TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Iraq

Just wanted to get a discussion about Iraq going. Not really about what's happened so far, more what will and should happen.

Know most of us will agree the job must be finished. The question is how we go about this. More troops, another attempt to bring in allies, maybe a more agressive approach in what we have. IMO...we have the troops in Iraq to do the job and beat the terrorists.

Second. With the assualt on Fallujah expected very soon. I think the President should address the battle and Iraq in general. For the campaign it's been a very positive attitude. Know i'll give the President the benefit of the doubt and say some of that was political...has not to give the opposing party ammo. Also, i'm sure positive steps are being taken. However things have not gone according to plan.

Lastly. I think President Bush should address the nation. Be honest. Tell the people the administraton and himself should of known there would be a large flood of outside terrorists, and Baathist loyalists. Knowing what a stable democracy would do to terrorists and supports of a brutal dictator this should not of suprised us. This kind of fierce resistence should of been expected. So also should the possibility of high casualty rates.

It was also wrong to think all Iraqi people would greet us with smiles. Many have, and many are grateful. However the Iraqi people first and foremost yearn to run their own country. Too many we look like occupiers. Let me assure you we are not. We are working hard with the Iraqi gov't to not only defeat the terrorist but to hold elections and continue the steps towards democracy. The sooner these things take place. The sooner coalition forces can leave Iraq, democracy can truly strive.

This may be a dumb question but...

What if the people of Iraq elect an Islamic fundamentalist regime?

Odds are we turn it into a golf course...or a Arab Disney Land.

Guest MikeSC
Mikey Moore is fat...

And your name is Frank, ain't it?

If not, it should be.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Yes, it is, sadly. I hate that name, but it could have been worse. If I were a chick, my name would be Francine...

If I were a chick, I'd be named Jocelyn. Only Jocelyn I ever knew was insanely bangable.

-=Mike

...And since Frank has already weighed in, should this thread be closed?

Guest MikeSC

Madeline is a really, really bad name.

-=Mike

...CE: Discussing chick names as an issue...

Guest CronoT

It's interesting to see that the two "gentlemen" who bitch the most about trolling and spam were the first ones to go and do it here.

Guest MikeSC
It's interesting to see that the two "gentlemen" who bitch the most about trolling and spam were the first ones to go and do it here.

Nice of you to bitch about people spamming by spamming.

-=Mike

Guest CronoT
What are you talking about, hippie? I NEVER bitch about trolling and spamming. If anything, I saved Vern's thread...

If you mean "saved," in the same way that you cut off a dog's balls to "save" his kids, then yes.

Guest Banders Kennany

I don't understand why Mike had to go and try to ruin this thread. Ridiculous.

I think if Iraq tried to elect a fundamentalist extreme team for their government, we'd have to step in and do something. It would make us look bad for interfering when we claim to bring democracy, but overall we would be stemming a negative tide. Stopping a government like that would be the best thing for the future.

I think such an event would be the effective end in many American's minds of thinking we can make the difference in the Middle East. It would be a terrible reality if this situation ever came to be, whether we stop it or we don't. I couldn't see how anyone could believe the War on Terror is remotely winnable if something of this magitude happened.

"If a society is not in reasonable health, democracy can be not only risky but disastrous....not that dictatorship is good and democracy bad but that democracy emerges successfully only as a capstone to other social and economic achievements."

-- Robert Kablan, The Coming Anarchy

Iraq is unstable, to be certain. While it may very possibly blossom into a healthy democracy, it's simply not going to work in its current form, and the transition is going to be long and brutal.

There's always the threat of that power vacuum, which provides vast opportunity for another Saddam or theocracy to take its place.

This has been my main contention since the start. While spreading Democracy in Iraq is a noble and admirable idea, you have the Shiites and the Sunni(?) who have been fighting forever. They've somewhat united to FIGHT us, but once we leave they will be at eachother's throats.

Guest MikeSC
I don't understand why Mike had to go and try to ruin this thread. Ridiculous.

Wow, you ARE a shitty poster. I now recognize you --- and remember why I worked to ignore you.

Now that the shitbrick is dealt with, let's look at this:

Fact is:

1) Yes, Iraq could easily elect a theocratic regime. That's the risk of giving people the vote.

2) That being said, no, it won't happen. Allawi will very likely win the election and he's shown me, to date, to be somebody willing to work towards an equal society.

Iraq won't be the U.S for a long while. There won't be equal rights for all for many years to come. That is a fact of life. We're going to have people who will want to cut off ALL support from them because they aren't as into equal rights as we are.

What happens if they do it? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I see no reason to expect them to do that.

Can anybody name ANY country that VOTED for a theocratic dictatorship?

-=Mike

Guest Olympic Slam

Interesting theory I heard on the radio a month or two ago:

The plan by the U.S all along was for Iraq to be unstable. Instability would make Iraq a magnet for Al-Qaida and other terrorists to come to and battle the Americans.

Iraq in essence, would then become like one giant mouse trap. Instead of having to go into Libya, Iran, Syria, and throw our weight around to hunt down those tiny and obscure band of terrorists, we lure as many as we could into one central location to take them on at once.

Its a brilliant strategy if that was indeed the plan. We'll never know for sure because its a super secret strategy that never ever could be publicy admitted for obvious reasons.

Looking at the Mid-East, if you had to pick a "base of operations" to battle the terrorists, Iraq would have to be one of the best choices. No more Saddam, strategic location, oil. It all starts to make a lot more sense.

EDIT: As for the hot chick names: I've never met a Crystal that wasn't a robo-hot 10.

Interesting theory I heard on the radio a month or two ago:

The plan by the U.S all along was for Iraq to be unstable. Instability would make Iraq a magnet for Al-Qaida and other terrorists to come to and battle the Americans.

Iraq in essence, would then become like one giant mouse trap. Instead of having to go into Libya, Iran, Syria, and throw our weight around to hunt down those tiny and obscure band of terrorists, we lure as many as we could into one central location to take them on at once.

Its a brilliant strategy if that was indeed the plan. We'll never know for sure because its a super secret strategy that never ever could be publicy admitted for obvious reasons.

Looking at the Mid-East, if you had to pick a "base of operations" to battle the terrorists, Iraq would have to be one of the best choices. No more Saddam, strategic location, oil. It all starts to make a lot more sense.

That certainly is an interesting idea, but it seems also a bit too far-fetched, with way too many variables that could go wrong.

As for chick names, Alex's or Amanda's normally seem to be quite hot