TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Noted Met killer Brian Jordan signs with the Braves again.  I'm sure he's salivating at the thought of getting to face Met pitching again, he basically made his entire career by killing the Mets.

I'm sorry, John Franco and Armando Benitez are no longer Mets

once a Met killer, always a Met killer, this guy scares the hell out of me. Maybe Pedro can brush him back

So how many games do Jordan and Mondesi play combined this year? I'll go with 93.

Jordan will probably get around 70 games but, being as though it's the Braves, Mondesi will probably throw down .270/.340/.465 with twenty home runs and almost twenty steals.

The Phillies signed IF Jose Offerman to a minor league contract. Yeah, its Offerman. But he sports a career .361 OBP, and posted a .363 mark last season. I won't mind seeing him in Scranton at all.

Regarding Clemens, that $22 Million is the most ridiculous offer I have ever heard. The Astros will EASILY get their offer in a hearing. The question is whether Clemens will pitch. Quite honestly, if I were the Astros, I would tell Clemens to take a flying leap at this point.

Actually, there's a lot of chit-chat going around that Clemens may have the upper-hand, as he falls into having a lot of "special achievements", which allow him to make comparisons to, say, the guy that he beat for the Cy Young last year, Randy Johnson. Johnson just received a two-year, $16 million extension to his contract, which means that Clemens could potentially command something higher than the midpoint of $17.5 between the arbitration offers. (One less year means more guaranteed money for this single year to compensate, he beat out Johnson for the Cy Young, etc.)

And, according to one of the arbitration experts that popped up on Fred Claire's radio show on MLB.com yesterday, when it comes to arbitration cases, it's not necessarily arguing the $13 million versus the $22 million figure, but arguing which side of the midpoint that Clemens' true value falls upon.

I'm not saying that he should get the $22 million - I think it's absolutely ridiculous - but that there may be more of a chance that he will, given the way that the system works.

Ugh, he's not going away!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

Houston television KRIV-TV, citing Major League Baseball sources, reported Thursday night the Astros and Roger Clemens were "very close to agreement" on a one-year contract that will make the seven-time Cy Young Award winner the highest-paid pitcher in history.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

you know, at the very least the highest paid pitcher in history could be the best pitcher in the league. I don't think that's asking so much.

Well at least the Astros will salvage some of their offseason.

I can't help but wonder though, since they're unlikely to make a serious run this year even with Clemens, if they aren't better off telling Clemens to retire and using that $18 mil to help lock Berkman and Oswalt up long-term. Those guys are the future, not Clemens, and now is the perfect time to get both of them signed before the price goes up next year.

well the Mets offered lower than the Marlins did for Delgado, so unless Minaya really is a "miracle worker" then he'll go 2/3 this offseason. Unless the Rangers blow him away, looks like he will join the Fish.

Let's hope so, but I'm not so sure. Newsday reported that the Mets offered 4 years 45 million, which is substantially more than the Marlins offer.

LA Dodgers signed MR Aquilino Lopez to an MLC and invited to ST.

Atlanta Braves signed 2B Marcus Giles to a 1 year, $2.35 Million contract.

Chicago Cubs signed MR Jimmy Anderson to an MLC and invited to ST.

Chicago Cubs signed OF Peter Bergeron to an MLC and invited to ST.

Baltimore Orioles are close to signing MR Steve Reed.

Ugh, he's not going away!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

Houston television KRIV-TV, citing Major League Baseball sources, reported Thursday night the Astros and Roger Clemens were "very close to agreement" on a one-year contract that will make the seven-time Cy Young Award winner the highest-paid pitcher in history.

Would 7-12, 4.78 be too much to ask? The Astros deserve to fall flat on their faces for offering that kind of contract.

well the Mets offered lower than the Marlins did for Delgado, so unless Minaya really is a "miracle worker" then he'll go 2/3 this offseason. Unless the Rangers blow him away, looks like he will join the Fish.

I heard that they offered 3/33 or 3/34, which is considered to be almost equal with the Marlins' offer of 3/35, because Florida's offer has a lot of deferred money.

well the Mets offered lower than the Marlins did for Delgado, so unless Minaya really is a "miracle worker" then he'll go 2/3 this offseason.  Unless the Rangers blow him away, looks like he will join the Fish.

I heard that they offered 3/33 or 3/34, which is considered to be almost equal with the Marlins' offer of 3/35, because Florida's offer has a lot of deferred money.

Completely false. Florida has no state income tax (don't live in FLA, so I can't verify but a few of the articles I read mentioned this), NY is 8%. Even deferred, he's getting more money in Fla.

The Astros had money to spare considering they tried to sign Beltran, and they have no other options for the spare money. Without Clemens, the Astros are toast, and lose tons of potential revenue in the process. Personally, I am glad to see Clemens back as a fan. Clemens is one of the elite pitchers of all time, and I would really like to see how far he can go. A 17 win season will place him 8th all time in wins. However, his stalling on whether or not to play is quite maddening. It is a disservice to his team.

well the Mets offered lower than the Marlins did for Delgado, so unless Minaya really is a "miracle worker" then he'll go 2/3 this offseason.  Unless the Rangers blow him away, looks like he will join the Fish.

Completely false. Florida has no state income tax (don't live in FLA, so I can't verify but a few of the articles I read mentioned this), NY is 8%. Even deferred, he's getting more money in Fla.

Good point. I took that from Rotoworld's commentary on the situation, but - much like the Beltran situation - the taxes definitely come into play.

And, as far as Clemens go, the Astros have got to be furious that Clemens essentially held the team hostage in a public forum and then squeezed them for all that they're worth. I respect what the Rocket has accomplished as a player but, as a person, his attitude and tactics leave a lot to be desired.

I wouldn't dismiss the deferrement idea that quickly. While there is no tax, if they deferred enough it could still work out the same. The NY tax would only be 2.8 million. That could be offset if the deferrment was spread over a lengthy period.

Texas Rangers signed Manager Buck Showalter to a 3 year contract extension and GM John Hart to a 2 year contract. Showalter has a club option for 2010.

Cleveland Indians signed 3B/OF Casey Blake to a 2 year contract with a club option for 2007.

And, as far as Clemens go, the Astros have got to be furious that Clemens essentially held the team hostage in a public forum and then squeezed them for all that they're worth.  I respect what the Rocket has accomplished as a player but, as a person, his attitude and tactics leave a lot to be desired.

Why should they be furious? They could have given him a drop-dead date to make his decision (like they should have done with Beltran) and been prepared to move on without him, but they chose not to.

And how reasonable would it have been for them to expect Clemens to play for $5 mil again? He certainly earned this contract based on what he did last year. And, even though they're paying him $18 mil this season (plus the incentives he earned last year), the Astros are getting two years of Roger Clemens for just under $25 mil--that's a bargain if you ask me. They weren't going to use the money for anything else anyway (though they SHOULD use it to at least lock Berkman up long-term). I just better not hear Uncle Drayton bitch about losing money again this year.

I think the Astros are still in trouble. Kent's gone, Beltran's gone and the ability of Biggio and Bagwell will go down at least another peg this season. They'll still present a formidable team because of their pitching (except everyone in the bullpen not named Brad Lidge), but I can envision them being much like the Dodgers a couple years back. Magnificent pitching but not nearly enough hitting to keep them in the game.