TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Halo 2 leaked

Pirated version of Halo 2 widely available online

Microsoft's biggest Xbox release for 2004 has been leaked to the Internet; surfaces on file-sharing sites. Company stands by official November 9 release date.

Late last night, 27 days before its officially scheduled retail release, a complete version of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter Halo 2 was leaked to the Internet. The pirated release, a PAL version of the game with French-language dialogue, is currently making its way around various Usenet newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks.

In a statement that Microsoft is sending only to media outlets that request comment, it admits the game "has been posted to various newsgroups and web sites."

While Microsoft says it is "currently investigating the source of this leak with the appropriate authorities," there has been no word on precisely where or how the game originally surfaced at this time, although Microsoft says it is actively tracing the leak. "Microsoft takes the integrity of its intellectual property extremely seriously, and we are aggressively pursuing the source of this illegal act."

It should be noted that players who download the game illegally could face a maximum penalty of $100,000 per instance for copyright violations. "We consider downloading this code or making it available for others to download as theft," the statement continues.

Halo 2, which continues the adventures of Master Chief with an all-new single-player adventure, as well as Xbox Live support for Internet-based multiplayer, is scheduled to hit retail shelves on November 9--a date that Microsoft says "remains unaffected."

By Staff -- GameSpot

POSTED: 10/14/04 01:23 AM PST

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/14/news_6110539.html

Guest MikeSC

I fucking hate pirates. I'd kill for them to suffer the harshest penalty possible.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
They ain't actually that big of a deal. EDIT: And to get worried about kids stealing video games to the point of 'hating them' is just showing that you aren't worrying enough about important things.

Nope --- just shows an utter disdain for theft.

-=Mike

1) It's in French. What good is that to most people here?

2) It's in PAL format, which won't run on NTSC TV's.

3) The BT site it was on took down the torrent in about ten minutes.

I just don't want the little fuckers spoiling the game for those of us that will buy it.

Guest Evolution
I just don't want the little fuckers spoiling the game for those of us that will buy it.

That's the only problem I have with it as well, since I actually pre-ordered the collector's edition.

Guest Vitamin X
Pirated version of Halo 2 widely available online

Microsoft's biggest Xbox release for 2004 has been leaked to the Internet; surfaces on file-sharing sites. Company stands by official November 9 release date.

Late last night, 27 days before its officially scheduled retail release, a complete version of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter Halo 2 was leaked to the Internet. The pirated release, a PAL version of the game with French-language dialogue, is currently making its way around various Usenet newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks.

Oui oui, Master Chief!

They ain't actually that big of a deal. EDIT: And to get worried about kids stealing video games to the point of 'hating them' is just showing that you aren't worrying enough about important things.

-=Mike

Didn't you download F9/11?

Guest Vitamin X

Every thread outside of CE with Mike in it usually becomes a Moore thread one way or another, it seems.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Didn't you download F9/11?

Moore actually said he approved of that. Downloaded him saying that as well.

-=Mike

...If MSoft said they approved of the DL, it wouldn't be an issue.

Guest MikeSC
Every thread outside of CE with Mike in it usually becomes a Moore thread one way or another, it seems.

Don't blame me for that.

-=Mike

I fucking hate pirates. I'd kill for them to suffer the harshest penalty possible.

-=Mike

you need a life man. Even if you haven't ever downloaded an mp3 before,which i highly doubt I'm sure a close friend or family member has, and you'd KILL to see them get the harshest sentence possible.

Killing to prevent petty theft, honorable.

Guest MikeSC
Piracy is piracy.

Not if the source claims he WANTS you to do so. Which Tubby did...

-=Mike

-=Mike

So, if Bungie posted on their forums or news page "Hey, we've already set up the Live servers and they're ready to go! Go download and enjoy the leaked Halo 2!" you'd jump on it without giving second thought that it might be a trap?

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

So, if Bungie posted on their forums or news page "Hey, we've already set up the Live servers and they're ready to go! Go download and enjoy the leaked Halo 2!" you'd jump on it without giving second thought that it might be a trap?

If Bungie said they didn't care, I wouldn't care if anybody DL'd it. Would serve them right for being dumb.

-=Mike

Good, Microsoft will probably go bankrupt now.

Unfortunately for you Halo 2 may end up being one of the highest selling games ever in a matter of days/weeks. A leaked game isnt going to be enough to put any sort of signifigant dent in Mcrosofts profits. Everyone with an x Box has pretty much pre-ordered and/or paid for the game already.

Guest Vitamin X
Good, Microsoft will probably go bankrupt now.

Unfortunately for you Halo 2 may end up being one of the highest selling games ever in a matter of days/weeks. A leaked game isnt going to be enough to put any sort of signifigant dent in Mcrosofts profits. Everyone with an x Box has pretty much pre-ordered and/or paid for the game already.

Errr, I think he was being sarcastic.

Oh, and I own an Xbox and I've given a straight "fuck you" to Halo 1 and 2. Maybe I'll buy the 2nd one in the future sometime down the road (probably when I get Xbox Live) and I beat about half of the 1st one on a rental, but I don't own it.

I've actually spent my time playing the ESPN games (NFL2k5 and NBA2k5) and Fable, which despite what everyone's been saying, is pretty damn fun. I suppose it's a disappointment to those who have been waiting for the game forever, but I didn't even know about it till the beginning of this year, possibly the end of last year.