TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Guest Failed Mascot

Jeter since Hunter does make the hard plays look easy...Jeter makes easy plays look hard.

I should have picked a different player as Jeter is just too easy of a target. I personally think Hunter is getting by a lot on reputation and of course those damn Web Gems. He gets terrible jumps off the bat which forces him to make those "web gems."

Doesn't that mean most Web Gems are caused by players being out of posititon? A player isn't always going to be playing in the right spot, it's a players ability to get to the tough plays that makes him great defensively. Besides, Hunter's defense goes beyound Web Gems. Good and Accurate Arm, and makes the tough plays.

Using Baseball Prospectus' fielder's rate Hunter has ranked below league average for a center fielder the last three years. A rate of 100 means you were league average for your position.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/hunteto01.shtml

1999: 110

2000: 107

2001: 114

2002: 91

2003: 99

2004: 98

As you see Hunter was excellent early in his career but again by those numbers it appears he's living off his past reputation which happens with a lot of repeat Gold Glove winners.

He's also overrated offensively.

And he sold poison milk to school children.

Doesn't that mean most Web Gems are caused by players being out of posititon?

That's the theory. Another good example of this is Jim Edmonds, who has a career 106 rate at CF, meaning that he's been barely above average, despite showing up on Web Gems every night.

Of course, the search for a reliably predictive (or even a correlatively) defensive stat is still one of the holy grails of baseball analysis. Christian Guzman led all shortstops in defensive win shares, but was barely above average in UZR. Meanwhile, BPro's Rate stat shows him being a below average defender his whole career before making a 14 point leap to a score of 111. Of course, Tangotiger's fan-based scouting report has Guzman posted as a guy with a lot of speed, but not a lot of range or instincts, but it seems more of the extreme votes canceling each other out, as the agreement level for Guzman was a less-than-inspiring 0.48.

News from Rotoworld

Atlanta Braves signed OF Raul Mondesi to a 1 year, $1 Million contract.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed OF Danny Bautista to a 1 year contract.

Cleveland Indians re-signed C Dusty Wathan to an MLC.

San Francisco Giants are set to announce several MLC signings on Monday including SS Cody Ransom

Houston Astros signed MR Dave Burba to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Oakland Athletics signed SP Keiichi Yabu to a 1 year, $1 Million contract with option for 2006.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed MR Mark Guthrie to an MLC.

Pittsburgh Pirates re-signed MR Brian Meadows to a 1 year, $1.125 Million contract.

Boston Red Sox re-signed SS Ramon Vazquez to a 1 year, $700K contract.

Seattle Mariners re-signed SP Gil Meche to a 1 year, $2.535 Million contract.

St. Louis Cardinals signed MR Bob File, MR Chris Gissell, MR Toby Borland, 3B Mike Bell, 2B Wilton Guerrero, OF Raul Gonzalez, and OF Brandon Berger to MLC's and were invited to spring training.

Guest Smues
Anaheim signed Mondesi a couple months in and he almost immediately got hurt.

Watch him put up a career year in ATL

I'd love that, but I highly doubt it.

I'm reading rumors of a Sosa for Floyd/Looper trade; has anyone else heard this? Farnsworth might be involved too, or at least I hope so.

I didn't hear Looper being involved, but I did hear Farnsworth being included. I heard something like:

Mets trade:

Cliff Floyd

Aaron Heilman

Jae Seo

Cubs trade:

Sammy So-so

Kyle Farnsworth

Mets would be insanely stupid to trade Looper unless they have a deal for another closer on the horizon.

Yeah, Looper's practically the only sure thing in the bullpen, and even then...I wouldn't mind getting rid of Heilman or Seo (preferably Heilman) for Farnsworth.

Mets would be insanely stupid to trade Looper unless they have a deal for another closer on the horizon.

Yeah, Looper's practically the only sure thing in the bullpen, and even then...I wouldn't mind getting rid of Heilman or Seo (preferably Heilman) for Farnsworth.

Looper... sure thing? Tell that to all of us Marlin fans.

Looper... sure thing? Tell that to all of us Marlin fans.

Looper IS the surest thing in the Mets BP...

DeJean

Fortunato

Heredia

Seo

Yates

Looper

Moreno (I think he may not be ready for next season due to injury)

Strickland

This makes me :throwup:

Guest Failed Mascot
For what its worth, Atlanta is denying the Mondesi deal. I can't see why any team would want him at this point, honestly.

His arm?

For what its worth, Atlanta is denying the Mondesi deal.  I can't see why any team would want him at this point, honestly.

His arm?

It WOULD make a good back-scratcher.

Looper IS the surest thing in the Mets BP...

DeJean

Fortunato

Heredia

Seo

Yates

Looper

Moreno (I think he may not be ready for next season due to injury)

Strickland

Are they going to bring back Ricky Bottalico? He had a surprisingly good year in 2004.