TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kkktookmybabyaway

Let's contain the liberal post-election hysteria

Guest MikeSC
I've made my thoughts on the South clear in the past, but there's a very unsettling mindset among my liberal friends that all Southerners are inbred hicks who hate gays, women and blacks, a line I used to trumpet as well. But I'm Southern and I'm not like that, so I should have taken offense.

Heck, you want to be crude --- when the South was governed by bigots and Klansmen, it was fervently Democratic.

When that stopped, they became fervently Republican.

-=Mike

I've made my thoughts on the South clear in the past, but there's a very unsettling mindset among my liberal friends that all Southerners are inbred hicks who hate gays, women and blacks, a line I used to trumpet as well. But I'm Southern and I'm not like that, so I should have taken offense.

Heck, you want to be crude --- when the South was governed by bigots and Klansmen, it was fervently Democratic.

-=Mike

And then when LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act they lost the South.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

And the South went to the side that supported the bill.

Odd how that works.

-=Mike

...Keep in mind, after LBJ, they had a tendency of running inept boobs from the North (Mondale, McGovern, Dukakis)...

-=Mike

Odd how that works.

-=Mike

...Keep in mind, after LBJ, they had a tendency of running inept boobs from the North (Mondale, McGovern, Dukakis)...

"The "Solid South" began to erode when Democratic President Harry S. Truman took steps toward supporting the civil rights movement. His policies, combined with the adoption of a civil rights plank in the 1948 Democratic platform, prompted many Southerners to walk out of the Democratic National Convention and form the Dixiecrat Party. This splinter party was significant only in the 1948 election; the Dixiecrat candidate, Strom Thurmond, carried Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. In the elections of 1952 and 1956, the popular Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower carried several southern states, although the South was still the bastion for his Democratic opponent, Adlai Stevenson.

In the 1960 election, the Democratic nominee, John F. Kennedy, continued his party's tradition of selecting a Southerner as the Vice Presidential candidate (in this case, Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas). Kennedy, however, supported civil rights, partly at the strong urging of his brother Robert. In October 1960, when civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested at a peaceful sit-in in Atlanta, Georgia, Kennedy placed a sympathetic phone call to King's wife, Coretta Scott King, and Robert Kennedy telephoned the judge and helped secure King's release. King expressed his appreciation for these calls. Although King himself made no endorsement, his father, who had previously endorsed Republican Richard Nixon, switched his support to Kennedy. The Democrats, however, lost ground with pro-segregation whites. The 1960 election was the first one in which the Republican candidate, although losing nationally, received electoral votes in the South. Nixon carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida. In addition, conservative Democratic Senator Harry Byrd received some electoral votes from unpledged electors in Mississippi and Alabama (as well as Oklahoma).

The reversal of the parties' roles on the civil rights issue was complete by the 1964 election. The Democratic candidate, Johnson, having become President after Kennedy's assassination, had signed into law the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His Republican opponent, Senator Barry Goldwater, had voted against it. Johnson won a landslide victory. Goldwater carried his home state of Arizona, but the rest of his electoral votes all came from the South. In just eight years, from 1956 to 1964, the region that had seen almost the only victories by a Democratic challenger against a popular Republican incumbent had switched to providing almost the only victories for a Republican challenger against a popular Democratic incumbent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_South

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Odd how that works.

-=Mike

"The "Solid South" began to erode when Democratic President Harry S. Truman took steps toward supporting the civil rights movement. His policies, combined with the adoption of a civil rights plank in the 1948 Democratic platform, prompted many Southerners to walk out of the Democratic National Convention and form the Dixiecrat Party. This splinter party was significant only in the 1948 election; the Dixiecrat candidate, Strom Thurmond, carried Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. In the elections of 1952 and 1956, the popular Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower carried several southern states, although the South was still the bastion for his Democratic opponent, Adlai Stevenson.

In the 1960 election, the Democratic nominee, John F. Kennedy, continued his party's tradition of selecting a Southerner as the Vice Presidential candidate (in this case, Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas). Kennedy, however, supported civil rights, partly at the strong urging of his brother Robert. In October 1960, when civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested at a peaceful sit-in in Atlanta, Georgia, Kennedy placed a sympathetic phone call to King's wife, Coretta Scott King, and Robert Kennedy telephoned the judge and helped secure King's release. King expressed his appreciation for these calls. Although King himself made no endorsement, his father, who had previously endorsed Republican Richard Nixon, switched his support to Kennedy. The Democrats, however, lost ground with pro-segregation whites. The 1960 election was the first one in which the Republican candidate, although losing nationally, received electoral votes in the South. Nixon carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida. In addition, conservative Democratic Senator Harry Byrd received some electoral votes from unpledged electors in Mississippi and Alabama (as well as Oklahoma).

The reversal of the parties' roles on the civil rights issue was complete by the 1964 election. The Democratic candidate, Johnson, having become President after Kennedy's assassination, had signed into law the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His Republican opponent, Senator Barry Goldwater, had voted against it. Johnson won a landslide victory. Goldwater carried his home state of Arizona, but the rest of his electoral votes all came from the South. In just eight years, from 1956 to 1964, the region that had seen almost the only victories by a Democratic challenger against a popular Republican incumbent had switched to providing almost the only victories for a Republican challenger against a popular Democratic incumbent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_South

Spin it how you wish. When the South was governed by racists and segregationists, we were solidly Democratic. When we were not, we became Republicans.

-=Mike

Okay. Lemme break it down for y'all.

1964--Civil Rights Act becomes law.

LBJ--signed the Civil Rights Act.

vs.

