TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cerebus

The OaO Election Day (Month?) Thread

Guest MikeSC
Louisiana is really corrupt, but I don't think that counts for much

That almost goes without saying. LA is a joke.

-=Mike

One ballot, 10 candidates.

Louisiana's open primary - the product of drinking

Louisiana - "Vote for the crook. It's important"

Any state where David Duke is not a SIGNIFICANTLY worse candidate for Governor than the guy who won is just sad.

-=Mike

...Edwards was REALLY shitty...

As a civil servant in Louisiana, I actually have to inform you of the sad fact that prisoner #100069KY (Edwards, Edwin) was actually a better governor than Dave Treen (79-83), Buddy Roemer (87-91), Mike Foster (95-2004), and Kathleen Babineaux Thibideaux Robichaux Don't-know-my-head-from-my-assheaulx Blanco (2004-2008... I hope).

Blanco in particular is fucking pathetic, as she is largely ineffective and follows the pattern that Foster set up, except when it comes to attempting to bring businesses to LA. Unfortunately, her idea is to write off millions in tax revenue to bring these companies in without thinking of how to make up for that loss. (I'. the database guru for the Dept. of Revenue and I can tell you that the large chemical companies get HUGE sales tax breaks compared to retail stores)

Edwards, OTOH, kept things running smoothly and got his cut as a kickback on the sly rather than out of the state budget. Not exactly an upstanding guy but certainly better than anyone who's followed him.

Is the LA political system's motto: "Hey, why not the worst?"

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Louisiana - "We're still better than Mississippi"

Louisiana: Tamany Hall Was a Bunch of Pussies.

-=Mike

You know, in late 01-02, if you told me Bush would be re-elected, I would laughed in your face.

Times change.

In 03, Bush made probably the worst mistake in his administration histroy by going to Iraq. The moment he layed down the ultimatum to Saddam, I KNEW this would fuck up his chances at winning the election, and I stand correct today.

John Kerry will defeat George W. Bush tommorrow, Wednesday, Thursday (sorry to all of the Republican supporters), but it's going to happen, so it's time to prepare for the future Kerry/Edwards White house.

Yes, I know i've said that line alot, but who gives a fuck?

Guest MikeSC
You know, in late 01-02, if you told me Bush would be re-elected, I would laughed in your face.

Times change.

In 03, Bushm made probably the worst mistake in his administration histroy by going to Iraq. The moment he layed down the ultimatum to Saddam, I KNEW this would fuck up his chances at winning the election, and I stand correct today.

John Kerry will defeat George W. Bush tommorrow, Wednesday, Thursday (sorry to all of the Republican supporters), but it's going to happen, so it's time to prepare for the future Kerry/Edwards White house.

Keep believing it. I'm sure the Dems will make the same statements when they lose.

-=Mike

As a civil servant in Louisiana, I actually have to inform you of the sad fact that prisoner #100069KY (Edwards, Edwin) was actually a better governor than Dave Treen (79-83), Buddy Roemer (87-91), Mike Foster (95-2004), and Kathleen Babineaux Thibideaux Robichaux Don't-know-my-head-from-my-assheaulx Blanco (2004-2008... I hope).

Blanco in particular is fucking pathetic, as she is largely ineffective and follows the pattern that Foster set up, except when it comes to attempting to bring businesses to LA. Unfortunately, her idea is to write off millions in tax revenue to bring these companies in without thinking of how to make up for that loss. (I'. the database guru for the Dept. of Revenue and I can tell you that the large chemical companies get HUGE sales tax breaks compared to retail stores)

Edwards, OTOH, kept things running smoothly and got his cut as a kickback on the sly rather than out of the state budget. Not exactly an upstanding guy but certainly better than anyone who's followed him.

Is the LA political system's motto: "Hey, why not the worst?"

-=Mike

1. I think that the Open Primary system was an alternative that came around when White Primaries were outlawed.

A White Primary was a rule that said that only whites could vote in the Democrat Primary which, in the South, was the only party at the time.

I don't know if Louisiana in particular had them but I know that Mississippi and other states did.

2. The state's motto is "Goddammit, we either get someone from the looney fucking left or a guy who looks at home saying 'Heil Hitler!'", but we occasionally sneak decent candidates into the general election. Too bad that Duke's fucking racist asshole voters decided to vote for Blanco over Bobby Jindal for Governor.

