TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

Metal Gear Solid 3

Picked it up today, and it's really good so far. I don't want to spoil the story, so I'll just say that it's fucking HARD without radar.

Oh, and when selecting a new game, pick "I Liked MGS2" for a....different opening movie.

Guest fanofcoils

I was going to create a topic on this game earlier today with NO SOLD! being the subtitle but I saw that the game got a disappointing 8.7 rating on gamespot so I decided against it.

An 8.7 rating is disappointing?

I just read the EGM review in my magazine here, and it has me really pumped up for it. I'll get it some time before the end of the year.

Oh, and when selecting a new game, pick "I Liked MGS2" for a....different opening movie.

Why should I have to lie to a video game?

An 8.7 rating is disappointing?

These days, for a game with that much hype, yeah.

Konami must not have shelled out enough sheckles to GameSpot.

I don't think an 8.7 is disappointing. Hell, even UYA got an 8.7 from GameSpot, that's a great score from them overall.

Besides all of that, the overall score at GameRankings for MGS3 is 92%. That sounds good enough to me.

Guest fanofcoils

Metal Gear Solid 3 didn't get the hype it should have gotten due to all these other great games coming out around the same time. 8.7 is a disappointing rating because it was expected to get a 9.4+ rating.

Australia doesn't get this until MARCH. I'm going to have to avoid spoilers like the plague.

From what little I've seen though (IGN.com's review & screenshots), it looks downright amazing. IGN have also stated that Konami have already began preliminary work on Metal Gear 4, which will likely be for the PS3 and the true sequel to Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

UYI

I wanna get this, but alas I am jobless, so I might have to just put it on my christmas list, unless I happen to score a job in the next week or two.

More thoughts:

The camera sucks, and the lack of radar makes it VERY hard to sneak around enemies.; However, the boss fights thus far have been too easy. I'm pretty far in and the story hasn't been to developed yet, but supposedly the last 1/3rd is where everything is brought together.

"Who are the patriots". ;)

It sounds like, if I gave the game a shot, I may need to get around to hiring that hitman to stab Hideo through the face with a scale model of a nuclear warhead.

Anyone else heard that this is the final Metal Gear Solid ever? That being, the last in the 'Solid' series of the game?

It will be interesting to see what they do with MG4.

No, haven't heard of that. I've heard it hinted at that eventually Hideo might stop doing any work at all on any future Metal Gear games, though.

I really, really hope so.

I'd prefer Zone of the Enders 3 would be made rather than Hideo doing anything further with Metal Gear, though. First was kinda lame, but I had a lot of fun with ZotE2. Boktai is little more than a lame gimmick game to me.

The radar and sonar make sneaking a lot easier without the radar.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 is the last in the Solid series. It seems to tie up the theme for good. The loose ends in MGS2 might never be explained, I'm not sure if Hideo ever intended to.

Well Konami have began production on MG4, as stated earlier. So it will will have to address Metal Gear 2 in some respect, at least. However, it could turn out to be something COMPLETELY different to what anyone would expect. Way too early to even make an educated guess, anyway.

Well I just beat it, and I liked it a lot. I still prefer Metal Gear Solid's story out of the three, but MGS3 comes in a close second.

The whole last chase with the Shagohod to The Fight with The Boss is my favorite part of any video game ever. It's just loads of fun and the graphics are unbelievable.

...and "Snake" looks badass with the eye patch.

IGN.com just confirmed that Metal Gear 4 is coming in 2006 to the Playstation 2. God knows why Hideo would want to limit himself on the ancient hardware of the PS2 and now totally blow us away by flexing some PS3 muscle.

Oh well, shall be a fine swan song.

Guest wildpegasus
Anyone else heard that this is the final Metal Gear Solid ever? That being, the last in the 'Solid' series of the game?

It will be interesting to see what they do with MG4.

No, haven't heard of that. I've heard it hinted at that eventually Hideo might stop doing any work at all on any future Metal Gear games, though.

