TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

They were always 2 weeks behind in showing Nitro highlights at the end, which was odd, since Shotgun was always spot on, and I watched those shows back to back in the late 90's

I actually miss Worldwide 5 matches in an hour, mostly midcarders, never quite knew who was gonna win. Biggest matches were like Lizmark vs Ric Flair and Goldburg and Jerry Flynn and that was rare.

From Meltzer's update today:

"--For whatever it is worth, on Mark Madden's ESPN talk show this morning, when bringing up the retirement of Karl Malone, he talked about the WCW PPV show where Malone & DDP wrestled Hulk Hogan & Dennis Rodman. He said that when Malone and Rodman rolled around on the court during the NBA finals before the match that it was actually a work and something WCW asked them to do."

i remember, the first ever wrestling match i saw which got me hooked on wrestling. it was on wcw in 2000 and there was about ten wrestlers, fighting backstage i think that booker t and scott stiener were involved. i think jeff jarrett interfiered and scott steiner pinned one of the wrestlers, but booker then pinned stiener to win the hardcore title. can anyone clarify this?

Did Paul Heyman send police to get the ECW belt from Mike Awesome?

Tommy Dreamer said he did.

Did Awesome put up much of a fight?

It's not like Awesome really had much of a choice.

I do know that he was scared shitless about Tazz shooting on him

I think Awesome was more afraid of New Jack in the back than Tazz in the ring.

As I remember it, Awesome signed to WCW, Paul let him go on the condition the ECW title was shown on WCW TV, Awesome went back to do the job and turned up with WCW security, went to the ring and avoided the locker room lynching, did the job, walked right out and drove off with security in tow. RVD summarised the situation in an interview with Power Slam magazine.

Guest Loss

I should point out a few things:

Goldberg was NOT in the Roddy Piper segment in question.

I don't think Curly Bill was ever intended to make fun of Bill Watts. Virgil, however, was one of two WWF gimmicks designed to make fun of NWA guys, as they took Dusty Rhodes' real first name and made him subservient to Ted DiBiase. Akeem was the African Dream and was a total Dusty Rhodes slam.

I remember Nash "shooting" on Nitro in late '99 or early '00 in a promo towards Bret Hart where he kept cursing and the censors didn't block any of it out. What was this about and how come the language wasn't censored?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

From Cornette's shoot:

On a proposed rape angle for Baby Doll. Dusty was supposed to arrive at the arena and find Baby Doll missing. They would find an abandoned car in the parking lot with Baby Doll's legs hanging out of the open door. Dusty would run over to her and you'd hear a CRUNCH as Dusty Rhodes steps on Big Bubba Rogers' sunglasses. (I have to admit, that would be pretty cool.) For obvious reasons, that never happened.

From Cornette's shoot:

On a proposed rape angle for Baby Doll. Dusty was supposed to arrive at the arena and find Baby Doll missing. They would find an abandoned car in the parking lot with Baby Doll's legs hanging out of the open door. Dusty would run over to her and you'd hear a CRUNCH as Dusty Rhodes steps on Big Bubba Rogers' sunglasses. (I have to admit, that would be pretty cool.) For obvious reasons, that never happened.

Like I said earlieri n this thread.

Some of this stuff somewhat disturbs me.

That may have been interesting though.

I remember Nash "shooting" on Nitro in late '99 or early '00 in a promo towards Bret Hart where he kept cursing and the censors didn't block any of it out. What was this about and how come the language wasn't censored?

It was probably late '99, as Russo had written the angle for Hart to be opposed to the Outsiders when in fact it was all a scheme for the nWo 2000 to get all of the gold by Starrcade.

As for the censors...Vince himself has uttered the word "asshole" on TV. What kind of curse words was Nash using? Certain words merit a fine by the FCC. To stay edgy, Vince would simply pay the fines. The way things are going with the FCC now, that all may have changed, but I'm not sure about it in terms of cable TV.

Goldberg was NOT in the Roddy Piper segment in question.

