TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Guest Anglesault
Well, if Stark's statement on what the Diamondbacks wanted is true, then the Yankees were right to turn down the deal.

Honestly, as long as Javier Vazquez pitches 2005 like Bob Gibson in 68, I have no problem with the non-deal.

Guest Anglesault
On a far lower-profile pitching front than the Johnson sweepstakes, the Yankees are close to bringing back old friend Mike Stanton from the Mets in exchange for fellow lefty reliever Felix Heredia, the Daily News has learned.

Final details of the deal - resolving the $2 million difference between Stanton's and Heredia's contracts - were being worked out yesterday. In addition, the 37-year-old Stanton, who felt betrayed by the Yankees after being cut loose by them in 2002, was said to have requested to talk to Yankee GM Brian Cashman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...9p-221122c.html

So what if the Yankees and Mets exchange crap for crap?

Is it wrong to think that the Yankees are actively trying to lose next year?

On a far lower-profile pitching front than the Johnson sweepstakes, the Yankees are close to bringing back old friend Mike Stanton from the Mets in exchange for fellow lefty reliever Felix Heredia, the Daily News has learned.

Final details of the deal - resolving the $2 million difference between Stanton's and Heredia's contracts - were being worked out yesterday. In addition, the 37-year-old Stanton, who felt betrayed by the Yankees after being cut loose by them in 2002, was said to have requested to talk to Yankee GM Brian Cashman.

You'd rather have Heredia than Stanton?

Guest Anglesault

You'd rather have Heredia than Stanton?

Why the hell isn't "neither" an option?

I'll take Stanton, and I like Gordon, but they need improvement beyond that. I loved the way Sturtze pitched down the stretch last year, depending on his price I'd like to keep him as a long reliever. I was a fan of Quantrill until he lost it last year, so I'm up in the air on whether I trust him or not. If they keep him they'll need to reduce his workload. I'm hopeful that Steve Karsay gets his shit together. I'd like to see us add another lefty along with Stanton and upgrade from Gordon at the #2 spot. If I'm the GM I make an all out push for Trevor Hoffman contingent upon him accepting the setup co-ace role in the pen. It's crucial that they have someone they can rely on to shut it down for an inning or two due to Rivera's age. They can't keep putting him out there 2-3 innings every playoff game.

From the NY Times

At every point in the talks, the Diamondbacks asked for Vazquez and $19.5 million, the difference between what is owed Johnson, who is signed through only next year, and what is owed Vazquez, who is signed through 2007.

The Diamondbacks planned to trade Vazquez, who once fired Moorad as his agent and almost certainly would have exercised his right to demand a trade after one season.

But they had no interest in a formal three-way deal and instead asked the Yankees to acquire a pitcher for them. According to the two officials, the Diamondbacks initially asked for Vazquez, $19.5 million, four or five Yankees prospects and a pitcher from a list of 10.

The pitchers on the list, according to the officials, were Jeremy Bonderman of Detroit; A. J. Burnett of Florida; Shawn Chacon and Jason Jennings of Colorado; Tim Hudson and Barry Zito of Oakland; Edwin Jackson of Los Angeles; Scott Kazmir of Tampa Bay; Ted Lilly of Toronto; and Kenny Rogers of Texas.

Chacon was the only one on the list who was available, according to one of the officials, and the Yankees could not acquire him. The Diamondbacks then suggested that the Yankees send them Vazquez, $19.5 million, three or four prospects and the setup man Tom Gordon.

"Obviously, that really didn't require a response," one of the Yankees officials said.

But the Yankees did respond, asking Arizona to consider a deal for Vazquez, the left-handers Alex Graman and Brad Halsey, the Class A left-hander Abel Gomez and a significant portion of the $19.5 million, believed to be $12 million to $13 million.

The Diamondbacks rejected that offer and told the Yankees they would do only one of two deals: Vazquez, $19.5 million, Gordon and Halsey, or Vazquez, $19.5 million, three or four prospects and a pitcher from the original list of 10.

With that, the Yankees broke off the talks, leaving the Diamondbacks without an obvious place to trade Johnson.

Honestly, I would have agreed to Vazquez, Gordon and Halsey and tried to cut the $ down by 5 mil or so. Johnson is a once in a lifetime pitcher, I can't believe they're going to walk away from a chance to put him in pinstripes. In the end everything the Yankees give up will be inconsequential, especially now that they've soured on Vazquez and have been publically shopping him around. Halsey and Gordon are nice, but they're not going to make or break a championship.

To go along with the Leiter signing, according to Insider the Marlins and Angels are the two frontrunners for Tim Hudson. Didn't say who the Marlins would have to give up, but as long as it's not Stokes or Hermida... I'm all for it.

Josh Beckett

Tim Hudson

AJ Burnett

Dontrelle Willis

Al Leiter

I think that's a winning rotation if I ever saw one. (Assuming health)

Hudson isn't going to be traded before or during the season unless some team makes such an insanely stupid offer that Beane can't pass it up. And the lead candidates are supposedly the Marlins and the Angels??? Yes I'm sure Beane trades his #1 starter to the main competition in the division.

Beane loves those first round compesation picks he gets when a free agent leaves the A's and he'll have no problem settling for that after the 2005 season if the A's haven't been able to work out a new contract with Hudson. Really all rumors of Hudson being traded are just wishful thinking by other teams and their fans.

Now Barry Zito on the other hand any team could have for the right price.

