TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

From Gammons latest article:

"Tampa Bay is trying to clear salary and shopping SS Julio Lugo, 1B-OF Aubrey Huff, OF Jose Cruz, closer Danys Baez and C Toby Hall. Lugo is a fine player, but his domestic abuse issue in Houston is scaring off teams such as Boston."

Whoever had Tampa selling off anyone talented, when they approach a decent payday, in the pool gets to collect. Guess it is a push since everyone went that way.

I could go for a move of Abreu to center and an OF of Abreu-Burrell-Huff. Would make the lineup very lefty heavy with Thome, Utley, Abreu, Huff.

Guest Chris2005

Huff has been a very good player the past couple of years but I wouldn't believe everything Gammons says. I think Lady Cleo had more accurate predictions compared to him.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

if they were really trading Huff then everyone and their mom would be making offers. I don't buy it.

which is not to say Tampa won't sell off all thier good players at some point or another.

you'd rather have a centerfielder and no pitcher then a better centerfielder and a pitcher?

Free agency starts today, should we create a new thread? Anyways the first signing is apparantly going to be Omar Vizquel to the White Sox.

I do not know if this is a good idea or not. But since a lot of people do not like reading through 50 pages of a thread about a topic where it is likely to go off in weird tangents is it possible to make a thread for minor free agent transactions, and then the major moves will get their own thread each.

Guest Anglesault

Yankees too offer Milton too much (more than the dollar-fifty he's worth, anyway)

Yankees miss playoffs.

for the record, I love tangents.

and let me congratulate the Sox on being the first rebuilding team to give a 38 year old shortstop anywhere from 8 to 12 million dollars when they already have one. Hooray!

ps - Milton is a suckfest, so is Al Lieter

I do not know if this is a good idea or not. But since a lot of people do not like reading through 50 pages of a thread about a topic where it is likely to go off in weird tangents is it possible to make a thread for minor free agent transactions, and then the major moves will get their own thread each.

I would greatly prefer that setup.

for the record, I love tangents.

and let me congratulate the Sox on being the first rebuilding team to give a 38 year old shortstop anywhere from 8 to 12 million dollars when they already have one. Hooray!

ps - Milton is a suckfest, so is Al Lieter

ESPN Insider reports the offer is $10 Million over two years. That is too much, in my opinion. Especially when you have so many quality players available on the market.

Why? Because (god forbid) your 100 win team can't add any good players? You could sign Eric Milton, keep Javy Vazquez, and add Bernie Brewer to your bench and the team would easily clear 90 wins. Wait until your team actually does something before bitching. For the time being, please refrain from posting unless you actually have something to say.

hey go easy on him Al. You more than anyone should be able to sympathize with Milton-related depression.

Guest Anglesault
Why? Because (god forbid) your 100 win team can't add any good players?

Why must we add bad ones?

How the hell does Eric Milton help this team at all? We have plenty of number five starters on the team. Adding another does nothing but take up a roster spot.

Milton's never even put together a full season. Watching him for 6 seasons, he had great stretches. Hell threw well in the playoffs. That doesn't mean someone should risk 10 million on the guy.

Some rumors from the local paper.

Teams like Los Angeles, Boston, and New York are expected to offer Brad Radke a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.

Why?  Because (god forbid) your 100 win team can't add any good players?

Why must we add bad ones?

How the hell does Eric Milton help this team at all? We have plenty of number five starters on the team. Adding another does nothing but take up a roster spot.

1. The Yankees last season received 18 starts from Jose Contreras (5.64 ERA), six starts from Esteban Loazia (8.50), seven from Brad Halsey (6.47), two from Donovan Osbourne (7.13), and two from Alex Graman (19.80). That is 35 starts from pitchers who had higher ERAs than Eric Milton this season.

2. Eric Milton allowed 43 home runs this season. That is an extremely unusual total for any pitcher, and his home run rate will certainly decrease next season.

3. Citizens Bank Park was an extreme home run park this season. Yankee Stadium is an excellent park for left handed pitchers. Fly balls that would land in the stands at CBP would fall within the field at Yankee Stadium.

4. If you add a decent centerfielder, alot of those land in someone's glove for an out.

There's a very good chance Milton would improve on his performance if he moves to Yankee Stadium. His walk and strikeout totals were very good, and his weakness is negated by the ballpark. And if nothing else, he saves you from throwing guys like Halsey and Graman on the mound.

Guest Anglesault
1. The Yankees last season received 18 starts from Jose Contreras (5.64 ERA), six starts from Esteban Loazia (8.50), seven from Brad Halsey (6.47), two from Donovan Osbourne (7.13), and two from Alex Graman (19.80). That is 35 starts from pitchers who had higher ERAs than Eric Milton this season..

Only Halsey has a prayer of being on the team this year.

Eric Milton allowed 43 home runs this season. That is an extremely unusual total for any pitcher, and his home run rate will certainly decrease next season.

To about 35. So it can go from "absurd" to "really, really bad."

3. Citizens Bank Park was an extreme home run park this season.

The majority of his home runs came on the road.

You also forget that he's God awful against Left Handed hitters, which could possibly pose a problem at Yankee Stadium.

"He's better than your absolute worst" and "You could do worse" don't sell me at all on 8 mil a year for a career sub-par pitcher.

"He's better than your absolute worst" and "You could do worse" don't sell me at all on 8 mil a year for a career sub-par pitcher.

I'm not suggesting 8 mil a year. That would be insane. He's worth about $4 Million, in my view. If Milton wants more, there are other options available, such as Odalis Perez.

Guest Anglesault

I'm not suggesting 8 mil a year. That would be insane.

That's what he's getting

such as Odalis Perez.

Is there reason to suggest he was injured, sick, ANYTHING in the playoffs this year to make me feel better about this guy?

After Weaver pissed the playoffs away in 03, and Vazquez helped to do so in 04, I'm not in the mood to watch that happen AGAIN, and Perez looked miserable in the NLDS

That's what he's getting

Says who?

Is there reason to suggest he was injured, sick, ANYTHING in the playoffs this year to make me feel better about this guy?

After Weaver pissed the playoffs away in 03, and Vazquez helped to do so in 04, I'm not in the mood to watch that happen AGAIN, and Perez looked miserable in the NLDS

Good pitchers have bad starts. Andy Pettitte posted double digit ERAs in four separate postseason series. I think Perez had a bad matchup against righties Scott Rolen and Albert Pujols. Its hard to say what caused it, but I'm sure the Yankees will do their homework.

The bottom line is, the you sometimes need to buy low, and look for overlooked players. Remember Scott Brosius came off an ABYSMAL 1997 season when he joined the Yankees. The Red Sox grapped David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, and Mark Bellhorn after they had bad seasons. The Yankees may need to look at some underachievers to build their team. Especially since there are no sure bets on the pitching market this season.