I don't think Curly Bill was ever intended to make fun of Bill Watts. Virgil, however, was one of two WWF gimmicks designed to make fun of NWA guys, as they took Dusty Rhodes' real first name and made him subservient to Ted DiBiase. Akeem was the African Dream and was a total Dusty Rhodes slam.

Well, I just went on the logic that he was a cowboy, his name was Bill, Bill Watts had curly hair, and every other name Jones had used was a spoof.

Where did you get the info on Akeem being a jab at Rhodes?

It was probably late '99, as Russo had written the angle for Hart to be opposed to the Outsiders when in fact it was all a scheme for the nWo 2000 to get all of the gold by Starrcade.

As for the censors...Vince himself has uttered the word "asshole" on TV. What kind of curse words was Nash using? Certain words merit a fine by the FCC. To stay edgy, Vince would simply pay the fines. The way things are going with the FCC now, that all may have changed, but I'm not sure about it in terms of cable TV.

Nash said "shit" three times on Nitro that night and it wasn't censored. If I remember correctly, the reason it wasn't bleeped was simply because none of TNT's censors were paying attention to the show at the time.

Guest Mordecai's Cathedral
Also, Orndorff beating up Vader was a work purported by WCW to make him look bad if he jumped to the WWF. I think they did have a scuffle, but the story was purposely exaggerated.

From Vader's Shoot Interview (http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=34956)

The brawl with Paul Orndorff- Bischoff called him at his hotel and told him that he’d no-showed several photo shoots, fined him a few thousand dollars, and told him he HAD to be at the next scheduled one. Orndorff had no clue about that, as no one from the WCW office had told him, so he was pissed when Vader didn’t show up to do some interviews he was scheduled to do at the exact same time. Vader did the photo shoot, took a shower, and then got dressed and talking to Meng (Haku). Orndorff then walked in and started screaming at him. He told Orndorff that he wasn’t his boss and that Bischoff had told him he HAD to be at that photo shoot. Orndorff then started being a prick about it instead of asking him politely to go do the interviews and it just escalated from there. Orndorff then walked away, Terry Taylor walked up and they started talking about the situation, and Terry then asked him to go do the interviews, which he agreed to do.

While he was walking out to do the interviews, Orndorff came back and got in his face over it, calling him out. Orndorff kept inviting him to take a shot at him, so he slapped him across his face but he immediately realized it was wrong. Orndorff took a header, literally, as his feet came up as far in the air as his head had been and he landed head first on the floor. He walked over to check on Orndorff and then Paul started to swing at him. He then put down his hands and decided he wasn’t taking another shot at him because he wanted to stay employed. He just started dodging Orndorff’s blows as best as possible before finally blocking one of his blows and getting him in a front facelock. If he’s wanted to hurt Orndorff bad, he’d have never gotten back up after the first shot.

Immediately after the fight, Orndorff went into the offices with WCW administration and Vader could hear a bunch of shit about how he’d beaten up Orndorff so badly and that he’d sucker-punched him, wondering how that can happen if Orndorff’s in his face calling him a “no-good piece of shit” and begging him to take a swing at him. After hearing the verbal dick-sucking that Orndorff was getting for the executives over how he handled Vader, Vader kicked in the door and challenged Paul to go a few more rounds with him, reminding him that he hadn’t thrown a punch yet and that he was still standing after taking three shots from him in the face. Orndorff decided he wasn’t going to finish it at first and, finally, he came out and Vader got his ass on the ground. Vader would have taught Orndorff a lesson if Meng hadn’t broken it up. After he explained everything to Meng later, Meng says that he wouldn’t have broken it up in hindsight. Vader feels he has to take responsibility for the situation regardless of anything else because he’d hit Orndorff and had to pay the price, which ended up being that he lost his sweet deal with WCW which had been guaranteed for the next few years.

