TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

What's been said on the radio here today in regards to Beltran:

- Drayton McLane wants the Beltran situation resolved, in regards to the Astros, by the end of this week. Astros have reportedly upped their offer to a guaranteed 5 years/$75 mil. McLane is concerned because "Moises Alou is gone. Steve Finley is gone. We've got to have some options if we don't have Carlos."

- Omar Minaya has stated signing Beltran is his top priority now, and will meet with him tomorrow.

- Cubs are out of it until they find a taker for Sosa, which seems unlikely at this point.

- The Tigers are supposed to be in the bidding as well, but who's taking that seriously?

What about the Yankees? They better not pull a Guerrero and sign a guy that's like 7 years older (although Sheffield hasn't been bad at all).

I have a feeling Boras is waiting for that one team to flinch and insanely outbid every other team like the Rangers did for A-Rod.

I have a feeling Boras is waiting for that one team to flinch and insanely outbid every other team like the Rangers did for A-Rod.

Gawd, I hope it's not the Mets.

Czech, do you honestly believe that all of the Cubs' problems will be solved with the Beltran signing? I'd love to see him with the Cubs, but I don't believe that it'd make the Cubs a lock for the Series or even postseason. Remember how Nomar was supposed to be the element that turned it all around and send the Cubs to the postseason? Who's to say the same won't happen if Beltran gets signed.

I'd be perfectly content if they didn't sign Beltran if it meant solidifying the bullpen and a new approach to offense and minor elements of the game. Sammy's best days are behind him, but I doubt he'll perform as badly as he did in 2004. Add in a healthy Nomar, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, maturing Corey Patterson and Dubois/Hollandsworth platoon, and you're looking at an offense that many teams would kill for. Then you've got the starting rotation, that, when healthy, is probably one of the most formidable rotations in baseball.

Honestly, a Beltran signing would be great, but them working on a few other things would probably do just as good for the team. The success of the Chicago Cubs does not rest of the shoulders of Carlos Beltran.

Maybe I'm just buying into the Beltran hype. But Sosa is bad for morale, nobody wants to see him around, he's injury-prone, and he's declining steadily and quickly. I worry about that, despite our strong Patterson-Walker-Nomar-Lee-Ramirez-Barrett lineup. If he stays in shape, doesn't let his ego get in the way, and doesn't tear a trapezius scratching his ass, then Sosa is fine. But as it stands, he's a liability in my eyes, with Kyle Farnsworth not far behind.

Would Beltran be good? Absolutely. He's a classic five-tool player who dominated at Wrigley Field. He's no panacea, but right now, he's a giant leap in the right direction, which is not having to fly the Cardinals' and Astros' flags above our own at Clark & Addison. I'd certainly welcome him. If he wants to come play on a competitive team with some of the the best fans around, at the greatest ballpark in America, then there's a Cubs jersey with his name on it. But if he's just going to stay in Houston, where a Little Leaguer could hit a homer to left, more power to him, I guess. And if he's going to whore himself out to the extreme for the New York Yankees, that's his decision.

Or his notoriously greedy agent's.

I don't get why we can't sign Beltran and dump Sosa later. It's not like we have to pay all of their contracts the day they sign them.

That would be a major sign of weakness, a "tell" to steal a poker term. They already can't find a taker for Sosa without basically paying his contract, signing Beltran would sink them...

Cubs fans, sorry to break it to you, but it's a pipe dream. Only NY and Houston have legit shots, and my money is on Houston at this point.

I guess I'll beat Al to the punch.

Matsui's Bill James Handbook Projections: .296/.380/.496, 591 AB, 38 doubles, 26 HR, 109 RBI, 98 R, 80 BB, 88 K, 2 SB

Matsui's ZIPS projections from Baseball Primer: .293/.384/.481, 588 AB, 37 doubles, 24 HR, 99 RBI, 95 R, 87 BB, 96 K, 2 SB

Roy's right. Houston and NY are the only two teams who are willing to overpay for Beltran at this point. He's a stud, but let's face it, whoever gets him is going to overpay for him. With that said, I'd love to see NY take him. Just get him out of the NL Central.

