TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Did anyone catch Jon Stewart

You mean to say you guys didn't think it was funny? Hmmmm. Wonder why?

I can't stand Tucker Carlson or Paul Begala personally. I just am finding Stewart to be as obnoxious as them.

-=Mike

Does this mean you DON'T wear a bowtie? I'm so disappointed.

:(

Guest GreatOne
You mean to say you guys didn't think it was funny? Hmmmm. Wonder why?

What exactly was Stewart trying to prove?

Let's see:

'WAA, ALL YOU DO IS ARGUE'. It's a debate show, genius, they're allowed.

'YOU CAUSE DISSERVICE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'. By? For fuck's sake what does he think that people watch Crossfire to get their news?

Hell other than secure facetime, what did he achieve?

His point was that it's not a debate show. It's a dick-waving shouting match, like just about all the other pundit-loaded politics-fests that the cable networks use to pad out news coverage. Begala and Carlson baffled, just sitting there, is a fantastic image.

His point was that it's not a debate show. It's a dick-waving shouting match, like just about all the other pundit-loaded politics-fests that the cable networks use to pad out news coverage. Begala and Carlson baffled, just sitting there, is a fantastic image.

Exactly.

Guest GreatOne

Oh I forgot let's ask Mr. Genius 'Oh my comic career's DOA so guess I'm turning to politics' (Stewart in this case) how a debate show should be run.

Hell if he's so against the 'dick-waving shouting match', you think he'd have put his money where his mouth is and said no go. And not exactly setting the example by decrying somebody else for 'dick-waving and shouting' when he's essentially doing the same thing.

Guest MikeSC

He was invited for a reason and he betrayed them.

Stewart is just O'Reilly with better jokes.

Thanks, but no thanks. Hell, even Dennis Miller avoided the ego that Stewart has developed this year. Apparently, he was unaware of the reason Kerry talked to him before any of the rest of the media (namely, he asks bigger softball questions than Larry King) and thought it meant he was relevant.

-=Mike

...It should also be noted how shitty a job he did interviewing Kerry --- so, when given the chance to be a real journalist, he tanked...

Oh I forgot let's ask Mr. Genius 'Oh my comic career's DOA so guess I'm turning to politics' (Stewart in this case) how a debate show should be run.

Hell if he's so against the 'dick-waving shouting match', you think he'd have put his money where his mouth is and said no go. And not exactly setting the example by decrying somebody else for 'dick-waving and shouting' when he's essentially doing the same thing.

DOA? The guy has a book, a TV show and has done several movies in the last couple of years? DOA? Please. The complaint was about CROSSFIRE! Show them the folly of their ways! They didn't listen and neither do you G.O.

Said no go? He's pointing out that the highly partisan blather that the commentators spit out is retarded. Right to their faces, to the audience that's watching them. What better venue than showing up to the show when invited?

Stewart wasn't doing the same thing that they do. I can't believe you're actually trying to defend political talking head shows. What service do they render to anyone except people who don't care to find out about issues by paying attention to the news?

Guest MikeSC

Said no go? He's pointing out that the highly partisan blather that the commentators spit out is retarded. Right to their faces, to the audience that's watching them. What better venue than showing up to the show when invited?

Stewart wasn't doing the same thing that they do. I can't believe you're actually trying to defend political talking head shows. What service do they render to anyone except people who don't care to find out about issues by paying attention to the news?

And what benefit does Stewart's show bring to the populace? A well-written show hosted by an egomaniac?

-=Mike

It's often funny as shit, though it's fallen a bit since Stephen Colbert has begun to contribute less frequently. It's entertainment. The fact that it's on Comedy Central should tip you off to that. Shit like Crossfire or Hannity and Colmes pass themselves off as being important to political discourse and the dissemination of news. Apples and, shit, not even oranges. Fucking potatoes, man.

And what benefit does Stewart's show bring to the populace? A well-written show hosted by an egomaniac?

-=Mike

A COMEDY SHOW! One that makes people laugh! Better than a show that muddies the politcal discourse. Cuz the talking head shows aren't really funny HA HA. Embarrassing mostly.

Does anyone know where I can watch it w/o dling Torrent. IFilms is sooooooooo slow.

Thanks.

