TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frankie Williams

Who has been more sucsessful in WWE?

Both arrived on the scene the same time in 2000. Benoit was the first to win gold capturing the IC title at WM 2000. Geurrero won his first title the night after defeating Chris Jericho for the European title. Both have worn tag team gold. Geurrero is also a multi time IC champ. Eddie has been gone from action a couple times due to personal problems, while the only real time Benoit has been gone was due to injury. Both of course are former World Champs. But Benoit has won the Royal Rumble, and main evented a WM. Dispite the losing the title and the weaker roster, Eddie is the top face on Smackdown, while Benoit has dropped a few notches on Raw after losing his title.

My question: who has had the better run and why?

Geurrero is also a multi time IC champ

So is Benoit.

Benoit, he had a longer run, decent (could have been better) booking as the champion and didn't let his personal problems end his title reign prematurely.

In terms of accomplishments, they are about equal.

In terms of who looks the best to the fans (in my eyes), I'd give it to Eddie. Even me as a fan, Benoit at times just looks like he's presented as "just another wrestler" whereas Eddie has his special entrance, and to me just looks more important.

Guest LooneyTune

Both have had equal amounts of success, but I'll go with Benoit since he never held a Low-Card Title (Guerrero is a former European Champion)...yeah that's lame, but it's really hard to say who did better, since both have done the same stuff at equal amounts of success.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Benoit is consistantly in the upper card and working programs with HHH on regular basis...Eddy is jerking the curtain against Reigns.

Eddy had the title taken from him because he couldn't handle the pressure...Benoit held the title longer then they intended to.

Benoit's dvd was better too.

Both guys are even. I'm more captivated by Benoit's story than Eddie (though Eddie went through a lot more adversity than Benoit did) just because I've always been a bigger fan of his.

I think Benoit's had a bigger impact because he was the main player when they brought him into the company in 2000, and he's had tons of ups and downs when it came to his on-screen character...and he had the picture perfect moment at Wrestlemania.

Successful? Both are on the same level. Better story? For me, Benoit. But it could go either way.

Benoit. He was pushed as the leader of the Radicalz, main evented for four months in 2000, was getting another main event push when he injured his neck, was the focal point of the Smackdown 6 Wars (along with Angle), won the Royal Rumble from #1 setting the time record, main evented Wrestlemania by forcing the biggest current star in the company to tap clean, and had a longer title run than Eddy. Benoit also rarely has jobbed clean (he's jobbed to Orton & Angle, even HHH had to cheat to beat him at No Mercy 2000 when HHH was the face), whereas Eddy jobs all the time. Benoit has had the chance to dominate several feuds, like with Jericho in 2000 or HHH in 2004. Even when Eddy won the title, he more or less got lucky. Aside from mid-2003 when Eddy was getting his US Title push and Benoit was being treated poorly, Benoit has always been above Eddy in the eyes of management.

Guest QUP2CME

The reason Benoit had the bigger/better matches is because he is on Raw. While he was the top face he could of had fueds with HHH, Orton (who was heel at the time), Batista, Kane and HBK, who was being booked as a tweener even though he was probably the more over face.

On Smackdown once Eddie got done with Angle their was......who? Big Show was injured, Undertaker was a face, Cena was a face. A Lesnar fued would have been awesome but he packed up and left. He was left with a horrible program with JBL.

I look at it this way. If Eddie was on Raw and he won the Rumble and he went on to wrestle HHH at WM, then he would have neen way more over and the Raw would still probably be booked around him.

Guest uyaljg
If Eddie was on Raw and he won the Rumble and he went on to wrestle HHH at WM, then he would have been way more over and the Raw would still probably be booked around him.

:huh:

That's a pretty big "if". "If" Funaki won the Royal Rumble and went on to wrestle Triple H at WMXX, he would seem more over too. The fact is, Guerrero didn't win the Rumble and face Triple H at WMXX, and so Benoit had the better year.

I'd give the edge to Eddy because of his personality development. The Latino Heat character took on a mind of its own like nobody expected it to. While he's still an incredible worker, Benoit is very similar to the really intense character he had in WCW, but he's not really much more than that. Eddy has proved that he can not only wrestle, but talk like a superstar.

Guest Korgath

Benoit. The fact that the thread starter can spell his name and not Guerrero's is reason enough.

Watch it with those zingers, dude. Just cause it's the internet doesn't mean you can't hurt peoples feelings.

Both Benoit and Guerrero as champions got screwed over but Benoit probably wins just because he managed to keep his job. That should be reason enough considering that Kahran did a great job of showcasing the other stuff.

Guest Hass of Pain

They have both been successful and the question kind of needs to be a little bit more specific, but personally I am slightly more impressed with Eddie Guerrero's accomplishments over the past year or so. As someone pointed out, it was far easier for Benoit to do what he did and have the calibur of matches that he did on Raw. That isn't to discount his accomplishments, but HHH is such an effective heel that anyone making him tap for the title would put them over as the hottest face in wrestling. Guerrero on the other hand didn't have a lot of opponents to work with. If you're fueding with JBL over border control in one of your first major programs, chances are the roster is a little bit on the thin side. However, Eddie not only made it work but he really boosted Hispanic interest and attendance in Smackdown and largely carried the brand on his back for a while with almost everyone out due to injury or personal reasons. For that reason, I'll give Eddie the slight nod though both were incredible.

Guest Teckneek
Both arrived on the scene the same time in 2000. Benoit was the first to win gold capturing the IC title at WM 2000. Geurrero won his first title the night after defeating Chris Jericho for the European title. Both have worn tag team gold. Geurrero is also a multi time IC champ. Eddie has been gone from action a couple times due to personal problems, while the only real time Benoit has been gone was due to injury. Both of course are former World Champs. But Benoit has won the Royal Rumble, and main evented a WM. Dispite the losing the title and the weaker roster, Eddie is the top face on Smackdown, while Benoit has dropped a few notches on Raw after losing his title.