On the plus side, Jindal looks like a lock to get David Vitter's House seat that he vacated to run for the Senate. Since Jindal was brought into DC as a Bush appointee in 2000, he'll probably get a plum spot for a freshman Congressman.

I have no idea who will win. As I see my country is about to be destroyed domestically, I, along with the rest of the world really, sincerely hope that Kerry wins. However, I have no idea if Americans will vote that way.

I still have zero worries whatsoever.

Bush 300+ EV. 52% of the pop. vote.

-=Mike

...The INTERNALS of the polls indicate a race not nearly as close as the numbers...

To Slapnuts-

Delaware is big enough to have a committee?

Mike-

Are the internal numbers saying Bush is gonna kick his ass in Florida? Because I've noticed he didn't campaign there that much this weekend which makes me think his campaign knows something I don't.

Ohio looks to be going Kerry.

My 282 is based on Florida, Ohio, Iowa all going W.

bad that Duke's fucking racist asshole voters decided to vote for Blanco over Bobby Jindal for Governor.

Hopefully you can see this.. this is the county map of Louisiana for Jindal/Blanco:

ge2003LA.gif

I recall there being some article sorta countering the "Duke voters gave it to Blanco" claim. (and St. Tammany, the parish which Duke was the GOP chairman for some reason, went for Jindal. I'm just mentioning that)

So.. will Vitter need a runoff?

Times change.

In 03, Bush made probably the worst mistake in his administration histroy by going to Iraq. The moment he layed down the ultimatum to Saddam, I KNEW this would fuck up his chances at winning the election, and I stand correct today.

If Bush wins will you admit you were wrong?

I was really confident in early September but the first debate really helped turn things around for Kerry and I think it's the reason why the race is so close today.

In 2000 I was really excited because I actually campaigned for Rick Lazio and I wanted him to win. Seeing him get his ass kicked really upset me so I needed Bush to win before I went insane.

This year- I'm not concerned about Senator. I know Schumer is going to win and my vote for Marilyn O'Grady was because Mills is a RINO and O'Grady is pro-lifer against the Jets stadium.

Question for Mike:

Have you heard of O'Grady and if so- your thoughts?

To Slapnuts-

BEHOLD~! http://www.delawaregop.com/

It's actually fun because a lot of our local and state races have a chance. Bill Lee is really surging in the polls and could upset Minner as governor tommorow. It's at least a less lopsided state politically than Maryland.

Im concerned about Ohio, but it seems Bush has maintained a razor thin lead.

Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania is still it. Whoever wins 2 out of 3 will be the president.

http://daschlevthune.typepad.com/daschle_v_thune/

The link above is to a liveblog of the Daschle vs. Thune court case over voter intimidation. Apparently, things are not going well for Daschle, although the judge is, in not much of a surprise, an old Daschle friend that has help him out in the past.

(The judge was Daschle's lawyer when he sued his way to a Senate victory in 1978)

I think the Zogby stuff from 2000 had Lazio/Hillary as a close race. I think they called it for Hillary after about 500 votes were counted. That must have been pretty crushing.

I've been feeling confident. I'd say there's been a move towards Kerry in the last week or so. I don't think the Osama tape has done much to help Bush either.

Bush can lose Ohio and still get in via Wisconsin and Iowa.

I'm starting to make more conservative friends up in Canada but I think I'm gonna be in my room eating pizza watching nervously and praying.

I think the Zogby stuff from 2000 had Lazio/Hillary as a close race. I think they called it for Hillary after about 500 votes were counted. That must have been pretty crushing.

I've been feeling confident. I'd say there's been a move towards Kerry in the last week or so. I don't think the Osama tape has done much to help Bush either.

I remember Hillary was winning but I don't think anyone expected her to win as big as she did.

Republicans rejoice- The Bob Barron curse is in effect.

In 2000 I met Rick Lazio. He lost to Hillary Clinton.

In 2004 I met Stephen Harper. He lost to Paul Martin.

So the two times I've met candidates in an election year- they've lost.

I met John Kerry this year.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Got a link to the parish-by-parish results? I want to see the numbers from Jefferson Parish and other suburban New Orleans parishes that are majority white.

