazquez wasn't brought here to be numero uno in his first year.

And people really need to get over the New York jitters. It's no longer cute.

The Yankees featured poor center field defense all year. I have to think part of Javy's problem were fly balls that landed in the outfield. Picking up Beltran would really pick up his stats.

Guest Anglesault
The Yankees featured poor center field defense all year.

No centerfielder can be expected to run through a wall and catch a gopher ball.

And honestly, unlike Weaver, I don't remember him giving up alot of hits. He just happened to let people on base, one way or another, and give up a homerun.

Vazquez gave up 33 home runs. That's alot, but not insane. He gave up 28 last year, and posted a 3.28 ERA along the way. His component ERA was 4.26, so bad luck makes his season look even worse. His peripherals aren't bad, outside of the home run rate. He's not an ace, but I think he will bounce back and be a serviceable 2-3 starter next season.

Vazquez gave up 33 home runs. That's alot, but not insane. He gave up 28 last year, and posted a 3.28 ERA along the way. His component ERA was 4.26, so bad luck makes his season look even worse. His peripherals aren't bad, outside of the home run rate. He's not an ace, but I think he will bounce back and be a serviceable 2-3 starter next season.

But I'd have to say atleast half the HRs he gave up were in the first inning, which put us in a hole. After that, he'd either falter and come out after two innings, or pitch perfect for the next 6.

It seemed impossible for him to pitch an entire good game.

I'm kinda shocked that with a team with maybe a few All-Stars, they won multiple World Series', but with hulking monsters and all-stars galore, they can't.

That '98 team may have had a lot of "merely solid" players like Scott Brosius and Chuck Knoblauch, but there wasn't a single hole on that team. That roster was solid from 1 to 25.

Guest Anglesault

Somewhat funny story. I was at Yankee Stadium early in the season with some friends, and the A-Rod craze was in full swing. Anyway, we were in the new Yankee Shop in the front of the Stadium, when we saw the A-Rod bobblehead dolls. Except, upon closer inspection, they were quite obviously Scott Brosius dolls with number 13 and "A-Rod" written on them.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

dear Yankees:

please trade us Javy Vazquez. He's obviously overrated and overpaid and it would be addition by subtraction. Remember how we helped you out by taking Contreras? We'll even throw in Jon Garland, a future star.

just trying to help,

love White Sox.

Can anybody tell me a worse week in NY sports history?

Yankees lose to the Sox and choke, Knicks lose three pre season games by a total of 82 points, and the Jets and Giants both lose.

Doesn't Konerko play first base?

How about Giambi and Javy for Konerko Freddy Garcia?

That would rip the White Sox off...

I can see why you'd like to make it. Get this:

Giambi is the Yanks responsibility.

Yankees lose to the Sox and choke, Knicks lose three pre season games by a total of 82 points, and the Jets and Giants both lose.

The preseason games are meaningless, and the Giants and Jets are regular season. There's got to be another one somewhere.

Javy's salvageable. But there is NO CHANCE the Yankees will get rid of Jason Giambi, without eating 80-90% of his contract.

Guest GreatOne

Hey at least the Rangers and Isles didn't lose :D

Although New York did lose to Boston twice in a week in kinda important games.

The preseason games are meaningless, and the Giants and Jets are regular season. There's got to be another one somewhere.

Javy's salvageable. But there is NO CHANCE the Yankees will get rid of Jason Giambi, without eating 80-90% of his contract.

I know that.

I just want Giambi gone. Hell, I bet the Mets would take him.

Giambi for Glavine, straight up~!

Al, do you think theres a way to get rid of Brown?

It is the same problem with Toronto and Eric Hinske, taken to an extreme level because the Yanks have this problem with much of the team. You can't trade them, because they are being paid far more than what they are worth. Unless you eat the contract, and what is the point in paying a guy to play somewhere else?

Aside from free agents they are pretty much stuck. It is the ultimate flaw with the way the Yanks build their team. If something goes wrong, there is NO backup plan.

Guest Anglesault

What do you think the Yankees should do for firstbase next year? (assuming Bernie will become a fulltime DH, and Giambi will be hit by a comet just as he's ready to come back)

What do you think the Yankees should do for firstbase next year? (assuming Bernie will become a fulltime DH, and Giambi will be hit by a comet just as he's ready to come back)

Has there ever been consideration of playing Bernie at 1B? The Yankees are so good up the middle with A-Rod, Jeter and possibly Beltran that they don't need a big bat at first base. Anyone who can play the bag at first is fine, since offense is a low priority for this club.