Eddie Guerrero:

European Champion

Intercontinental Champion

WWE Tag Team Champion

First ever WWE United States Champion

WWE Champion

Guerrero held both the United States Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship at the same time

Chris Benoit:

Intercontintental Champion

World Tag Team Champion

World Heavyweight Champion

Benoit held both the World Heavyweight Championship and World Tag Team Championship at the same time

Winner: Eddie Guerrero

Guest combat_rock

Personally, I think it's like comparing apples and oranges, at least for the past year. I mean, yes Benoit has had better matches, but then, the worst worker he had on PPV was Kane. Eddie got stuck with two JBL matches and a Luther Reigns one. However, Guerrero has undoubtedly been the MVP of Smackdown, while it's a bit more contentious statement to say that Benoit's been the MVP of Raw. In fact, since he's lost the WHC, he's pretty much been de-pushed. As for their early stuff, while Benoit was pushed higher intially, they eventually leveled out to a very even mid-card status and pretty much stayed that way untill they each got their main event pushes.

So it's a really tough call, but I'm going to go with Benoit.

Chris Benoit:

Intercontintental Champion

World Tag Team Champion

World Heavyweight Champion

Benoit held both the World Heavyweight Championship and World Tag Team Championship at the same time

You forgot first WWE Tag Team Champion with Kurt Angle

Guest Tjhe CyNick

Overall I'd say Chris has been more consistant, but thats due to Eddie's problems more than anything.

As world champions, I would give the nod to Eddie. Eddie actually had an impact of numbers in ceratin markets, whereas Chris didn't. The Backlash show in Edmonton didn't sell out, whereas JD day in LA did (JD and NWO both headlined by Eddie were the only single brand shows to sell out). Granted LA is a bigger market, but then again Benoit had the benefit of being on the depper show, which in theory should be an easier sell.

Eddie also had an impact on a lot of boarder markets, and again Chris had no such effect of tix sales. Eddie was also able to draw in the Latino audience to SD which without it, SD would have been in the toilet in terms of ratings.

Also, you have to give Eddie bonus points considering how badly they crippled SD after Mania. Benoit had the benefit of having better talent and being on the HHH show. Of course that also made Benoit a mid carder in the lon-run, but Eddie's in the same spot, so.

Guest QUP2CME
If Eddie was on Raw and he won the Rumble and he went on to wrestle HHH at WM, then he would have been way more over and the Raw would still probably be booked around him.

:huh:

That's a pretty big "if". "If" Funaki won the Royal Rumble and went on to wrestle Triple H at WMXX, he would seem more over too. The fact is, Guerrero didn't win the Rumble and face Triple H at WMXX, and so Benoit had the better year.

What i'm saying is that Benoit got the higher profile matches and the bigger/better fueds beacause he was working on the superior brand. Comparing Funkaki to Benoit and Eddie is stupid.

Both Eddie and Benoit got their pushes at about the same time. On Smackdown Eddie had just disposed of Chavo and on Raw Benoit had just won the Rumble. Benoit had been getting what I like to call 'respect pops' from the crowd while Eddie was over because of his gimmick/character. The only time I think that Benoit character was legitametly over with the audience was at WM 20 where there was a large amount of smart fans in attendance.

My argument was that if Eddie was given the ball that Benoit was given and had been able to run with it then Raw and the WWE IMO would be in a better position then it is now.

Chris Benoit: Won the World Heavyweight championship by making Triple H tap out in the Main Event of WrestleMania XX (day over 5 month reign), Won the 2004 Royal Rumble (entered #1), Made HBK tap out in WM XX rematch, 4 time Intercontinental champion defeating Angle (technically Jericho) - Jericho - Billy Gunn - Rob Van Dam, won three WWE World Tag Team championships (Jericho - Edge 2x), one time WWE SmackDown! Tag Team champion (Angle), has had great matches with Jericho - Angle - Eddie Guerrero- HHH - Rock - Austin - Lesnar - HBK - Orton - Edge - RVD.

Eddie Guerrero: Won the WWE World Heavyweight championship from Brock Lesnar at No Way Out (over 4 month reign), retained his WWE title at WM XX against Kurt Angle, has won one WWE United States Heavyweight Championship defeating Benoit, has held three WWE SmackDown! Tag Team Championships (Tajiri - Chavo Guerrero 2x), two time Intercontinental champion defeating Rob Van Dam and Chyna, two time European champion defeating Chris Jericho and Test, has had great matches with Benoit - Angle - Edge - Rey Jr - WGTT - Jericho - Lesnar.

Overall: Benoit, since he has ME'd a WM, and won a Royal Rumble.

Eddy has main evented two PPVs in the WWF. Armageddon will be his third. In addition, he defended the WWE Title at another (GAB) for a total of three main event calibre matches in his WWE career.

Benoit has main evented seven PPVs, challenged for the WWE Title at one (Royal Rumble 2003) and defended the World Title at another (Badd Blood 2004) for a total of nine. So Benoit has main evented (or equivalent) at a rate 3x that of Guerrero.

Main Events at Pay Per Views:

Chris Benoit: 2003 Royal Rumble, WrestleMania XX, Backlash 2004, Vengeance 2004, SummerSlam 2004, Unforgiven 2000, Survivor Series 2004, King of the Ring 2001, Fully Loaded 2000.

Eddie Guerrero: No Way Out 2004, Judgement Day 2004, Armageddon 2004.

Benoit has Main Evented at all of the bigger Pay Per Views (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series), where Guerrero has not.