I really, really hope so.

I'd prefer Zone of the Enders 3 would be made rather than Hideo doing anything further with Metal Gear, though. First was kinda lame, but I had a lot of fun with ZotE2. Boktai is little more than a lame gimmick game to me.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood right now but this attitude really ticks me off. Too many people are jumping on the "Metal Gear Solid 2 is overrated and is not as good as Metal Gear Solid 1 so MGS2 sucks now. I now hate MGS2 with a passion, Kojima is overrated and dread the day when MGS3 comes out so I have to tell everyone about my hate of MGS3 and Kojima" bandwagon. Heh, that might make a good signature.

Hey bozos! Why do you post about a game that's not even out yet and say you hate it even when you haven't played it yet? Video games are something you buy. Nobody's forcing you to play it. It makes me sick. I'm not saying this is AndrewTS but man this attitude is really getting on my nerves. Still, his posting of the "I really, really hope so" link is extreamly annoying and sorry to be blunt here but I gotta say it -- stupid. Does it matter to you that much that Kojima stops making Metal Gear games because OF 1 GAME, 1 GAME!!!!!!!!!! that wasn't up to par with one of the better games of all time in MGS on the playstation? Are you so hurt by that 1 game that "was so forced upon you" that you have to go completely out of your way to find a website that declares their hatred for a game, post it on a weblink and declare all possable future Metal Gear Solid horrable things that should never come to fruitition? That's like saying back in the mid 90s, "Well, I didn't like Kobashi's preformance on whatever date so I now hate whatever match he will do in the future." Than you would've missed out on one of the best matches ever -- Kobashi vs Misawa 1/20/97.

Please Andrew TS, think about what you're saying. It sounds like your feelings were hurt from MGS2 not being the best thing to happen to humanity and as a result you're lashing out against anything Metal Gear in the future. They made a Game Boy game awhile back which I heard was pretty good. Maybe you'd want to try that.

BTW, this is not a dig against AndrewTS but just a dig against what he posted.

Oh my god..I just beat it and that was AMAZING. Up until the end I wasn't liking it as much as the others, but the climax is just unbelievable. The last hour of gameplay has to be one of the best chase scenes and final battles ever. The ending is really long and extremely satisfying.

WP: It's clear to me that you don't quite get my beefs with Solid 2 and Hideo, and you're going into a hysterical rant over nothing. But hey, rant away.

I'm not saying this is AndrewTS but man this attitude is really getting on my nerves. Still, his posting of the "I really, really hope so" link is extreamly annoying and sorry to be blunt here but I gotta say it -- stupid. Does it matter to you that much that Kojima stops making Metal Gear games because OF 1 GAME, 1 GAME!!!!!!!!!! that wasn't up to par with one of the better games of all time in MGS on the playstation?

Nope, I'm simply saying that after Solid 2, a game which Kojima was far more concerned about using to express certain themes rather than he was about actually making a decent, coherent story with interesting characters to actually get it across, I'm highly skeptical about Solid 3. This is especially due to the fact that reviews, comments, info, etc seem to indicate that camera issues and gameplay may not quite be up to snuff and that the game itself isn't all that mind-blowing.

However, I'm not plunking down $50 bucks to give it a chance. Plus, my view on Hideo is extremely soured, and not just over MGS2. He's some one who I had once viewed as a game producer who had, for the most part, similar priorities in making games had become another "interactivist" in my eyes. I'd hoped he'd regressed on that, but I've yet to hear anything to the contrary.

It was a great idea to go backwards with Solid 3, because that Solid 2 mess was so damn stupid he'd pretty much painted himself into a corner.

Are you so hurt by that 1 game that "was so forced upon you" that you have to go completely out of your way to find a website that declares their hatred for a game, post it on a weblink and declare all possable future Metal Gear Solid horrable things that should never come to fruitition?