I know the Yanks are all about the quick fix, but why are they so blind that they go out and year-after-year overpay for guys who are coming off what are obviously career years? Big, fat, multi-year deals, too. It boggles the mind and then moreso once the front office is legitimately shocked that this approach doesn't work.

I know the Yanks are all about the quick fix, but why are they so blind that they go out and year-after-year overpay for guys who are coming off what are obviously career years? Big, fat, multi-year deals, too. It boggles the mind and then moreso once the front office is legitimately shocked that this approach doesn't work.

The biggest problem the Yankees have right now is their utter lack of depth. Right now their bench consists of Andy Phillips, Bubba Crosby, and John Flaherty. And one of those guys would have to be the DH. If any starter goes down, they have nothing to replace them. And if the team suffers a slew of injuries, they're in deep shit.

Well, Ruben Sierra should be back, and Tino returning seems likely, Giambi's situation is still up in the air, but we definitely need someone to split time with Womack and a 4th outfielder. I don't think we'll get Beltran, but he would give us all the outfield flexibility we need, as well as allowing Bernie to DH most of the time.

Guest Failed Mascot

I forget the article but it was on ESPN.com and stated that if the Yankees were to trade for RJ and give him a 2 year extension worth $16mill a year along with giving Beltran what Boras wants him to get then the Yankees will pay $200mill for 5 players for the 06-07 seasons combined.

Those players being RJ, Beltran, A-Rod, Jeter, Mussina, and Giambi

NEW YORK -- The Diamondbacks and Yankees have agreed on a deal that would send Randy Johnson to the New York for Javier Vazquez, prospects and cash, major league sources told ESPN.

The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the baseball commissioner's office, but that is the next step for the deal to be finalized.

Peter Gammons reported earlier Thursday that the on-again, off-again trade would be completed once the teams agree on the amount of money and the minor leaguers to be included in the deal. Gammons also reported that in addition to Vazquez, the deal would include catching prospect Dioneer Navarro, at least one other prospect and about $8 million going to the Diamondbacks in exchange for the 41-year-old lefty.

According to Gammons' sources, Arizona will not immediately deal Vazquez to another team, but will continue to talk to interested teams, including Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit and Texas.

Once a deal is official, the Yankees would then have to work out a contract extension for Johnson. According to the New York Daily News' sources, the discussion has been to add two years to Johnson's deal at $16 million each year.

Guest Failed Mascot

So in the end what did it cost NY to get Johnson?

Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera, Randy Choate, Javier Vasquez, Dioneer Navarro, Brad Hasley, and $8mill in cash.

Way to go NY. You killed your entire farm system for a pitcher over the age of 40. Also if you factor in the $8mill its costing NY they're technically going to pay $24.5mill this season for Randy Johnson.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

they agreed on RJ, Navvaro and 8 mil like a month ago. You'd think they'd try to get a little more detail.

Guest Failed Mascot

Moorad is an idiot. According to Buster Olney they're going to turn around and trade Navvaro to LA for Shawn Green.

Cubs should screw him over by having him take Sosa before he grabs Green.

So in the end what did it cost NY to get Johnson?

Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera, Randy Choate, Javier Vasquez, Dioneer Navarro, Brad Hasley, and $8mill in cash.

Way to go NY. You killed your entire farm system for a pitcher over the age of 40. Also if you factor in the $8mill its costing NY they're technically going to pay $24.5mill this season for Randy Johnson.

Johnson was a major disappointment, Rivera was just a bench player, Choate never really did anything, Vazquez blew it for us in the playoffs, I wanted to keep Navarro but he was dubbed as an overrated prospect, and Hasley wasn't going to start here. Atleast you can say we didn't rip 'em off like Boston did for Schilling.

And you sound disappointed.

Guest Failed Mascot

I'm sure right about now any Yankees fan would take Nick Johnson over Roidambi.

Thing you seem to be ignoring is the fact that the Yankees killed their entire farm system for a pitcher in his 40s. If this was Randy Johnson 5 years ago then its worth it. The fact he has 3 seasons left in him barring injuries makes it over-paying big time IMO. Remember Johnson does have knee and back problems himself. Its no lock he stays healthy.

He's a freak of nature. I'd rather take my chances with RJ and possibly Tino at the back up first base than Nick Johnson and Randy Choate.