Honestly, I would have agreed to Vazquez, Gordon and Halsey and tried to cut the $ down by 5 mil or so. Johnson is a once in a lifetime pitcher, I can't believe they're going to walk away from a chance to put him in pinstripes. In the end everything the Yankees give up will be inconsequential, especially now that they've soured on Vazquez and have been publically shopping him around. Halsey and Gordon are nice, but they're not going to make or break a championship.

The problem is the deal with still leave the Yankees with only one reliable reliever, and a rotation of Johnson, Mussina, Brown, Sturtze, and Chien-Ming Wang.

I'll take Stanton,

Someone didn't watch Mets games last year.

Precious Roy is a lucky bastard

I want Heredia more than Stanton 'cause mediocrity > torture

Guest Anglesault
, and a rotation of Johnson, Mussina, Brown, Sturtze, and Chien-Ming Wang.

Johnson, Mussina, and Brown should be, on paper, a killer top three. Lieber should get resigned for the four spot, and I'm sure someone can be found for the five spot (don't say it)

In other news, The Yankees have officially stopped trying.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...263_mari01.html

Now Barry Zito on the other hand any team could have for the right price.

The Jays talked about it earlier this month, but nothing apparently came out of it. JP seems more interested in Matt Clement at the moment.

The problem is the deal with still leave the Yankees with only one reliable reliever, and a rotation of Johnson, Mussina, Brown, Sturtze, and Chien-Ming Wang.

This is true, but I wouldn't be done making moves! I'd resign Lieber or sign David Wells and then also aquire Odalis Perez and possibly another starter as insurance for Brown. Sturtze would be in the pen. I'd also bypass Beltran and sign Jeff Kent, and also put some serious cash into the bullpen to replace Gordon and upgrade what we have, Hoffman being the big prize.

It's a pipe dream.

Guest Anglesault
I'd also bypass Beltran and sign Jeff Kent,

We need, need, need a centerfielder.

We can get by with out a new secondbaseman

To go along with the Leiter signing, according to Insider the Marlins and Angels are the two frontrunners for Tim Hudson. Didn't say who the Marlins would have to give up, but as long as it's not Stokes or Hermida... I'm all for it.

Josh Beckett

Tim Hudson

AJ Burnett

Dontrelle Willis

Al Leiter

With Hudson and Leiter, I think its one or the other. I think a more pressing concern is the bench and bullpen. After Benitez, the Marlins' pen was truly awful. They need to add bench depth as well. Right now, they don't have a single good hitter outside of their starting lineup.

Beltran isn't the only CF in the world....

Guest Anglesault

I assume you intend to pull Andruw Jones out of your ass.

I assume you intend to pull Andruw Jones out of your ass.

Ewwww......

Guest Anglesault

According to some Houston newspaper or something, the Yankees are preparing an offer to Beltran for a whopping 13 million dollars. Ugh

Guest Crazy Dan

Well as a Giant's fan, I like the signing of Benetiz, as he was the best reliever available. The Giants needed a closer last season, and Hermanson was just not it. Robb Nenn looks like he might never pitch again and so the Giants went and got the best reliever available. Sure I wish they might have gotten Perceivel, but he was snatched by Detroit. So Benetiz was the next best thing. Is he perfect, no. But he did save 47 games last year and he has the tools that you look for in a closer, a pitcher who throws fast and nasty, something the Giant's closer's did not have. Benetiz has been solid in the last year and half, so I will hope this continues to be the trend. The Giants lost many games that their bullpen blew last season. If Benetiz can cut those blown saves by even a half, the Giants have a shot of making the playoffs again. The Giants realized that they need a closer and got the best one they could, which should help the Giants greatly. Also, pitching in SBC will also benefit Benetiz as well. He might not be perfect, but he is an upgrade.

According to some Houston newspaper or something, the Yankees are preparing an offer to Beltran for a whopping 13 million dollars. Ugh

Eh don't worry too much about that. Richard Justice is talking out of his ass (which, ironically, is the orifice that emanates most of his more intelligent ramblings). He also says that somehow the payroll for the Astros will remain the same (about $83 million) but that between Pettite, Bagwell, Biggio, and Berkman there will still be enough cap room to offer Beltran a deal of $13.5 million a year for the next 7 years (pretty much unheard of contract length for Uncle Drayton).

Hey Richard, you do know Oswalt's arbitration eligibility is just about to kick in, right? Unless you plan to move Biggio's AND Kent's salaries out after next year (which actually wouldn't surprise me) the payroll is going to take a pretty good sized leap forward in the next year or 2. The new TV deal will help some, but not that much.

All in all, I doubt Beltran will end up in Astros gear (being a Houston sports fan has given me a pessimism that's amazing in both depth and breadth) next year, and the Yankers er, Yankees are the most logical possibility. Well, them or the Angels.

Josh Beckett

Tim Hudson

AJ Burnett

Dontrelle Willis

Al Leiter

With Hudson and Leiter, I think its one or the other. I think a more pressing concern is the bench and bullpen. After Benitez, the Marlins' pen was truly awful. They need to add bench depth as well. Right now, they don't have a single good hitter outside of their starting lineup.

You're very right. The Marlins are trying to add David Delucci for bench help and are looking at adding Dustin Hermanson from the Giants in the bullpen.

Keep in mind, also, that they will be getting two key bullpen arms back this year from injury. Tim Spooneybarger and Chad Fox. Not quite sure how they will perform, but it's better than some of what they got.

Al, is Felix Rodriguez any good?

Dailynews is reporting him for Lofton could be announced today.

F-Rod is very talented, though somewhat of an underachiever IMO. Nice pick up for NY though.