And GreatOne- Stewart's career has never been DOA. He's hotter then he's ever been

Does anyone know where I can watch it w/o dling Torrent. IFilms is sooooooooo slow.

Thanks.

And GreatOne- Stewart's career has never been DOA. He's hotter then he's ever been

I posted a link on the 1st page Bob.

Guest MikeSC
It's often funny as shit, though it's fallen a bit since Stephen Colbert has begun to contribute less frequently. It's entertainment. The fact that it's on Comedy Central should tip you off to that. Shit like Crossfire or Hannity and Colmes pass themselves off as being important to political discourse and the dissemination of news. Apples and, shit, not even oranges. Fucking potatoes, man.

They are hosted by pundits whose job is to espouse OPINIONS. His bitching would be comparable to me bitching about Golf Channel.

It was simply Stewart taking the opportunity to wave his dick to the public.

-=Mike

...Stewart is no different than the guys he bitches about...

They are hosted by pundits whose job is to espouse OPINIONS. His bitching would be comparable to me bitching about Golf Channel.

-=Mike

And it's a stupid job. Like Stewart said, it would be wonderful if they actually debated. But they don't. Begala takes some anti-Bush piece and runs with it, and Carlson hits him with a zinger. Then, holy shit, Carlson rants about something and it's BEGALA'S TURN for a zinger. There is no give and take, nor discussion of the issues. It gets even worse when they bring on a guest, because then you've got four people shouting instead of two.

The worst pundit shows misrepresent facts and present their opinions as something worth considering in your political viewpoint. They are tremendously disingenous. Stewart's show is fake news. They tell jokes and make fun of stuff, and that's about it.

Guest Brian

And worst thing is, is he accepts that it's a joke show. So people expect him to be a "real reporter" when Kerry comes on.

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831

Go there to ifilm they have it posted.

Stewart schooled both those guys. He called Carlson a dick to his face and he took it like a bitch. He even laughed it off like it didn't happen. He went on sombody elses show and told them straight up it sucks. How often do you get to see that. The CNN dolts stepped in it on this one. Its all good though. This is what happens to the news stations now that they all wanna be part of the story rather just report it. Crossfires ad rates just went to shit.

Thanks John. Thank you.

Yea- ifilm is sooooooooooo slow for me right now.

It keeps buffering.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

And it's a stupid job. Like Stewart said, it would be wonderful if they actually debated. But they don't. Begala takes some anti-Bush piece and runs with it, and Carlson hits him with a zinger. Then, holy shit, Carlson rants about something and it's BEGALA'S TURN for a zinger. There is no give and take, nor discussion of the issues. It gets even worse when they bring on a guest, because then you've got four people shouting instead of two.

The worst pundit shows misrepresent facts and present their opinions as something worth considering in your political viewpoint. They are tremendously disingenous. Stewart's show is fake news. They tell jokes and make fun of stuff, and that's about it.

Stewart's rant was as mind-numbingly moronic as the crap spewed out by P. Diddy. For a man who was once a clever comic, it was a really sad performance.

-=Mike

...He has bought into his own hype --- and nobody will dare call him on it, so it'll only get worse...

MikeSC/Greatone, don't you see that you're kind of in the minority here?

I think Stewart is a little irate that the Daily Show asks tougher questions than some of the crossfire shows.

Instead of asking "what do you think GO!" he brings up points, he brings up issues. Then he makes a funny voice and adjusts his tie. But The Daily Show is still more probing than some "news" shows, and that's laughable.

Guest GreatOne

I didn't know that I was supposed to give a rat's ass..................

But The Daily Show is still more probing than some "news" shows, and that's laughable.

That a show on an MTV-cadre network makes a pathetic attempt to be 'about the issues' is laughable, agreed.

Guest MikeSC

I could care less. The man has bought into his own hype. If others opt to not recognize it, so be it.

I think Stewart is a little irate that the Daily Show asks tougher questions than some of the crossfire shows.

Um, only to people of a specific political idealogy. I won't mention which one. Again, Kerry went there for a reason.

Instead of asking "what do you think GO!" he brings up points, he brings up issues.  Then he makes a funny voice and adjusts his tie.  But The Daily Show is still more probing than some "news" shows, and that's laughable.

What points did he bring up? "Crossfire" was hurting America? Jesus, that's something I'd have been too embarrassed to say back in high school. Issues? Hardly.

