TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

President Bush to nominate Gonzales

FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON — White House counsel Alberto Gonzales (search) has been chosen by President Bush to be the next attorney general, U.S. officials confirmed to FOX News on Wednesday. An announcement from the White House could come later Wednesday.

Guest MikeSC
FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON — White House counsel Alberto Gonzales (search) has been chosen by President Bush to be the next attorney general, U.S. officials confirmed to FOX News on Wednesday. An announcement from the White House could come later Wednesday.

Definitely not a far-right conservative no matter what the left says. A Hispanic, which will make Pickering-esque character assassination nigh impossible.

Could be a solid choice. I do think Ashcroft did a decent job (infinitely better than Reno), but he's too divisive for Bush to keep.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
I'll miss Ashcroft's Oak Ridge Boys-style songs.

Ashcroft is a solidly underappreciated AG. Not a fun guy whatsoever, but he handled an ugly situation as well as could be expected.

After the previous 8 years, Ashcroft was a miracle worker.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Ashcroft handled an ugly situation as well as could be expected, but still, there was always something that just seemed creepy about the guy. I hope the Patriot Act isn't a permanent thing.

Oh, he was a dorky guy to the nth degree. But, he had a deep honorable streak in him. Heck, he lost to "The dead guy" because he stopped campaigning completely after the death.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
I don't like the fact people hate Ashcroft because of his strong religious beliefs.

You can make fun of Christians today. They need somebody to make fun of.

-=Mike

I don't like the fact people hate Ashcroft because of his strong religious beliefs.

I don't hate Ashcroft for his religion, I just had problems with parts of the Patriot Act. I mean, I could see why it was passed and all, but there are some things that should really not be permanent.

Anyone is better than Reno....

I would be.

Is "foreseeked" a word, Highland?

-=Mike

I'm not sure: it's supposed to be from Star Wars, but I don't have the set, so either I'm misquoting it, or Lucas is wrong.

Either way I freely admit to taking liberties with the word.

I don't hate Ashcroft for his religion, I just had problems with parts of the Patriot Act. I mean, I could see why it was passed and all, but there are some things that should really not be permanent.

I know you don't Czech and don't think anyone here bases their hate solely on religion. However, the anti-christian leftist of the country make no qualms about why the detest Ashcroft.

Quit trying to impose your Jesus-freak beliefs on me you red-state facist! (Oh yeah, you're a hippie, too...)

Listen bitch i'm for the bluest fucking state in the country. We haven't been red since Tricky Dick.

Guest MikeSC
Didn't Gonzalez also find ways around laws regarding torture?

No. He found ways to mention how the Geneva Conventions did not apply. He also had plenty of left-wing positions.

-=Mike

Quit trying to impose your Jesus-freak beliefs on me you red-state facist! (Oh yeah, you're a hippie, too...)

Listen bitch i'm for the bluest fucking state in the country. We haven't been red since Tricky Dick.

Holy shit, you're RIGHT. Mass went Republican in '84.

I'm wondering if in 2008, we can get Connecticut to swing to the GOP. Maybe Hillary Clinton will make another remark about how she hates Jews, and then Lieberman gets mad and endorses the Republicans instead.

No. He found ways to mention how the Geneva Conventions did not apply. He also had plenty of left-wing positions.

-=Mike

So, we're going to appoint someone to enforce the laws of this nation, who was able to find loopholes in the Geneva Conventions.

Makes a lot of sense.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

So, we're going to appoint someone to enforce the laws of this nation, who was able to find loopholes in the Geneva Conventions.

Makes a lot of sense.

No, somebody who recognizes to whom the Conventions apply.

You know, we already discussed that --- at some depth --- here.

And, no, it does not apply to terrorists.

-=Mike