Goldwater--voted against it.

The South votes overwhelmingly for Goldwater.

That's no spin, my man.

Guest MikeSC
Okay. Lemme break it down for y'all.

1964--Civil Rights Act becomes law.

LBJ--signed the Civil Rights Act.

vs.

Goldwater--voted against it.

The South votes overwhelmingly for Goldwater.

That's no spin, my man.

GOP overwhelmingly supported the Act. And the Voting Rights Act, to boot.

Blame the bigoted Southern Democrats for that problem. You know, the Fulbrights and Gores of the world.

You're doing nothing but spinning at this point.

-=Mike

Did I deny this?

Blame the bigoted Southern Democrats for that problem.

What problem?

Nobody claimed that the Democratic Party wasn't chock-full-o-bigots during this period.

The article argues that the positions of the parties on civil rights shifted post-Civil Rights Act.

Explain to me why the South didn't break for a Republican presidential nominee until Goldwater ran against LBJ.

Guest MikeSC

Did I deny this?

Blame the bigoted Southern Democrats for that problem.

What problem?

Nobody claimed that the Democratic Party wasn't chock-full-o-bigots during this period.

The article argues that the positions of the parties on civil rights shifted post-Civil Rights Act.

Explain to me why the South didn't break for a Republican presidential nominee until Goldwater ran against LBJ.

If the South was so racist, why did they go for Carter?

The Republicans didn't even exist in any degree in the South until Strom became a Republican here (for most of the early 20th Century, Republican primaries weren't even held in the South).

1964 was the first time the GOP had enough groundwork laid down to win the South.

-=Mike

That was 3 elections later and Carter was a unique candidate. A very religious Georgian.

I don't think, by the way, that the South is unabashedly racist anymore. I'm a southerner myself and I think we've come a long way.

I was just arguing that civil rights was the issue that pushed the South away from the Dems in the 60s. The results of the '64 Presidential election are hard to ignore.

1964 was the first time the GOP had enough groundwork laid down to win the South.

And I'm the spinster?

Guest MikeSC

That was 3 elections later and Carter was a unique candidate. A very religious Georgian.

I don't think, by the way, that the South is unabashedly racist anymore. I'm a southerner myself and I think we've come a long way.

I was just arguing that civil rights was the issue that pushed the South away from the Dems in the 60s. The results of the '64 Presidential election are hard to ignore.

And I'm the spinster?

ElectoralCollege1960.png

This is the 1960 electoral map. The South was already splintering at that point.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
C'mon, fight him Mike. Are you going to let him talk to you like that?

Why would I care what a smelly, pot-addled hippie thinks?

-=Mike

Hahaha! Surely one of the Bushites here will take the challenge?

Actually, most of them will just shrug it off.

Course, I would find it hilarious if a 6'6 guy that weighed 300 pounds that was all muscle and had his testicles removed so he could be a better fighter took him up on the offer.

Ask for something stupid, get what you deserve I say.

Guest MikeSC
Don't make me call you a chicken.

:P

Feel free. I, personally, find the depression of the left to be a source of endless amusement. In 2000, they had rage --- which I thought was the funniest thing I've ever seen (pissed-off libs = comic gold).

Now, they're morose --- and that's even MORE enjoyable.

-=Mike

...Halo 2 is good...

And I'm the spinster?

ElectoralCollege1960.png

This is the 1960 electoral map. The South was already splintering at that point.

-=Mike

Still pretty solid Dem, with some sprinklings of support for the radical segregationalist Byrd.

You're arguing that Goldwater's voting against the Civil Rights Act had nothing to do with his securing of the South in '64?

Guest MikeSC

I'm suggesting the GOP was making inroads and 1964 was when they broke through. No, I do not think that opposition to the Civil Rights Act is what caused it (especially since they went to a party that was even MORE supportive of it).

-=Mike

I'm suggesting the GOP was making inroads and 1964 was when they broke through. No, I do not think that opposition to the Civil Rights Act is what caused it (especially since they went to a party that was even MORE supportive of it).

-=Mike

But Goldwater wasn't.

And there were still a lot of Dem Congressman in the South after '64.

Guest MikeSC
...Halo 2 is good...

My friend got it yesterday, we're gonna play it tonight *nuts himself*.

How is it different from 1?

Well, I honestly loathed Halo 1. Didn't like it at all. This one is awesome multi-player and the enemies are quite clever.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=5652

How about some conservative hysteria while we're at it?

Yup, that dude is a total fucktard.

QUOTE (A MikeSC @ Nov 9 2004, 04:48 PM)

-=Mike

But Goldwater wasn't.

And there were still a lot of Dem Congressman in the South after '64.

There WERE a lot of Dem Congressmen until the racists finally stepped down. The South is big on loyalty --- which explains how the utterly detestable Fritz Hollings stayed in office down here until this past election.

-=Mike

Except look how they voted.

Do not take the Republican's bullshit on that Southerners won't vote Democrat ever and say that it's a result of us "making fun of them." These people gave Bill Clinton the nickname "Bubba" for eight years and made fun of him being some kind of uncultured swine who was throwing parties in the White House.

So I take their suggestions with a massive salt lick.

Guest UncleKimmyGibler

Bill Clinton is slick and sexy and smoooooooooooth talkin like this other guy I know

Jesse Katsopolous

Hola Tannerinos

Wait...my state is in the United States of Canada...

SON OF A BITCH! :angry:

Me too, but I'm right next to Jesusland, so can drive across the "border" and buy fireworks.'

How about some conservative hysteria while we're at it?

Start your own thread, hippie...