Stewart wants to be a "journalist" --- but he will always fall back on his "it's a big ol' joke show" whenever anybody asks him about it. He wants to be taken seriously, but falls back to "I tell jokes" whenever somebody actually does so.

-=Mike

You seem to be uh, ignoring the fact that his show is, in fact, on COMEDY CENTRAL. His show is the equivilant of a late night TV show. Crossfire, Hannity, etc. are supposed to be serious, to parrot what everyone else in this thread has said. He isn't supposed to be any harder on guests than, say, Jay Leno.

Stewart is just O'Reilly with better jokes.

Stewart isn't an O'Reilly show, he's a show that makes fun of the constants on an O'Reilly show. His show is not news or politics, it's a parody of what the news is doing, which right now is heavy on the politics. If the news was talking about 15 year olds pretending to be 13 year olds in little league again, he'd be making jokes about that.

Apparently, he was unaware of the reason Kerry talked to him before any of the rest of the media (namely, he asks bigger softball questions than Larry King)

This is like complaining that SNL's "Weekend Update" doesn't ask the hard questions. Look at what the hell you're watching and you'll see why.

Guest macheteofodin

He wasn't saying Crossfire is solely responsible for "hurting America." He was saying news shows that act as a podium for partisan spinners are responsible. Not just the "liberals." Not just the "conservatives." EVERYBODY. It's the same stubborn mentality that makes reading posts in this section of the board UNBEARABLE (I like the pain...haha). How can anyone not see the problem Stewart is talking about? He is NOT a news man. He is a comedian on a fake news show. It's called PARODY. Of all the years the Daily Show has been on, I've seen, maybe, one or two serious interviews. That's the point. Comedy Show about how ridiculous news coverage is in this country on Comedy Central. Some people think that is a crutch that Jon Stewart is leaning on and they think that makes him any less valid to criticize the media. That's the whole purpose of his show. Criticize the bullshit we are fed from Politicians, "News People," and the Partisan "Hacks" (as he called them). Once again I echo: How can anyone see this and not agree with what Stewart is saying? It's not his responsibility to "put his money where his mouth is." It's the responsibility of the REAL NEWS GROUPS to do that.

I could care less. The man has bought into his own hype. If others opt to not recognize it, so be it.

Um, only to people of a specific political idealogy. I won't mention which one. Again, Kerry went there for a reason.

Instead of asking "what do you think GO!" he brings up points, he brings up issues.  Then he makes a funny voice and adjusts his tie.  But The Daily Show is still more probing than some "news" shows, and that's laughable.

What points did he bring up? "Crossfire" was hurting America? Jesus, that's something I'd have been too embarrassed to say back in high school. Issues? Hardly.

Stewart wants to be a "journalist" --- but he will always fall back on his "it's a big ol' joke show" whenever anybody asks him about it. He wants to be taken seriously, but falls back to "I tell jokes" whenever somebody actually does so.

-=Mike

Journalist eh? Yeah, I must being missing those "in depth" reports on The Daily Show. Did see plenty of parody and satire though. Yanno, on the COMEDY channel!

So when he went on something OTHER than the comedy channel he got serious. He spoke to the crossfire guys seriously. When they exposed themselves for the jokes that they ARE, how they contribute NOTHING to the discourse, he let them have it. Good.

If any of you can find it, look up Nader on Crossfire, something like a year ago when he crushes Novac and Carvell on the 2000 election. It's awesome.

Guest MikeSC
You seem to be uh, ignoring the fact that his show is, in fact, on COMEDY CENTRAL. His show is the equivilant of a late night TV show. Crossfire, Hannity, etc. are supposed to be serious, to parrot what everyone else in this thread has said. He isn't supposed to be any harder on guests than, say, Jay Leno.

And he bitches that the hosts of Crossfire aren't journalists when that is not their job. Their show is solely entertainment. Always has been.

That Stewart doesn't know that is sad --- but I suppose he has less time to study things while busily reading his press clippings.

-=Mike

if their show is entertainment, why didnt they take advantage of the million times Stewart defended his show as such by saying "Yeah, well so is ours."

They didn't because they'd love to claim that they actually ask real questions to get real newsworthy quotes. The fact that they dont is the only funny thing about your so called entertainment show.