Considering I have Penny Arcade bookmarked and visit it frequently, and I don't have that view towards the series at all, no. I'm just convinced that Hideo seems to think the Metal Gear games *need* him, and they don't. Rather, he needs the Metal Gear games. I'd not mind seeing them taken in a different direction, although I know that Metal Gear is his baby and he's not going to be leaving them until he wants to.

That's like saying back in the mid 90s, "Well, I didn't like Kobashi's preformance on whatever date so I now hate whatever match he will do in the future." Than you would've missed out on one of the best matches ever -- Kobashi vs Misawa 1/20/97.

I thought we'd banned GreatOne, but here's a silly out-of-context wrestling analogy in all its glory.

They made a Game Boy game awhile back which I heard was pretty good. Maybe you'd want to try that.

Game Boy *Color*, and yes, it was called Metal Gear Solid, but it was more like a old Metal Gear game with some of the newer elements added. It was titled Metal Gear: Ghost Babel in Japan. Damn fine game, in fact. I don't know the point you wanted to make with that was though, since that game's over 4 years old.

I'll of course reserve judgment until I play, but it is rather frustratating when some one who played it is gushing over the graphics and so forth, but when I ask about gameplay, I get nothing at all in response.

IGN.com just confirmed that Metal Gear 4 is coming in 2006 to the Playstation 2. God knows why Hideo would want to limit himself on the ancient hardware of the PS2 and now totally blow us away by flexing some PS3 muscle.

Considering plans changed, Sony has not released any clear public information about PS3, and Sony will only be "announcing" major details on the PS3 in 2005, it's still a safe bet.

Guest fanofcoils

Oh well, shall be a fine swan song.

IGN's report was messed up when it said that with the headline being that and the story not being that and now IGN changed the headline and it still goes to the outdated story. Just hope that MGS 4 is not going to PS2.

I hated MGS2, and was pretty skeptical about 3, but believe me, it's a great game. The story is straightfoward and actually makes sesnse. It manages to have the depth of MGS2 without all the crazy twists that made the story confusing. My only complaint is the camera system, which made it too hard to sneak around, so sometimes I had to do the "Run and gun" method.

I hated MGS2, and was pretty skeptical about 3, but believe me, it's a great game. The story is straightfoward and actually makes sesnse. It manages to have the depth of MGS2 without all the crazy twists that made the story confusing. My only complaint is the camera system, which made it too hard to sneak around, so sometimes I had to do the "Run and gun" method.

Explain the "depth" you mean, because I rarely see professional reviews give me anything substantial. Even the positive reviews are like "well, it's not a big step up from MGS2 like MGS2 was a big step up (gameplay-wise, not in any other area) from MGS" and "but the last part of the game is really awesome!"

With people finishing it already it sounds like a great pickup for a GH title down the line, but it doesn't seem all that pressing to get now, IMO.

Yes, I'm a cheap, cynical bastard. :P

I just got a PS2 demo disc in the mail, and it has a whole bunch of playable demos on it, including MGS3. I'm going to check it out, then I'll let you know what I think of it.

Guest Failed Mascot

I did a search on this game title rather than start a new topic, and I have to ask; Have more than 2 people played this and enjoyed it thus far? I only ask because it appears to be a likely Christmas gift I'm getting.

I'll admit it too, besides the ending I liked MGS2. The gameplay was enjoyable and beating people up via the naked cartwheel was different. I loved the start of the game on the ship. Stuffing people into the lockers and then opening fire on them to kill them was awesome. I think people hate on it too much because of Rydain(sp?). Who cares if you don't play as Solid Snake the whole way through. I mean you run around as a crappy block of pixels in the original NES versions and nobody complains.

Its a fun game that gets shat on by elitists.

is it so hard for video game companies to make true blue sequels these days...I mean the true sequel to Resident Evil 2 is just now coming out right? didn't 2 come out like almost 7 or 8 years ago? Everything else has been side quests and prequels...I'd take a remake of the original Metal Gear game over a prequel anyday...