Vader feels there were some mitigating circumstances in play, as he’d been injured since Bash At The Beach and he had told Bischoff he was injured and couldn’t work. Since management had him penciled in to take on Flair and Arn in a handicap match at the next Pay Per View, he was told he HAD to do that match. Since management told him to work while hurt, Vader decreed that he was only going to be doing TV and PPV after that and absolutely no house shows. This didn't cause him to start drinking although it caused him to drink more and to take pain pills. He doesn’t think he would have been as ugly with Orndorff if he wasn’t taking 8 Percocets a day for those injuries he was told to work through. Vader tried to use this against Bischoff when it came time for a punishment but guys like Flair and Hogan saw an opportunity to get rid of him and turned up the heat backstage. He takes responsibility for what he did but says that Paul shouldn’t have done what he did.

There is no FCC fine for cable television. It's a myth. They have no jurisdiction over cable TV, as much as they'd like to.

Matt and Trey Parker explained the rules of cursing on TV after they did their episode of South Park where the word "Shit" was said 162 times in 24 minutes.

They said basically, the FCC has no regulation over basic cable, so anyone could do anything they wanted. The only problem is pissing off advertisers, because that's where majority of the money is made.

So, there's no way the government could have come down on Kevin Nash saying "Bullshit" 3 times on Nitro, because they have no control.

From Cornette's shoot:

Some of this stuff somewhat disturbs me.

That may have been interesting though.

That angle definitely disturbs me.

It implies someone would want to have sex with Baby Doll.

Nash said something along the lines of "They don't give a shit about us, Bret Hart, you piece of shit!" or something like that. I was sitting there thinking "huh?"

Guest Loss

The TNT censor working that night was late for work. No joke.

They edited it out of the replay.

Nash said "shit" three times on Nitro that night and it wasn't censored. If I remember correctly, the reason it wasn't bleeped was simply because none of TNT's censors were paying attention to the show at the time.

Hilarious.

Nash said something along the lines of "They don't give a shit about us, Bret Hart, you piece of shit!" or something like that. I was sitting there thinking "huh?"

I actually remember this now.

What about the time Kid Rock dropped the F-bomb on Raw?

I actually remember this now.

What about the time Kid Rock dropped the F-bomb on Raw?

yea and as I recall, usa forgot to edit it out for the west coast feed tape delay. I was shocked at that (bret harts famous worked shoot tirade against vince in march 97 got bleeped here

well akeem was nicknamed "the african dream" rhodes famous nickname was the american dream. thats a pretty clear jab there, as well as the fact that akeem acted like he was black, not unlike dusty rhodes himself (but to a much more exagreerated degree)

Guest MikeSC

well akeem was nicknamed "the african dream" rhodes famous nickname was the american dream. thats a pretty clear jab there, as well as the fact that akeem acted like he was black, not unlike dusty rhodes himself (but to a much more exagreerated degree)

Akeem was a definite rib on Rhodes, as Rhodes "talked black" in the eyes of some.

Then again, both sides made childish digs.

-=Mike

On the preshow for WW3 in 98, Scott Norton vs Booker T for the IWGP title was announced as one of the matches, but never happened. Why was this?

On the preshow for WW3 in 98, Scott Norton vs Booker T for the IWGP title was announced as one of the matches, but never happened. Why was this?

I know at one point WCW wanted a Norton v Van Hammer, I think, IWGP Title match for Starrcade, and that got cancelled, I'm guessing for the same reason as this match did, because New Japan didn't want to sully the IWGP Title with a match against someone it felt was many levels beneath the title.

Guest MikeSC
On the preshow for WW3 in 98, Scott Norton vs Booker T for the IWGP title was announced as one of the matches, but never happened.  Why was this?

I know at one point WCW wanted a Norton v Van Hammer, I think, IWGP Title match for Starrcade, and that got cancelled, I'm guessing for the same reason as this match did, because New Japan didn't want to sully the IWGP Title with a match against someone it felt was many levels beneath the title.

Do you think the problem with WCW booking a DQ finish in an IWGP Tag Title match where, apparently, Bulldog & Neidhart won the Tag Titles from Chono & somebody (might have been Mutoh) would've played a role? That happened in 1998, I believe. I assumed NJPW was livid.

-=Mike