My thesis is that the Duke supporters in Jefferson et all bled support away from Jindal in vastly Republican areas.

Bush can lose Ohio and still get in via Wisconsin and Iowa.

I have Iowa counted in my totals already. Wisconsin has been consistently going for Kerry.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've met Bob Dole and Libby Dole in 1996...

Bob, of course, got his ass handed to him in 96. Libby did all right in 2000 though.

Guest MikeSC
I still have zero worries whatsoever.

Bush 300+ EV. 52% of the pop. vote.

-=Mike

...The INTERNALS of the polls indicate a race not nearly as close as the numbers...

To Slapnuts-

Mike-

Are the internal numbers saying Bush is gonna kick his ass in Florida? Because I've noticed he didn't campaign there that much this weekend which makes me think his campaign knows something I don't.

Ohio looks to be going Kerry.

My 282 is based on Florida, Ohio, Iowa all going W.

Kerry is losing hope in FL (some of his staffers are saying it might be easier to pick up OH's votes).

Just some internals, from the NY Times poll:

48% of voters say they're voting for domestic security. 33% for economy. HUGE Bush advantage there.

54% feel Bush made them safer. 29% feel he didn't.

53% feel Kerry doesn't agree with their priorities --- Kerry's worst number yet.

49% believe Bush agrees with their priorities, 48% says he doesn't agree with their priorities

52% think Kerry has leadership qualities --- his lowest number to date

62% think Bush has leadership qualities

57% are unsure of how Kerry would handle a crisis

60% think Kerry says what people want to hear. 37% say that about Bush.

Kerry is still below 80% of the black vote --- Gore had 92%.

There is virtually no gender gap amongst women --- women tend to vote Democratic fairly heavily

-=Mike

...And, no, I've not heard of O'Grady yet...

Wisconsin has been all over the map even though it's leaning Bush.

Nader is on the ballot in Wisconsin and he tends to do well in those states.

Here are the numbers:

RCP Average | 10/23-11/1 - - 47.7 46.8 1.7 Bush +0.9

Zogby | 10/29-11/1 601 LV 4.1 45 51 - Kerry +6

FOX News | 10/30-31 700 LV 3.0 48 45 1 Bush +3

Strategic Vision ® | 10/29-31 801 LV 3.0 48 46 1 Bush +2

CNN/USAT/Gallup | 10/27-30 1119 LV 4.0 52 44 - Bush +8

Mason-Dixon | 10/27-29 625 LV 4.0 46 48 - Kerry +2

ARG | 10/25-10/27 601 LV 4.1 47 48 1 Kerry +1

Badger Poll | 10/23-10/27 545 LV 4.1 48 45 3 Bush +3

Strategic Vision is NOT counted in the average

Got a link to the parish-by-parish results? I want to see the numbers from Jefferson Parish and other suburban New Orleans parishes that are majority white.

My thesis is that the Duke supporters in Jefferson et all bled support away from Jindal in vastly Republican areas.

and hopefully this works too

http://uselectionatlas.org/GOVERNOR/GENERA...datatype=county

there may have been a slight swing in Jefferson Parish. And if you consider that the last Democrat Presidential candidate to win there was Kennedy.. it's a bit of a stronghold.

I'd imagine the Duke voters will probably swing back to supporting the whitest candidate in 2007.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've met Bob Dole and Libby Dole in 1996...

Bob, of course, got his ass handed to him in 96. Libby did all right in 2000 though.

I would love to meet Bob Dole- If only just to see how dead on Norm's impression was.

And to Rob-

If Babe Ruth can curse a baseball team- I can curse one election.

I may have met Chuck Schumer the year he ran for Senator- he was still campaigning for the primary at that point so it may have been 1997

Well, Wisconsin just seems like a state that will vote Democrat, along with its neighbors Minnesota and Michigan. I don't take them seriously as swing states.

Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida along with New Mexico and Iowa will be the big swing states.

Times change.

In 03, Bushm made probably the worst mistake in his administration histroy by going to Iraq. The moment he layed down the ultimatum to Saddam, I KNEW this would fuck up his chances at winning the election, and I stand correct today.

Keep believing it. I'm sure the Dems will make the same statements when they lose.

-=Mike

Hey, I like Bush, but I'm just saying he's going to lose tommorrow.