TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pochorenella

Star Wars Episode III teaser description w/ poster

Jar Jar Binks ruined the 1st movie for me. Too much lovey dovey crap ruined the second one for me although the battle scenes were a great way to make it up.

As bad as Episode 1 may have been it was still Star Wars and therefore I loved it at the time. It gets worse with each viewing but I still like it. Anakin was such a piece of shit and so was Jar Jar.

Guest cpac

And to think that Haley Joel Osmett or however you spell his name auditioned for the role of the young annakin skywalker. Yet Jake Lloyd gets it. Just shows you that Star Wars gets some of the worst actors for the recent series.

That Haley Joel Osment kid could be playing a grown up Vader as far as I'm concerned, he's a terrific actor IMO. The thing is he was too well known at the time and I think Lucas favors mostly unknowns or not that well-known actors. At least that's how I see it.

And everybody craps on Christensen's acting, yet I do remember him being nominated for one of those major awards (Emmy or Golden Globe) for his work in "The Glass House" if I'm not mistaken. So he's not that bad an actor, but I do agree he's maybe wrongly directed here.

Hayden's problem is he is in a love angle with a woman he considers his little sister. It's kinda hard to act like you are in love with a girl who you think of as family.

Lucas dropped the ball there. Course, Lucas has been dropping the ball left and right with this series.

You people do realize that every person in the cast is a tremendous actor, right? Lucas directs a theater style on film for some reason I'll never understand, and it hasn't translated well since the original trilogy. Seriously, watch Ep 4 and the watch Ep 2. It's the directing style, not the actors.

He's like the coach who calls in all the plays and doesn't let the QB freelance. And if he's directing theater-style, it's still not all that good.

And everybody craps on Christensen's acting, yet I do remember him being nominated for one of those major awards (Emmy or Golden Globe) for his work in "The Glass House" if I'm not mistaken. So he's not that bad an actor, but I do agree he's maybe wrongly directed here.

Macgregor and Portman have alluded, but don't admit to, sleepwalking through their roles when interviewed for other movies, so I think the directing style isn't as good as it could be. Plus I'd think that all bluescreen, all the time could be distracting for the actors (although it didn't seem to affect the ones in Sky Captain). But by this point I've accepted that the acting in Star Wars has never been - nor will it ever be - stellar, so from here on out I will try and shut up about the acting, unless we're talking about Lloyd or Jar Jar.

although it didn't seem to affect the ones in Sky Captain

Come to think of it, Jude Law would make an excellent Anakin Skywalker.

I don't have any real concern with AOTC. In many ways it is a better film than ROTJ. The acting is bad in all of the films, but the prequels lack that one standout actor that has enough charisma to suck in the audience whereas the originals had Harrison Ford. These films miss his presence a lot (not that I want Ford back, but it is missing something). Dooku is a decent enough villain.

TPM is more flawed. Largely because they insist on focusing on lame duck characters like Qui-Gon Jinn, Jar-Jar and Amidala rather than the ones that people paid to see, namely Anakin, Obi-Wan and to a lesser extent Yoda. Anakin is portrayed as more whiny and lucky than talented and the other two are shoved off into a side role and are missing for large chunks of the film.

Plus I'd think that all bluescreen, all the time could be distracting for the actors

I read an article about the prequel movies a while back, and they had an interview with Terence Stamp. He was talking about shooting a dialog scene involving himself and Natalie Portman. So he gets to the set, and Natalie Portman has been replaced by a stick with a ball atop it, and of course, they're against a blue-screen background. When Stamp asked where his costar for the scene was, Lucas said they'd film her part later -- presumably with her talking to a stick, too -- and just merge them together to make the scene.

Do I need to expound on how *ridiculous* that is?

Stamp should have protested more. I would've marked out if the conversation had gone:

Stamp: Where's Natalie?

Lucas: Oh, we're going to film her part of the scene later. In the meantime, you can read your lines to that stick up there.

Stamp: WTF?

Lucas: Hey, I'm a genius. You were in The Limey, fer Chrissakes. Just talk to the stick so I can go jerk off to some more unnecessary CGI footage.

Stamp: I demand a human co-star for this scene. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD~!

If you watch the documentary on the original trilogy DVDs, the actors tehre talk about George's directing style quite a bit, about how he just kinda wants you to say the line and get on with it, not giving much direction.

Still, really good can overcome that. Liam Neeson in Ep1 and Ewan in Ep2 managed to inject some humanity and warmth into their characters.

True story:

Liam Neeson wanted to add some depth to Qui-Gon Jin on Tatooine, so he asks Lucas if he can approach his scenes with Shmi Skywalker like they made love the night before. Lucas looks at him, thinks for a second, and says, "Okay, I guess. Sure," before adding, "But do it faster, more intense!".

I didn't notice it until just now, but add to Lucas allowing it the fact that in the next movie, his script states that a Jedi can never love. Sure, Qui-Gon is the rogueish Jedi, but come on.

Guest Vitamin X
True story:

Liam Neeson wanted to add some depth to Qui-Gon Jin on Tatooine, so he asks Lucas if he can approach his scenes with Shmi Skywalker like they made love the night before. Lucas looks at him, thinks for a second, and says, "Okay, I guess. Sure," before adding, "But do it faster, more intense!".

INTENSE~