TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mandarin

Wrestling as a career

Guest A Rabid Horse
1. rolling around with men in their tights, some of whom like to grabass because they are gay.

What is it with you and gayness?

He's insecure about his homosexuality and doesn't want to accidentally get turned on in the ring and act upon repressed urges in public that'd lose him his social life.

:headbang:

I always had when I was a kid, watching Hogan and Bret Hart on WWF tv. It started to become a realistic dream around 14, I began working out and found a local wrestling school when I was 16.

Two problems arose: McMahon screwing Bret, who I legit idolized growing up. I vowed never to work for him. I figured WCW would still be around, and ECW would always be around.

Also, my folks would have needed to sign a waiver till I was 18. They refused, and the wait, coupled with the demise of ECW basically ended that run.

Im noticable skinnier now, i basically stopped working out at that point. The backyard has decimated my knees and back, but, at least college drinking has returned my weight 15 pounds back.

My buddy ran an indy fed for about a year, so I definitely appreciate what goes on at shows and the work involved, for both backstage and in ring stuff. Im not saying I could have made it, but now golf has become a pretty realistic career too.

:cheers:

I've thought about the FWA academy myself (the one run by Alex Shane, although there's another one in Britain that the name of escapes me currently), at least in a few years time. Once I have money and an education to fall back on. Until then it's a pipe dream. Plus I'm not exactly in wrestling shape at the moment, with a knee problem.

Being a color commentator or reporter, maybe even wrestling journalist, is my main aspiration at the moment though. Refereeing was another as that seems quite a hoot, whilst also being an important part of matches. But again, that'd take going through wrestling school and the like. Trouble is knowing what to do to get a spot and how to go about it. Seems like most commentators in recent years (in big time promotions anyway) are ex-wrestlers as it is.

Not really

See:

Jim Ross

Michael Cole

Todd Grisham

Jonathan Coachman

Mike Tenay

Jeremy Borash

Mark Madden

Scott Hudson

Tony Schiavone

Don West

Marc Lloyd

etc

etc

etc

Well, I was talking color guys (the Lawlers, Heenans and Jesses) rather than play by play guys (i.e Cole, JR, Schiavone).

:headbang:

Every sporting event(for argument's sake, let's call wrestling a sport) has an announcer and a colour commentator.

In almost every case, the announcer is a broadcasting graduate( or something along those lines) who loves the sport he calls, and the colour commentator is a former athlete.

Wrestling- Jim Ross(announcer) Lawler(ex wrestler), Cole(broadcaster) Tazz(ex wrestler)

Golf, for example, on CBS, has Jim Nantz host, and Davd Feherty, Gary Mccord, Peter Oosetrhuis and Bill Macatee are all ex golfers.

To quote Seinfeld:

"Maybe I could be an announcer or a colour man"

"They tend to give those jobs to ex ball players, and people, you know, in broadcasting".

:cheers: