TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Arrested Development Season 2

It's come to my realization that GOB, or rather Will Arnett, can take perfectly mundane lines and make them hilarious. When Lindsey comes up with the scheme to open a bead shop and he starts out of the couch and shouts 'BEES?!' it always makes me crack up.

'Oh, great, guess it's time to jump on top of Kitty again! Everytime this family gets in trouble it's "Oh, let's have GOB fuck his way out of it!"

If you have the DVDs, check out the commentary. There's lots of funny stuff, especially the actors pointing out when they're cracking up in the background (particularly noticeable when Tobias walks into breakfast nude and GOB gives his 'big bear' eulogy). You can tell they have a wonderful time making this show. Wish I had a Nielson box, as it's the only thing I watch (at least until the FX shows come on again.)

I love how the bleeps have made it in every episode as running gags. My all time favorite is from "Bringing Up Buster", though.

(After Buster's 30-second long censored tirade)

Michael: Well...no one's gonna top that.

Guest Askewniverse

Michael: "So this is the Aztec Tomb trick."

Gob: "Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money...or candy."

Jessie: "There are very few intelligent, attractive, straight men in this town."

Tobias: "Well, that leaves me out. She did say single, right? I thought she said single."

Guest Askewniverse
YEAH! STEVEHOLT! Please tell me Steve Holt makes more appearances. STEVEHOLT!

BEATRIX!

Guest Flyboy
OH MY GOD WE'RE HAVING A FIRE sale! OH, THE BURNING! OH MY GOD! EVACUATE THE SCHOOLCHILDREN!! AMAAAAAAA-ZIIING GRAAAAACE....OH GOD I CAN BARELY SEE THE KNOB! OH MY GOD!

and....scene.

That's one of my favorite moments. When Tobias busted out with "Amazing Grace", I lost it.

It's come to my realization that GOB, or rather Will Arnett, can take perfectly mundane lines and make them hilarious. When Lindsey comes up with the scheme to open a bead shop and he starts out of the couch and shouts 'BEES?!' it always makes me crack up.

Gob: Nothing works in this house.

Michael: Tell me about it.

Lindsay: Was that directed at me?

Gob: Probably.

Lindsay: I have a job.

Michael: Really, what kind of job.

Lindsay: Beads.

Gob: BEES?!?

Lindsay: Beads.

Gob: BEADS?!?

Also good:

Gob: Oh, and now I'm expected to climb on top of Kitty and do my thing again! I mean, this family runs into problems, it's "oh let's have Gob fuck our way out of it!"

While we're talking about the DVDs, I feel the need to mention two deleted scenes.

Lucille Two makes a joke about George Senior's arrest, and Lucille fires back with "No amout of money can bring your husband back from the dead".

After Maeby calls Michael to tell him George Michael is going to burn down the banana stand, GOB insists they take the Segway, which gets a top speed to .4 MPH with two people riding it. Michael gets off and runs, while GOB waits for it to power up.

Good stuff.

I must admit, having caught only part of an episode half way through last season, and then only seeing one episode in the middle of the season, I wasn't really sold on the greatness of this show.

However, nonetheless, I borrowed the season one DVD's from my sister's fiance, and as tough for me as this is to say, this show might even be funnier than Curb Your Enthusiasm (which, along with Seinfeld are my two favourite comedies).

The show just keeps getting funnier and funnier. Last night I watched the first episode with the blind prosecuting attorney. The whole sequence where Michael comes back to the house after the attempted one night stand is gold.

Gob: I told you to give her a fake name.

Michael: I did. I'm Charuth Cutestory, a pirate lawyer, it was air tight.

Gob: Boy, you had to really work hard to bag that blind girl, huh?.

With the whole scene topped off by Gob's exclamation that "You just won the gold medal at the sexual special olympics. She can't ever find you again. Can't you see that you're so... lucky."

Also loved the following sequence:

Gob: Hey guy, they tell me you're the one who plays Marta's brother Tio.

Actor: Como?

Gob: Oh, you're going to be in a coma alright.

Narrator: Unfortunately, the actor who played Tio had also starred in a Mexican film about the life of Oscar De La Hoya

Michael: Gob, hey, hey, are you alright?

Gob: Where am I? Am I in... two-thirds of a hospital room?

And I have to agree, Gob may be the greatest character on television.

Gob: Oh, you're going to be in a como alright.

Sorry, but as someone who speaks a little Spanish, I really love those jokes, and that line just makes that one.

Another Great Moment: In God We Trust

"Where is God?"

"THERE IS NO GOD."

The lady deliver that line sounds like she's in an English B-movie from the fifties, and it may be one of the greatest line readings in history.

Guest Askewniverse

I watched Disc 3 again. The show seems to get better every time I see it.

Tobias using his "cat-like quickness" to sneak around Maggie's house in "Justice is Blind" was gold.

Gob's exchange with his wife in "Best Man for the Gob" still cracks me up.

Gob's wife: "I'm in love with your brother-in-law."

Gob: "You're in love with your own brother? The one in the army?"

Gob's wife: "No. I mean your sister's husband."

Gob: "Michael?"

Gob's wife: "No. That's your sister's brother."

Gob: "No, I'm my sister's brother. You're in love with me?"

Gob's wife: "No. I'm in love with Tobias."

Gob: "My brother-in-law?"

Gob's wife: "I know it can never be, so I'm leaving. I'm enlisting in the army."

Gob: "To be with your brother?"

Gob's wife: "NO!"

Guest Failed Mascot

I watched this for the first time because of Czech. I liked Martin Short's character.