TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

For what its worth, a caller called WFAN in NY around 10:50ish and said he "spoke to a family member in Puetro Rico" and that its a done deal with Beltran to the Mets with hangups being "perks"

Of course I'd put about as much stock in that as I do with any of the dopey wrestling "news headlines" that have popped up on "insider" sites through the years

Steve

umm, I could be wrong, but isn't the the Jets game being played on WFAN right now, not sure though

Jets haven't been on WFAN in, I'm guessing around 4-5 years now! They went into partnership with the MSG network in 2000/2001 and has been simulcasted on both WABC (770 AM) and ESPN Radio (1050 AM) since I think 2002

Steve

and Buster Olney is once again proven to be a total fraud as a "Baseball Insider". This guy is clueless. Al should devote a whole column to "How Dumb is Buster Olney?"

and Buster Olney is once again proven to be a total fraud as a "Baseball Insider". This guy is clueless. Al should devote a whole column to "How Dumb is Buster Olney?"

You can't put that into just one article...

Color me surprised. I say either the Cubs or Mets get him at this point. The Yankees have dumped enough funds into their off-season acquisitions, and with the signing of Johnson, they really made their main move of the off-season.

As a Cubs fan, I'd like to get him, just because he'd clearly fill some holes and answer some questions that are hounding the team. But at the same time, we're going to have to create one hell of an excuse if we land him and still don't win since he's the answer to the Cubs' problems according to so many people.

And you can't help but be pissed if you're an Astros fan. They've lost quite a few key players in this off-season without getting a whole lot. You can tell they were counting on Beltran coming back.

Houston Chronicle is now reporting that the Mets have won the sweepstakes:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2983265

Jan. 8, 2005, 11:35PM

He's gone: Astros fail to reach deal with Beltran

All-Star center fielder to sign with Mets

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Despite a record contract offer from the Astros, free agent Carlos Beltran will not play for the team next season.

Beltran, the 27-year-old center fielder who helped the Astros to their first playoff series win and captivated the city's baseball fans with his amazing array of skills, chose not to accept the biggest contract in Astros history just a few minutes before an 11 p.m. deadline Saturday night.

Beltran will instead sign with the New York Mets.

``It slipped through our fingers in the last, last few minutes,'' Astros owner Drayton McLane said. ``It was just some sticking point. It should never, never have gotten to this.''

Because Beltran earlier had declined salary arbitration, the Astros had until the 11 p.m. deadline to sign him or lose negotiating rights until May 1.

While final numbers weren't available, Beltran's offer surpassed in total value the Astros' previous record contract of $85 million, which Jeff Bagwell received on a five-year deal that will expire after the 2006 season unless a club option is picked up for 2007.

``We must have had eight or nine conversations (with the Astros) today, and they made a very competitive offer,'' said Beltran's agent, Scott Boras.

Beltran's decision came after a long and agonizing day for the Astros and their fans, who had clung to the desperate hope that the player would stay in Houston.

Beltran had 38 home runs with 104 RBIs and 42 stolen bases between the Astros and Kansas City Royals this past season.

He raised his stock in the playoffs, hitting .435 with eight home runs, 14 RBIs, nine walks and six stolen bases over 12 games while leading the Astros within a victory of the franchise's first World Series berth.

Beltran's postseason excellence caught the baseball world's attention, and he has 12 Major League Baseball and Astros franchise postseason records to show for it.

The Astros were 38-34 and two games behind in the wild-card race before Beltran was traded to Houston in a three-team deal that sent closer Octavio Dotel to the Oakland A's and top catching prospect John Buck to Kansas City.

After picking up Beltran, the Astros were 54-36 (.600) with him to win the National League's wild-card playoff berth by a game ahead of the San Francisco Giants.

The Astros had hoped to make Beltran the face of the franchise, both as a player and as an ambassador to Houston's large Latino community.

Despite the fact that Beltran chose to go elsewhere, McLane's pursuit created a tremendous sense of goodwill between the franchise and the Latino community, said several prominent Houston political and business leaders.

``I'm excited about the energy and focus Drayton McLane put on this opportunity,'' said Councilman Adrian Garcia, who was a member of the old Astros' Buddy program as a child. ``It demonstrated Drayton McLane's commitment to maintain a winning team. It's a great opportunity to create an image that's consistent with the city of Houston.''

McLane made his plea personally on Dec. 22 when Beltran and his agent, Scott Boras, visited with McLane and top Astros officials during a face-to-face meeting. The parties had numerous negotiating sessions since Dec. 22, closing out the dialogue with four consecutive days of phone calls and negotiating until the final minutes before the deadline.

``Drayton is to be commended for making the offer, for taking such a serious and significant position,'' said Councilwoman Carol Alvarado, a lifelong Astros fan who submitted a letter urging Beltran to sign with the Astros. ``Thank you to our city leaders who stepped up and sent letters and proclamations to Carlos. We really wanted to make clear we were serious about baseball.''

Beltran definitely has box office appeal. The Astros' attendance with Beltran rose, going from an average of 37,547 before he was acquired to 38,655 after. Part of McLane's recruiting was a highlight video showing Beltran the support he got from Houston fans during the magical ride through the playoffs.

In the end, it didn't matter.

Guest Smues
I'm surprised, though very pleased, to see Beltran not come back to Houston. I wonder what the sticking point was.

I would guess Scott Boras.

According to most published reports the difference between the relief from the lack of Texas income tax and the Mets offer made the deals even in the long run, which means the only true difference is Boras' cut.

What the fuck? I don't understand why Beltran won't just tell Boras to go fuck himself!?? It's not like he needs him. If I were Beltran I'd go where I wanted to go, Boras ain't shit, anyone with half a brain can handle their own finances.

If he does sign with the Mets, it'll show you what's truly important to him. Gotta do what's best for you, but I think a lot of guys would go where they've got a better shot at winning. And the Mets are the type of team who are really rebuilding, either.

If he does sign with the Mets, it'll show you what's truly important to him. Gotta do what's best for you, but I think a lot of guys would go where they've got a better shot at winning. And the Mets are the type of team who are really rebuilding, either.

Don't be so sure, the Mets have a history of all of a sudden "coming from nowhere"

Could the Metellenium FINALLY be dawning in Y25...

Steve

Well, I'd say the Mets are as much a contender as Houston at this point, and the money was basically even. It's not a matter of beltran being greedy, it's a matter of him being Boras' bitch.

You're right Beltran's not smart enough to figure out Boras is out for his own personal gain. That's was my biggest worry. That Boras would sign with the Mets.

I'm just so unbelievably pissed at the moment that I can't even talk. There's no one, NO ONE, for the Astros to sign anymore and Beltran waited until the very last second to screw us over.

I'm going to go play some Rome: Total War and rampage over innocent civilizations.

Am I the only one who get's a prompt to open that page rather than it opening in my browser?

Not just you, either. What are you using? Firefox or IE?

Firefox, and it's the only link on ESPN.com that won't open properly :bonk:

Same with me. Fuck ESPN.com.

On the bright side for the Astros this means they'll be able to afford to keep Lance Berkman...unless Scott Boras is his agent.