TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

I also agree that Griffey and Graves are just draining salary for Cincy and should get rid of both. The Reds could do better by just trading them.

Yeah, but who is going to trade for Griffey? Not to mention, who is going to want to risk giving up good, young players for a player with a contract he may not be able to fulfill because of injuries?

Honestly, the best thing for Griffey would be to head to the New York Yankees and play DH for them. A position where he would not be required to do much of anything cept swing his bat and walk the bases.

I'd say Boston but they have a DH.

Bernie Williams will be set at DH, if the Yankees sign Carlos Beltran.

I thought Bernie was retiring at the end of this season?

And Bernie will need days off, they could easily rotate Griffey and Bernie.

Ken Griffey Jr as a starting center fielder is over and done. His body cannot play every day. He needs to get into the AL DH role and just accept his fate.

He's probably going to retire at the end of 2005, when his contract is up. But I really hope the reason the Yanks go over 200 million dollars in payroll, isn't because of Ken Griffey Jr.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

It will be almost impossible to unload Junior unless a team has cheap prospects they want to dump to add a draw and a bat to their team.

NNY won't take him since they will have Beltran and Bernie in the respective positions(if Steinbrener's plans go as desired) and hasn't Junior always been against the idea of playing for NNY? Would Seattle take him back?

I don't think playing CF is a issue, 3 of his 4 injuries I believe were caused by running the bases.

It'll have to be a young team with money to eat and are willing to take the money hit just for the appeal of a 500 HR hitter and future HOFer and idealistic to believe it was all mental problems causing the injuries.

as for Graves, I'd say keep him. Does he suck? yes but if we had a more capable Bullpen, he wouldn't been in line to blow so many saves, Closers save for the elite like Smoltz, Foulke and Gagne are inherantly meaningless. However, if a team is attracted to the # of saves Graves has had and are willing to take him, we shouldn't hesitate to dump him because a good-decent closer isn't hard to establish if you got a strong bullpen.

Sign 2-3 good bullpen pitchers, make a run at a legit starter like Paul Byrd, Jaret Wright or someone who would be a #4 starter for the Sox or Yankees and can be our #2. Find a real set of infielders and I can live with bringing Pokey back, we had atrocious defense last year when Larkin was benched. We don't need offensive pop, we have that with Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Jr(when he's alive) and Casey.

I'm still holding prayers that Linder opens his wallet and realizes "Holy shit, I have this much money? Put me down for Pedro and Pavano and throw in a little side of Nomar for me". Not going to happen though.

Guest Anglesault
Honestly, the best thing for Griffey would be to head to the New York Yankees and play DH for them.

Griffey holds a grudge against a guy who's been dead for fifteen years (although he refuses to say that) so he'd never come here.

Honestly, the best thing for Griffey would be to head to the New York Yankees and play DH for them.

Griffey holds a grudge against a guy who's been dead for fifteen years (although he refuses to say that) so he'd never come here.

One final chance to get a ring and save your dying career changes the opinions of lots of players.

New York is still a prime place to go if you want a shot at a ring. I admit it and I hate the Yankees.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

He could go to Anaheim if that's the case.

NNY aren't the "GO TO GET RING" team anymore. They have been caught up with by other teams.

According to ESPN insider - the Phillies are prepared to do whatever it takes to sign Carlos Beltran.

Take that with a grain of salt.

According to ESPN insider - the Phillies are prepared to do whatever it takes to sign Carlos Beltran.

Take that with a grain of salt.

Well, he could solve the problem in centerfield, not to mention he'd be hitting in a hitter's park and playing for a probable contender.

Anyone see this article on Sosa, criticizing the Cubs? He basically said he was humiliated by being put into the sixth slot. He's not a sixth hitter, he claims, he's a cleanup hitter and by hitting "600" homers, he's earned that right. Whatever, I say he humiliated himself with most of his at-bats in 2004.

He says he plans to play for another five or six years and is going to hit 35 homers each season. It's becoming harder and harder not to feel embarrassed for this fallen superstar. I sorta hope the Cubs unload him, since it's becoming clear he's going to pull a Nomar and remain jaded about past events.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Griffey's the kind of talent the Mets cream themselves over, old and over the hill.

Guest Anglesault

One final chance to get a ring and save your dying career changes the opinions of lots of players.

New York is still a prime place to go if you want a shot at a ring. I admit it and I hate the Yankees.

You're applying rational thought to a man who holds a grudge against a guy who's been dead longer than the Soviet Union.

And on top of that, he refuses to admit as much.

You're applying rational thought to a man who holds a grudge against a guy who's been dead longer than the Soviet Union.

And on top of that, he refuses to admit as much.

Good Point.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Like I said; he can go to the Mets where formerly talented players go to die.

Guest Anglesault

Can they get Sosa and Griffey?

And I'd kind of like to see if Manny could avoid the curse of the Mets

I laughed when the Mets starting showing interest in Sosa.

Why? They've got money to blow and Sosa's still capable of putting the asses in the seats. He's not the big name in Chicago anymore, but he'd be a draw in New York.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Why? They've got money to blow and Sosa's still capable of putting the asses in the seats. He's not the big name in Chicago anymore, but he'd be a draw in New York.

It's just funny that when he has a horrible season the Mets start showing interest in him. It's typical of them to do that.

Guest MikeSC

The Phillies seem to fit that bill, too.

-=Mike

So where do you guys think Mark Grudzielanek will land?

I think he should just retire. Most thought he was done before he got traded, anyway.

Did anyone happen to look where Grudzielanek's stats ended up? 307/347/432. He's not great, but he'll give you league average offense, and not every team has that.

Big names get you in truoble like that. Bring in a player to your big market team who can produce, and he will become a star. Besides, why should the Mets target Ramirez or Sosa when J.D. Drew is available, for less? Drew has had injury problems, but he can't be more injury prone than an aging Sosa.

So where do you guys think Mark Grudzielanek will land?

I think he should just retire. Most thought he was done before he got traded, anyway.

Did anyone happen to look where Grudzielanek's stats ended up? 307/347/432. He's not great, but he'll give you league average offense, and not every team has that.

I think those numbers are a bit deceiving since he missed a good two months of the season. Give him a full season and he'll show you what he's all about.

Big names get you in truoble like that. Bring in a player to your big market team who can produce, and he will become a star. Besides, why should the Mets target Ramirez or Sosa when J.D. Drew is available, for less? Drew has had injury problems, but he can't be more injury prone than an aging Sosa.

Because they're the Mets and they make stupid moves like bringing in Sosa.